Author Topic: What Summer Magic Evocations have you made/seen?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
What Summer Magic Evocations have you made/seen?
« on: October 23, 2010, 02:56:33 AM »
I am really enjoying the concepts of Seelie magic the more that I read them, but I am kind of at a loss of what are good evocations to use with them.  Summer could of course use a fire blast, an evocation healing effect (would this remove current stress on the person as well as starting them on the road to recovery?), possibly an evocation superboost to physical atts?  It is an aspect of Biomancy.  What about shields, I was thinking that a fun shield would be to rapidly grow a wall of plants, probably vines, to intercept the attack.  One could also employ a fire shield.  After that I am at a loss though.  So what fun things have you seen done or have you thought of doing with Summer Magic?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What Summer Magic Evocations have you made/seen?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:58:21 PM »
Unrestrained or uneven growth can potentially be as damaging as fire.  Imagine how damaging mythically strong muscles would be if ligaments and bones can't take the pressure.  Or how difficult sudden extreme obesity would be to deal with.  Try walking with one leg grown to immense proportions...or holding a gun when your hand is suddenly larger than Andre the Giant's.  Most of those break one of the White Council laws, but you're a fae so do you care?  :)

Plants can entangle or even strangle.  Sudden growth of bamboo or other plants could be an attack.  Natural clothing (wool, cotton, leathers) could be grown into bindings, armor, returned to its natural (and growing state), or perhaps even be a weapon to attack the wearer.  Natural tools and weapons could be enhanced...or grown into uselessness.  Turning a polished oak dash in a luxury car into a full grown tree might be useful at some point.  Though it might be beyond most evocation.  Returning those snakeskin boots to temporary life may be easier.  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:54:45 AM »
For that matter cancer is essentially unrestrained growth. How's anyone going to function well when they suddenly have a tumor the size of a baseball somewhere.

Also a huge part of all fey magic is illusion too. You could work veils, and glamours to your heart's content.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:47:25 AM »
Allergies, as maybe a non-lethal grapple or block of some sort. If the person is sneezing or coughing or itching bad enough, he isn't likely to do much else but he isn't likely to keel over and die like if you were to burninate him.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:52:34 AM »
For that matter cancer is essentially unrestrained growth. How's anyone going to function well when they suddenly have a tumor the size of a baseball somewhere.

Magic, the ultimate carcinogen. Tremble.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 07:03:04 AM »
Let's borrow an idea in the memory of Robert Jordan;

In the Eye of the World, there's this fight between our team of heroes, a Nym (sort of a walking tree with power over plants) and the Forsaken Balthamel and Aginor (think of them as Senior Council -level evil wizards if you don't know the series). The Nym in question grabs Balthamel and while Balthamel burns him, he makes fungi grow on the Forsaken's body in the blink of an eye. And said fungi literally devour the Forsaken's flesh in order to grow.

So guys, next time your summer wizard meets an ugly vampire or something, just recycle it into the circle of life with a "fungus blast". I think that's pretty much what Eldest Brother Gruff did on Magog.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 04:25:01 PM »
0.0 that fungus one sounds brutal me like  ;D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
What about a spell to inflict Aspects like SUN STROKE or PARCHED on a target?

I don't know if you play any White Wolf games, but look over at Changeling's Summer Contracts for inspiration.

One thing I was thinking of having for an agent of Summer was an Item of Power that's basically a stick that will grow vines, leaves, thorns, and anything else as a shapechanging weapon.