Author Topic: How many is too many?  (Read 4676 times)

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How many is too many?
« on: October 23, 2010, 01:28:47 AM »
How many wizards are in an average party on the boards?
Mine has 1 full time r and one part timer(Real life shceduling stuff)
I'm just wondering.
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How many is too many?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 02:11:45 AM »
We have two players. Both wizards.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:14:09 AM »
there's one wizard in my game... me! and im full time but mostly because i double as the GM  ;D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 07:07:50 AM »
I had a game with five full powered casters (Four wizards, and one fey-sponsored caster). It seemed to work out but most of us had very different bents.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
It probably depends on your areas of focus. If you're careful to avoid overlapping too much on elements and have widely varied Aspects, you could probably cram a lot of wizards into the same group without issue.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »
So many factors & variables... but it wouldn't be unusual to have a party of all-wizards. Say, they were a world-trooping cadre of Wardens who chase down rumours of Kemmlerites and retrieve artifacts of ill repute. I'd say there'd be tweaking involved if they were 5 wizards based in the town of Muckamuckmuck, Midwestern USA, population 105 :)

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »
The only problem with lots of spellcasters is that you need powerful enemies to fight. With a manuever, an aspect, and a decent roll, my guy killed a dozen ghouls in one hit. That same spell used a little differently could deliver 17 shifts of damage without issue. Throw stronger baddies, and you'll be fine. Or, go with something like a White, a social queen who they are too smitten to fight with.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
We're up to 7 players, 5 of which use some form of spellcasting.  Avoiding the BBEG in favor of multiple enemies and/or goals gives them different stuff to do.  House ruling some cooperative magic helps, too.  Two wizards casting weapon 4 fire attacks is fun, but two wizards combining for a weapon 8 fire attack is even more fun.   (it also might be a little over-powered, as I just allow them to stack their evocation power ratings together after each paying the 1 mental stress.  But I make one assist the discipline roll, and one control it, which means someone has to pull off a fairly hard check if they do it). 

We have a full wizard, a crafter/thaumaturge, two different sponsored magic users, and a lesser thaumaturge, and no one complains about it at all.  They just decide who handles what and go from there:  For example, someone might focus on saving the babies from being sacrificed, another might focus on the enemies, another will protect the group, someone else might try to disrupt the enemies' ritual, and the last one might go out for pizza. Or veil the whole battle from normies.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 02:29:25 AM »
Here's an issue I've run into - what do the non-spell casters do when someone is trying a thaumaturge rite? Most require prep work which means the spot light switches to "let's get this spell off" as the caster tries to tag this aspect and that temporary aspect to get the prep work done.

Richard

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »
Here's an issue I've run into - what do the non-spell casters do when someone is trying a thaumaturge rite? Most require prep work which means the spot light switches to "let's get this spell off" as the caster tries to tag this aspect and that temporary aspect to get the prep work done.

Richard

There's not a lot they can do, but they can set up aspects for the wizard to tag in his preparation.  They can be the ones to run to the store for ingredients, or to scare off onlookers that would disturb the wizards concentration, or any number of other things.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 03:04:36 PM »
The only problem with lots of spellcasters is that you need powerful enemies to fight. With a manuever, an aspect, and a decent roll, my guy killed a dozen ghouls in one hit. That same spell used a little differently could deliver 17 shifts of damage without issue. Throw stronger baddies, and you'll be fine. Or, go with something like a White, a social queen who they are too smitten to fight with.

Whoa, spill the beans!  17 shift attack means 12 stress minimum with a 5 conviction! I do know there are ways to tasK the spells, but I want to see how you pull these off!

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
Whoa, spill the beans!  17 shift attack means 12 stress minimum with a 5 conviction! I do know there are ways to tasK the spells, but I want to see how you pull these off!

He had +6 Control and Discipline. He tagged an Aspect and invoked an Aspect. he got +1 on the roll. +11 control with a Weapon 6 attack. Undodgeable to almost everything, takes out ghouls in a single hit.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »

Richard

If those norms are at least a little in the know then there's plenty that they can do. They can do research, find ingredients, etc. On top of that the one casting the ritual is technically the one taking himself "out of scene." There's no reason why you shouldn't encourage the mortals to work at the problem a different way or work on other problems while the wizard is busy.

Offline adgramaine

• Conversationalist
  • Me n' Harry, we got a few things in common!
    • View Profile
    • Haphazard Projects Forum
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 09:40:22 PM »
It looks like my table is going to have two full-time resident sorcerers - I know, a slight step down, but they are planning on building up to Wizard status in game play. They play off each other marvelously: one's evocation spec'ed and the other uses Thaum. They're a pretty damn effective team.

What gives my table grief is the were-hyena.    :-\
Faith is seeing the light when all about is dark.

It's a Living!

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 01:00:03 AM »
Were-hyena?  No problem: just charge him a Fate every time he laughs, since he's clearly invoking his High Concept...  :p