Author Topic: Fate Points economy flow.  (Read 2301 times)

Offline aardvark

• Participant
    • View Profile
Fate Points economy flow.
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
I have some situations and i need some clarifications.
Main question is — where FP go after (to PC, NPC or GM)?
1) PC invoke _his_ aspect in conflict versus NPC.
2) PC invoke NPC aspect in conflict versus NPC.
3) PC compel NPC via aspect.
4) PC compel NPC via consequence.
5) PC self-compel via consequence. ("I realy need to see a doctor") Do FP generation realy occurs in this situation?

Number 3 is easy i think FP goes to NPC, but others.... Im kinda not realy sure.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Fate Points economy flow.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:20:30 AM »
As I read it:

1. Fate Point to GM
2. Fate Point to NPC
3. Fate Point to NPC
4. Fate Point to NPC - consequences are aspects just like any other, and the same rules apply
5. Fate Point to PC - self compelling a consequence is still a compel

Page 106 says (under the heading of 'Invoking other aspects') that "if you’re invoking an aspect on another PC or on a NPC to gain an advantage over them, that character will receive the fate point you spent". NPC compels work exactly like PC compels as regards where the fate point goes. The only time a Fate Point won't go to an NPC when you use one of their aspects against them is if you're 'tagging' - which involves no fate point spend.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:25:27 AM by babel2uk »

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »
1. GM
2. NPC
3. NPC
4. NPC
5. PC

I'm just repeating what babel said, with this addition:

The GM has final say over whether 3, 4 or 5 are valid compels.  If he says its no-go, then the fate point doesn't go anywhere.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
Agree with the above.  Babel's last sentence is important: the free tag against a new consequence doesn't give the victim a Fate (though they will get a Fate if they are taken out but return later).

I think that Fate points spent to activate aspects generated by maneuvers or declarations (after the free tag) also go to the pot, not the victim.

Offline aardvark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:49:12 AM »
Many Thanks! Seems i need an one more accurate reading of the fate mechanic part of the book.
I think that Fate points spent to activate aspects generated by maneuvers or declarations (after the free tag) also go to the pot, not the victim.
My thoughts too, but by "106rule" it seems go to the victim pot. So it may be arguable in times when.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:14:36 AM »
The way I read it is this:

Any aspect that is attached to a character is invokeable or compellable, regardless of how it got there. Scene aspects are assumed to be 'on the character sheet' of everyone involved in that scene.

Any time you spend fate points to invoke or compel an aspect on another character's sheet (be they temporary, permanent or scene) they get the fate point that you spend. The only aspects you can invoke without giving your fate point to the person you're using it against is when you are invoking your own aspects for advantage over someone.

Offline aardvark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »
Any aspect that is attached to a character is invokeable or compellable, regardless of how it got there. Scene aspects are assumed to be 'on the character sheet' of everyone involved in that scene.

Any time you spend fate points to invoke or compel an aspect on another character's sheet (be they temporary, permanent or scene) they get the fate point that you spend. The only aspects you can invoke without giving your fate point to the person you're using it against is when you are invoking your own aspects for advantage over someone.
Wow, that good and clever thinking. If Aspect is not on your sheet you don`t get points and Scene aspects... Briliant! It bring a whole bunch of light in my darkened thoughts process. Thanks again!

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
Just did a bit of reading, and I agree with Babel's assessment.  One addition, though is that you can also get Fate points from scene compels:

"Scene Compels
Scene aspects may imply some circumstances
that will befall any (or many) of the characters
in the scene—Everything Is Burning! is
a classic example and a frequent aspect in any
scene involving Harry Dresden. In such a case,
it’s entirely apropos to act as if that aspect is on
each character’s sheet and compel (see page 100)
the aspect for each of them, dishing fate points
all around and nicely covering the effects the
aspect has on the characters in the scene." (YS107)