Author Topic: WWIII (if you're in my supernatural cincinnati game KEEP OUT!!!  (Read 5504 times)

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
WWIII (if you're in my supernatural cincinnati game KEEP OUT!!!
« on: October 19, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »
I'm planning on tricking the players in my game into starting world war three but i can't for the life of me figure out a smooth cohearent way to do it without something like having them kill a super natural baddie who is also an ambassador so i thought i would throw it up here and see if anyone could help
thx
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:02:09 PM by ralexs1991 »
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline adgramaine

• Conversationalist
  • Me n' Harry, we got a few things in common!
    • View Profile
    • Haphazard Projects Forum
Re: WWIII (if you're in my supernatural cincinnati game KEEP OUT!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »
I don't think the word 'simple' can be used in reference to orchestrating the Third World War....
Faith is seeing the light when all about is dark.

It's a Living!

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 08:01:49 PM »
I don't think the word 'simple' can be used in reference to orchestrating the Third World War....

touche lol ;D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »
Whatever you do, don't let the players feel like they had no choice. It will almost certainly end badly.

It's impossible to give any specific advice without a specific situation, but I can think of a couple methods that should work for just about any set of circumstances:

1. Straight up Compel them. This isn't really a trick, but it has the advantage of simplicity. Be prepared to Up The Ante.

2. Don't actually have them cause it. Have them be present when it happens, and have NPCs blame them for it afterwards. PCs being PCs, it's likely that they will actually have done something to make themselves at least partly responsible. This works especially well if the players are affiliated with one of the sides in the war.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »
You know, Wizards having a negative effect on tech could have an impact. If your PC's accidentally fried some important data or defense systems then other nations might be tempted to take advantage of that.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:42:53 PM »
You know, Wizards having a negative effect on tech could have an impact. If your PC's accidentally fried some important data or defense systems then other nations might be tempted to take advantage of that.

Oh I love this! Wizard meets thermo nuclear rocked silo ... BÄM!

Seriously: I agree with Sanctaphrax. You'll probably not able to steer the PC into doing it on their own. You probably can make them kick lose the tiny snowball that becomes the avalanche. You can probably make them take the blame for the greater good. You can probably make them be present when it happens and after the fact feel responsible for not trying to prevent it.

The last may be a very good idea. If possible, offer them a moral choice. Offer them the choice of saving a loved one of a character or preventing the war. That's classic and at least for my players I know they'd try to save the loved person...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:26 PM »
Denarians are always looking to bring about Death and Despair.   

What if Nic/Tessa had a plot to blow up a low-level nuclear weapon in a major NY city (Chicago would be ideal, but Cincinati is certainly an option), and planned to get it blamed on terrorists.

Instead, PC actions causes the US government to think that the Chinese (OR the Russians or even Iran) are behind it, causing them to retaliate by launching a single Minuteman missile at a "non-civilian" target (powerplant/ military base/ Nuclear power plant).  Then, a series of ever-escalating responses ensues (over the course of 48 hours - military bases, a major city or two, then Taiwan, then everything), until WWIII is officially started (and over two minutes later).

You could have the PCs running around trying to stop things from escalating any further, and instead messing things up worse.

Bonus: If China is the "big bad", you could have the Jade Court involved.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:47:16 PM »
Well, this is a tough question to answer without knowing the status of your world, but here's one possible scenario:

1) Someone your players care about finds themselves in the Middle East.  Details are up for grabs here; perhaps she was with the Red Cross in Afghanistan, or on a business trip, or visiting relatives, or was kidnapped and dragged there.  Somewhere along the line she disappears.

2) The players hear on the news that Iran has announced the capture of an American (or Israeli) spy trying to cross their border.  (This should sound a bit familiar.)  The players should be certain that the charges are bogus.

3) Give the players some time to consider this.  If they hold off on acting, then some time later they learn that the Iranians have announced that the spy was found guilty by their eminently impartial courts, and will be executed in two weeks.  American officials raise an outcry in the UN, but nothing comes of it.

4) Optionally, throw in a foiled attempt by the CIA and/or special forces to rescue the individual.  Perhaps several of the rescue team are killed, and several more are held along with the original 'spy' to be executed once the trial is held.

5) If the players still stall, have a mutual friend beg for help.  Or possibly an old enemy gloating that they set this all up, and that there's nothing -- NOTHING -- that the players can do to prevent the death of their loved one!  (Muahahaha!)

6) Assuming that at some point in the above process the players decide to act, run them through the rescue.  Make it harrowing, etc.  Most likely, they will win through ... and in the process, will accidentally (or not so accidentally) kill one or more Iranian officials.  Maybe an Imam or two who were involved in the questioning, or El Presidente For Life.  They may not even know the significance until later.

7) Safe at home, they consider the issue closed.  Until ...

EIGHT) (Because you can't use the number with a right paren, it turns out) News rocks the world that several nuclear blasts have occured nearly simultaneously in Tel Aviv and Tehran.  Lots of confusion at first, but eventually pieces are put together to reveal that Iran launched a newly developed missile at Israel, claiming that Israel was behind the heinous assassination of the above-mentioned official(s), and that the strike was in response to this act of war.  In the minutes the missile was in flight, Israel launched their own retaliation.

9) America, while refusing to commit nuclear assets immediately, announces that:
  a) Any further use of WMDs will result in the total anhilation of the country launching them
  b) That the U.S. has declared war on Iran for their first-strike use of WMDs and that the U.S. carrier force in the Gulf has already begun conventional bombing of key sites in Iran

10) <Insert foreign powers here, perhaps China/Russia, or even the EU>, while condeming both Iranian and Israeli use of WMDs, strongly condems the U.S. reaction, and demands that all aggressive actions cease immediately or suffer the consequences...

Etc.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:00:55 AM by Becq »

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »
There's a biological weapon facility that a bunch of bad guys want to rob for some nice terror weapons.  The PC's interfere, and the most secure building gets blown up, releasing a virus that the bad guys were never after because it was too dangerous.

The new virus is 99% lethal - possibly turning the corpses into Zombies/Ghouls/Vampires/whatever. 

Options:
- Entire world dies (except those who hide in the NN)
- Other countries drop nuclear weapons on the US to contain the virus.  US retaliates.
- US drops nuclear weapons on its own cities to contain the virus.

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:11:15 AM »
As an aside, my thoughts above involve a completely mundane (except for the players) sequence of events.  The supernatural can be mixed in pretty easily, as shown by other people's examples.  Another one tailored to my sequence would be that the Iranian leadership (or key elements thereof) were actually part of a cabal that was trying to perform an ascension ritual caliber spell.  To do what?  Well, maybe they wanted to kill off the world's Jewish population (or even infidels in general).  Or maybe they wanted to gain massive power, for use in welding the Middle East into a Neo-Persian Empire.  Or maybe they wanted to go back in time to kill baby Jesus before he could begin his teaching.  Or ... whatever.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 03:34:04 AM »
i do like the idea of going back in time becaus eone of the characters is a warden and this would make it his buisness as they would be breaking the Laws forcing him to kill high ranking foreign official and ignite a political s**t storm

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:27:52 AM »

somebody made boomboom in the summer or winter courts wellspring?

Some sort of other Red October scenario where the balanced stalemate is unbalanced?

The vanilla mortals start to catch on and the torches and pitchfork event occurs?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:35:09 AM by hank the ancient »

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:51:13 PM »
somebody made boomboom in the summer or winter courts wellspring?

Some sort of other Red October scenario where the balanced stalemate is unbalanced?

The vanilla mortals start to catch on and the torches and pitchfork event occurs?

Keep in mind that the game here is to come up with ways to make it so that the player characters are the catalyst for the war -- ie, the war started due to an action they chose to take (or chose not to take) -- not simply to create the war.  :)

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
Do any of them have Cassandra's Tears?

If so, just put a young child (six or seven) in front of them and give them the vague prophecy that this child will be the cause of a firestorm that will sweep the world.

From that point on anything they do can be classed as causing the war. Kill it and it turns out to be a scion of someone really important, and the resultant revenge attacks tick over into War. Leave it alone and the child itself becomes the host for a spirit of war that throws the world into chaos.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 02:51:17 AM »
Have em accidentally assassinate the Archduke of Austria.   ;D ;D
DV Geek code: