Author Topic: Ritual Limits  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Leatherneck

• Participant
    • View Profile
Ritual Limits
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
If a character takes Ritual and their one particular application of thaumaturgy is not Crafting, do they still get the two free Focus Item Slots?  If so, how do they make them?  I am thinking of an NPC that has Ritual Divination and I would like to have a “crystal ball” focus.  Is that possible with Ritual?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Ritual Limits
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »
I don't think that not having crafting prevents you from having foci. Enchanted items, though, I'm pretty sure you need crafting for.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
Crafting is for enchanted items, not foci. A foci isn't always magical, it is more like a sight on the gun. You don't need the sight, especially if trained, but it helps. An enchanted item is like loading special ammunition and making your own guns. A Cyrstal Ball foci for Divination Ritual is fine.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »
I don't think that not having crafting prevents you from having foci. Enchanted items, though, I'm pretty sure you need crafting for.

It depends. Ritual either provides one aspect of thaumatergy, or all aspects but limited to a specific theme. For example, an ectomancer could make an enchanted item that detects ghosts or he could use divination to find the ghost of Fred, but can't do anything with fire. A crafter could make that detection device or some fire ball potion grenades, but couldn't use divination at all.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
If a character takes Ritual and their one particular application of thaumaturgy is not Crafting, do they still get the two free Focus Item Slots?  If so, how do they make them?  I am thinking of an NPC that has Ritual Divination and I would like to have a “crystal ball” focus.  Is that possible with Ritual?

Yes, you can always make Foci for your field/fields of magic. No crafting needed.