Author Topic: Creating duplicates while In Combat  (Read 3700 times)

Offline ironpoet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Creating duplicates while In Combat
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
I'm interested in creating a wizard who creates mirror images of himself while in combat to throw off enemy attacks.  I'd be interested in knowing how other people would build this.

The Intent: The intent is to make enemies choose the wrong target entirely.  The duplicates would not attack or act independently.

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Creating duplicates while In Combat
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:10:44 PM »
You could work it as a block, but I'm not seeing how this sort of illusion could be an evocation. I'm sure someone can imagine a way, but I can't ATM

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
You could work it as a block, but I'm not seeing how this sort of illusion could be an evocation. I'm sure someone can imagine a way, but I can't ATM

I'd be tempted to run it straight up as a Veil, with limited control by the caster.  That would make it an Evocation block versus their Perception and should draw off attacks.

Offline ironpoet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »

Well, enchanted items are a possibility as well, so simple thaumaturgy is possible with a high Lore skill rating.

Offline ironpoet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 09:08:45 PM »
I'd be tempted to run it straight up as a Veil, with limited control by the caster.  That would make it an Evocation block versus their Perception and should draw off attacks.

That's an interesting idea.  How would you actually run that?  A block limits someone else's actions, so I'm not sure how you can link it to Perception.

Round 1: Wizard casts "Duplicates", with a Block strength of Superb
Round 2: Ogre uses Fists to attack

In theory, the Block would be against Fists, not Perception, right?  I guess I'm not clear on how veils (and Stealth in general) would work in Combat.

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »
If you want to completely draw off attacks, I would go with a maneuver, then compel them to attack the illusion instead of you.

Offline ironpoet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
If you want to completely draw off attacks, I would go with a maneuver, then compel them to attack the illusion instead of you.

I was thinking along those lines as well, but I wasn't sure exactly how I would run it.

Round 1: Wizard uses Defensive maneuver to add "Duplicates" aspect to the zone.
Round 2: Ogre attacks with Fists.  Wizard pays a Fate point to compel the attack to miss.

Is that too powerful, since the Wizard didn't have to roll to neutralize the attack?  Or is spending a Fate point already pretty expensive?

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:43:04 PM »
Or is spending a Fate point already pretty expensive?

That's it. Although, just compelling to miss is a little boring. I would try to spice it up a bit. Perhaps compel the ogre to put his fist through a wall instead of attacking the wizard.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »
The maneuver approach is the way to go for 'distracting' or 'misleading' illusions of this sort.

Note that because this is a compel, though, an opponent with Fate of his own *can* negate the compel, assuming there's a reasonable excuse to do so.  So it's not exactly a "Spend a Fate point to negate an attack" sort of a thing.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:14:53 PM »
I think the block is the way to go.

Its a straight up spirit block against attacks of any kind. It simply works by misleading the attacker to attack a fake target, instead of catching attacks on a shield or something.

Blocks really can take just about any form. For a summoner character one might describe his block as a cloud of little demons around the caster who throw themselves into the line of fire.
I'm thinking of building a caster who uses spirit to increase his own reflexes to defend himself. Thats really just another form of block against attacks.

Don't overthink spell creation. Does it do defense?... it's a block.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
I agree that it is a block.

But I think it is a block against Perception. So if the opponent cannot somehow sense the location of the target, he cannot make a targeted attack against it.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 04:58:16 AM »
In theory, the Block would be against Fists, not Perception, right?  I guess I'm not clear on how veils (and Stealth in general) would work in Combat.

Check page YS255. Veils are special kinds of blocks that are directed specifically against perception. It would work like this:

Round 2: Ogre rolls perception to see if he exceeds the block. If he fails he can't target the caster (doesn't know where the caster is/thinks it is the wrong one) if he succeeds he uses Fists to attack

Veils (and arguably other spells such as stuns, illusions and similar) are unique that way.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:34:10 AM by sinker »

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
Check page YS255. Veils are special kinds of blocks that are directed specifically against perception. It would work like this:

Round 2: Ogre rolls perception to see if he exceeds the block. If he fails he can't target the caster (doesn't know where the caster is/thinks it is the wrong one) if he succeeds he uses Fists to attack

Veils (and arguably other spells such as stuns, illusions and similar) are unique that way.

I only make it here about once a day, ironpoet, so I didn't get a chance to respond sooner.  The post by sinker covered exactly what I meant with my earlier post.  :)

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
i would run it similar to a block but make the attacker roll to see if he hit s when randomly attacking a figure  e.g. say there are two duplicates and the wizard so ai'd have the defending player pick a number on a d3 and have the attacker roll and if he got the right number he gets lucky and the attack connects (sorry if this is a little confusing)
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
The block idea is interesting.  You might even be able to take it a step further and make it a grapple, with the per-turn stress as a reflection of the 'attacks' that the illusions/phantasms/ectoplasmic duplicates make.