Author Topic: Green Lantern  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Green Lantern
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »
Character: Det. Hal Raynor, ret.
Player: Ryan
Template: None
High Concept: Supernatural Cop
Trouble Aspect: Poor Sharona
Adjusted Refresh: 5

Phase One Aspect: Follow the evidence
Grew up in Menlo Park. Met future wife in college at SFSU, became a cop, and rose up the ranks to Homicide Detective.

Phase Two Aspect: Where the Law can't Go
Wife left him for an affair with a hotel manager by the name of Nicolas Raith. Turned up dead of no apparent cause a few months later. His investigation hit official and unofficial roadblocks left and right, and was shelved as cold. He had a breakdown and took early retirement.

Phase Three Aspect: I hunt Shadows and Raith's
Guest Star: Elayne Raith (White Court Vampire)
Taking off on his own to hunt down Nic Raith and demand answers resulted in Hal being buried in an avalanche of power, money and danger. After saving Hal from her brother, Elayne explained the politics of the supernatural to him, and let him know that there is law, but it is very different than the mundane law he is used to. Hal swears to retun to challenge Nic Raith to a formal duel once he's ready.

Phase Four Aspect: Green Lantern Ring
Guest Star: Doc Havoc (Wizard)
Delving deep into the supernatural scene using his investigation skills, Hal bumps up against the White Court, the Red Court and the White Council. After helping a Wizard take down a dangerous fanatic weilding a powerful magic ring, Hal claims it for himself and names himself the protector of San Francisco from all the supernatural.

Phase Five Aspect: ??
Guest Star: ??
??

Skills:

Great (+4)
Conviction, Discipline, Investigation
Good (+3)
Fists, Intimidation, Contacts
Fair (+2)
Endurance, Guns, Burglary
Average (+1)
Sholarship, Resources, Empathy, Lore, Might, Deceit, Rapport, Driving

Stunts and Powers:
+2 Green Lantern Ring (Obvious during use, glows green, can't hide the light)
* +1 Feeding Dependency (The ring is powered by life force/magic. It can feed off the user with mental and physcal consequences, or it can be used against other living or magical creatures to feed off of them)
* -1 Supernatural Toughness (force field, doesn't work again wood, can be researched using Lore)
* -2 Breath Weapon (can do Weapon:2 force attacks up to one zone away using Discipline)
* -1 Wings (can fly)
* -2 Channelling (Green Force Constructs, +1 Power and Control)
* -0 Human Guise (once Supernatural Toughness blocks a hit, or the wings come out, Hal is surrounded by a glowing green. This is part of the Green Lantern Ring Aspect, and can be tagged to improve aim when making ranged attacks against Hal)
* -0 Wizard's Constitution (very low-grade recovery boost basically just automatically provides the neccessary treatment to start recovering from any physical consequence)

Stunts:
-1 Footwork
-1 Interrogator
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:56:32 AM by Ryan_Singer »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Green Lantern
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »
Nice. It fits DFRPG surprisingly well. But I don't think you need Breath Weapon when you have channeling, and you probably should have Ritual (Conjuration). I recommend dropping Channeling and Breath Weapon to get Sponsored Magic.

That aside, I'm not sure that the ring merits +2 refresh. It's only obvious when in use. Perhaps if you included the Lantern itself, treating it as a Feeding Dependency, it would work.

Sorry to nitpick, but Interrogator is not spelled like that, and there should be a space between the colon after "Phase Four Aspect" and "Green Lantern Ring"

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:22:29 PM »
I prefer the Golden Age version; but I'm weird.  An interesting write-up
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:30:37 PM »
Nice. It fits DFRPG surprisingly well. But I don't think you need Breath Weapon when you have channeling, and you probably should have Ritual (Conjuration). I recommend dropping Channeling and Breath Weapon to get Sponsored Magic.

Ring constructs don't really last when the GL goes away, so I'm not sure Ritual fits. Breath Weapon gives me the ability to throw around 2-shift attacks without taking mental stress, which fits the source as GLs only seem to strain for big stuff, and not for small attacks, flying, or basic personal force field. The Channelling comes in handy when doing manuevers, blocks (especially on movement or protecting someone else), AE attacks, or 5+ shift attacks.

Sponsored magic allows for borrowing fate points in exchange for sponsor debt, but I almost never see GLs compelled by sponsors in that kind of fashion. Most GL compels in source are direct orders from Guardians, and make more sense as normal aspect compels than as sponsor debt.

Thanks for the typo help!

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 11:33:48 PM »
That aside, I'm not sure that the ring merits +2 refresh. It's only obvious when in use. Perhaps if you included the Lantern itself, treating it as a Feeding Dependency, it would work.

We'll see what my GM says. My take is that while it's being used, it's as obvious as a sword. Contrast with a IoP that can be worn under clothing and isn't even obvious while used.

As far as I interpret:

+1: Subtle object that can be taken away
+2: Obvious object that can be taken away.

I see the GL ring as Obvious enough to get the extra point.

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 11:54:31 PM »
Feeding Dependency to simulate recharge mechanics is an interesting idea. It could also be used to make the ring a little darker, fitting with the Noir setting. For example, the ring could feed off of Magic itself, represented as the life force of it's wielder and others. This would give justification for consequences as a result of hunger stress.

I like the flavor of feeding dependency, and I like the extra refresh, too. I've added this to the ring:

* +1 Feeding Dependency (The ring is powered by life force/magic. It can feed off the user with mental and physcal consequences, or it can be used against other living or magical creatures to feed off of them)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:10:20 AM by Ryan_Singer »

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »
This is a really interesting write up and as it evolves sort of reminds me more of alan scott.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 12:14:50 AM »
This is a really interesting write up and as it evolves sort of reminds me more of alan scott.

Thanks! It's intended as a Gestalt of all the human GL's, but Alan is the most Noirish.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 01:24:59 AM »
Gives whole lot of new meaning to giving the finger.
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline ironpoet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:38:07 PM »
Stunts and Powers:
+2 Green Lantern Ring (Obvious during use, glows green, can't hide the light)
* -2 Channelling (Green Force Constructs, +1 Power and Control)

Does the +1 Power and Control come from the Focus Items aspect of the "Channeling" stunt?  (I think so, but at first I wasn't sure where the bonus was coming from.)

I'm mildly concerned about the size of the Item of Power vs. its abilities.  From page 281, "Hidden Power", a ring could only hold 1-2 Focus Item slots or 3-4 Enchanted Item slots.  The "Channeling" stunt would fill up the two Focus slots by itself, even before the other abilities were added on.  From a "Dresden Files" standpoint, you might be better off emulating something like Starman's "Cosmic Staff" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_(Jack_Knight).  Something that powerful should be (relatively) easy to disarm or pin down, for added drama (and Fate points).

I really like the idea of a Feeding Dependency, but I'm not clear on how you've designed it.  It doesn't look like it follows the same rules as the Vampire Feeding Dependency.  Is it enough of a disadvantage to warrant a +1?  How is feeding off the things that you are already attacking a disadvantage?  Does channeling require two mental stresses (one two use the ring, and another to channel something)?

Overall, cool idea!

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 07:32:17 AM »
Does the +1 Power and Control come from the Focus Items aspect of the "Channeling" stunt?  (I think so, but at first I wasn't sure where the bonus was coming from.)

I'm mildly concerned about the size of the Item of Power vs. its abilities.  From page 281, "Hidden Power", a ring could only hold 1-2 Focus Item slots or 3-4 Enchanted Item slots.  The "Channeling" stunt would fill up the two Focus slots by itself, even before the other abilities were added on.  From a "Dresden Files" standpoint, you might be better off emulating something like Starman's "Cosmic Staff" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_(Jack_Knight).  Something that powerful should be (relatively) easy to disarm or pin down, for added drama (and Fate points).

I really like the idea of a Feeding Dependency, but I'm not clear on how you've designed it.  It doesn't look like it follows the same rules as the Vampire Feeding Dependency.  Is it enough of a disadvantage to warrant a +1?  How is feeding off the things that you are already attacking a disadvantage?  Does channeling require two mental stresses (one two use the ring, and another to channel something)?

Overall, cool idea!

Hi!

Re:+1 Power and Control: Yes, Channelling comes with two foci, this just uses them in the ring itself.

Re: Item Size: I see your point. Technically, the only things in the ring on the table are the 2 foci, which fits. The question is whether or not powers inside an IoP need to fit size rules. I don't think they would, but I can be pretty weird.

Re:Feeding Dependency: I was going to use the same rules as Vampire Feeding Dependency. At the end of every scene where I've used powers, the total refresh of the powers used is rolled as an attack against my discipline. Stress from that attack needs to be bought off with consequences and/or power shutdown. Killing someone/something with the ring reactivates everything. I think this is a pretty painful drawback from using the ring willy-nilly, and should definitely count towards the +1.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 11:34:14 AM »
if IoP had to fit the size req's the knights of the cross would be boned since they are more or less foci of every worshiper on the planet...