Author Topic: An older more awesome Molly Carpenter  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
An older more awesome Molly Carpenter
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:32:41 AM »
So right now I'm trying to come up with an upgrading Molly Carpenter for my campaign setting. The stats and whatnot I've got down fine but its the magic thats hanging me up. We know from the books that shes good with veils, mind magic, and going all techno with her one woman rave show which is fine and all but I want to make her more capable in a fight (she's going along the lines of being a warden type in my campaign). So anyone have an ideas on attack rotes and more defensive spells for an even more awesome version of DJ Molly C?

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: An older more awesome Molly Carpenter
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 05:53:49 AM »
I think that while Molly may not be suited for combat magic, she is not unsuitable for a combat role.

Molly Carpenter - Warden ninja
Uber-veil, plus she could learn to sneak around really well without using her spells. Some form of Warden sword - Mum and Dad are good fighters, she could learn some moves. Attack from surprise with high rating Weapon = GG warlock.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 06:21:25 AM »
You can do a lot with illusion magic, change places with another target and let it get shot by his own men, or you can veil mines/grenades and wait until your target is standing next to it...if the GM is ok with it, those may even be surprise attacks.

If you would say that Molly is able to control and direct light (her one woman rave? the illusions?),..a basic laser isn't anything else.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:36:48 AM by Dumbledresden »
"Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes."

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »
i would say channeling spirit (mind things seem like evocation to me)
full blown thaumaturgy with one or two refinements for fire ( lights and things don forget the focusses )
lawbreaker x2 ( or would it be three ) ???
probably one or two mortal stuns that fit your story.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:38 AM »
While actually entering the thoughts of another violated the Laws (ie, reading or modifying thoughts), I don't think there's any issues with using the mental equivalent of a roundhouse punch.  Variations on this theme might include a basic attack spell that does mental stress and consequences rather than physical ones, or a maneuver spell that applies "Dazed" or "Stunned" aspects on a target.

Illusions also seem right up her alley.  I think this would be done by applying an aspect on the target (or even all targets in a zone) that reflects the illusion they see ("Rats are pouring out of the sewers and swarming us!"), then compelling that aspect.  The victim can then choose to react to the illusion (accept the compel) or resist it (spend Fate to ignore the compel).  (Anyone have alternate ideas on implementation?)

Mixing light and kinetic force (both Spirit) could also produce an effect along the lines of concussion or flash-bang grenades.

Offline Technobuilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »
Just to clarify...

HARRY thinks Molly is unsuited for combat magic... Harry may not be correct in that appraisal.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »
actually one of the most bad ass and scary things i can think of that would fit a more combat oriented molly would be something akin to the Battle Meditation from KOTOR one or two, anyways the person focusing the battle meditation creates a hive-mind construct that every one on your side shares while fighting granting each participant the benefit of knowing whats going on all around and access to this kinda of shared knowledge base regarding the fight.

that right there seems like it would be one of the more grey areas/awesome ways to go with mind magic.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 02:28:55 AM »
Just to clarify, yes harry does think that she is not suited for combat magic, yet did you see what she did in changes? I'm not going to spoil anything but just read the end of the book. I think that harry my have a skewed view of our dresden dj here

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 03:39:25 AM »
A Submerged Fighter (Ninja) Molly would be this to me (Might want to add Refresh, to symbolize more time past):

Refresh:
-3 Evocation
-3 Thaumaturgy
-1 Sight
-0 Soulgaze
-0 Wizard's Constitution
-1 Lawbreaker (was it 3rd or 4th?)
-1 Refinement (Your Call)
Adjusted Refresh:

Skills:
+5 Discipline, Conviction
+4 Athletics, Weapons
+3 Lore, Empathy
+2 Deceit, Stealth, Fists
+1 Endurance, Presence, Scholarship, Driving, Rapport

Specialization:
Evocation (Spirit, Air, Water) +1 Spirit Power, +1 Spirit Control
Thaumaturgy, +1 Veil Complexity, +1 Veil Control
Foci:
Left Veiling Wand +2 Defensive Spirit Power, +2 Defensive Spirit Control

Veil Rote
Type: Defensive Spirit Evocation
Power: 8 Shifts (7 to Effect, one to Duration)
Control: 8
Duration: 2 Exchanges
Opposed By: Alertness, Lore, Investigation
Targetting: Self or Ally
1 Mental Stress
Effect:

One Woman Rave
Type: Offensive Spirit Block
Power: 6 Shifts (5 to Effect, 1 to Duration)
Control: 6
Duration: 2 Exchanges
Opposed By: I Dunno
Targetting: Foe, Zone Border, etc.
1 Mental Stress
Effect: The Super Light-Show blinds, deafens, and shocks the target. Extra shifts may add a Shocked and Awed Aspect.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 02:22:34 PM »
Molly and Elaine have similar talents. Just look in the RPG  at some of the example spells and the scenes in the novels where Elaine fights for ideas. And as mentioned above she could and probably should pick up non-magical combat skills. Only the most powerful people in the setting are presented as using magic as the primary means of getting things done.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 04:23:05 AM »
Of note if you read how mental stress is dealt it's pretty clear that dealing mental stress with magic breaks the laws. Mental stress is someone shaking the foundations of who you are as at your core. However I had a neuromancer for quite some time before I broke the laws and you can do all sorts of grey mind magic. For that matter technically you can deal physical stress with neuromancy in the form of fatigue spells or sleep spells. You can have mental stun spells in the form of offensive blocks and all sorts of mind magic maneuvers.
Back on topic though with her sensitive gifts she would be an awesome warden. Maybe she's kind of like a warden investigator and then when it comes to combat she goes ninja style. Plus she'd be likely to have all sorts of social skills to boot.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:19 AM »
a soulgaze can be a very effective way to inflict mental stress, just throwing that out there.

Offline Captain Indigo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 06:24:43 AM »
a soulgaze can be a very effective way to inflict mental stress, just throwing that out there.
And can backfire on you horribly, just like the first time we ever see it in the novels.

Tbora

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
I would like to see a version of Molly where she is evil.

Imagine it - Uber Mind Crusher Warlock.