Author Topic: Generic NPCs  (Read 139807 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Generic NPCs
« Reply #675 on: July 31, 2012, 06:24:06 AM »
We've got a vampiric Sponsored Magic on the appropriate Master List, if you're interested. It's here.

I can do the spellcasting stats if you tell me how strong he should be and what he should specialize in.

What does his Feeding Dependency apply to?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:25:37 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 31, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
Also, whch book/movie/whatever are you basing Draky off, here? We know nothing about the DV one except that he's in Eastern Europe as of Grave Peril and he can take Mab in a fair fight.

P.S. The vampiric resistance ability might work better as a small power with a ton of upgrades. Or maybe you could split it into Toughness and Physical Immunity with a few other powers.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 01, 2012, 03:49:13 AM »
I believe that the idea here is that Dracula is the progenitor of all three courts.

As for the Vampiric Resistance, it could indeed use a breakdown. But if you accept the corebook Immunity cost, I think its price looks fairly reasonable.

Does holy stuff/magic fire pierce his armour and his extra stress boxes?

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 01, 2012, 06:34:09 AM »
I wasn't worried about the cost. I tried to cost the benefits independently and got the same number as he did. I'm just saying it would look a lot neater.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 01, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »
i was thinking Dracula would only have the catch of holy items
no longer sunlight, fire, running water, etc stoker weaknesses
i supposes you could break up the vampiric resistance into
physical immunity to only holy stuff [-6]
mythic toughness unknown catch [-6]
mythic stoicism unknown catch [-6] (think i spelled that wrong]
also what i was thinking is Dracula's sponsored magic would work similar to evocation except the damage it deals is mental stress, once the thing Dracula is attacking (with his sponsored magic) has taken all the stress and consequences it can then they become a loyal vampire for Dracula
were as Dracula's claws only make the people he attack with them turn into vampires after they die
also rather than weather control i see Dracula having water evocation to make fog, storms, hurricanes if he wanted
along with his Thaumaturgy is necromancy and entropomacy (which if i typed it right is the one that does curses)
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 01, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »
You mean, Kemmlerian Necromancy?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 02, 2012, 06:03:26 AM »
Okay, new sponsored magic. How's this?

DRACULA MAGIC [-4]
Description: Dracula has a magic of his own. It's not clear exactly why; perhaps he's simply too powerful not to have his own brand of magic.
Sponsor: Dracula is the source of this magic.
Agenda: It's not entirely clear what Dracula wants.
Evocation: Dracula's Evocations generally work by manipulating blood, the weather, or people's minds. But the occasional necromantic blast is not unheard of.
Thaumaturgy: Dracula's rituals are generally associated with his curse, the weather, psychomancy, entropomancy, and necromancy.
Evothaum: Any ritual that could be cast with Dracula Magic may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Dracula Magic Evocations may be used to inflict mental stress. This costs five shifts; a weapon 2 mental attack is as difficult to cast as a weapon 7 physical attack. And so on.

Not sure if the shift cost is right. I pulled it out of my rear, honestly.

If this is acceptably balanced-ish, I'll write up Dracula's spellcasting abilities.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:08 AM »
no dude thats awesome but now Dracula would only have this no evocation, Thaumaturgy just Dracula magic
or would he have those as well?
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 02, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
Depends on how good you want him to be at actual spellcasting.

Personally I'd prefer he only have Dracula Magic and some kind of ability to take Refinements but that's an entirely personal issue.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 02, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »
no dude thats awesome but now Dracula would only have this no evocation, Thaumaturgy just Dracula magic
or would he have those as well?

Up to you. It's your character, after all.

Regardless, he probably has a bunch of Refinements.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 03, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »
well i would give him like 10 refresh of refinements but with the stuff that Dracula magic covers i cant think of anything else he would use magic for??

also i still need a few more aspects

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 03, 2012, 07:32:24 AM »
It's hard to go wrong with Serious Badass and Crazy Prepared, even if they are somewhat generic. They can be invoked and compelled for so many things, and they help establish his character.

Something like Nick's Been Around A Long Long Time would probably be good, as well.

Instead of Refinements, he could have custom abilities building off Dracula Magic, along the lines of Lawbreaker to turbocharge his spellcasting.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 03, 2012, 05:33:57 PM »
i have one aspect called been around the block a lot but i like yours better

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 03, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »
also even though Dracula magic is was built only for Dracula do you think we should still add it to the sponsored magic master list

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 04, 2012, 02:51:08 AM »
Yeah, I'll add it.

Refinements don't usually let you do anything new with magic. They just give you bigger numbers for what you do. So Dracula should certainly have some.

I'll put up a magic section for him later today.