Author Topic: Generic NPCs  (Read 139768 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Generic NPCs
« Reply #435 on: May 09, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
Hm. Alright.

I'd model his IoP collection through a -1 refresh upgrade to Modular Abilities that lets Modular Abilities be used to purchase Items Of Power with all normal restrictions. Such a power would require a great deal of GM fiat to work for a PC, but it's not impossible for a player to use.

By the way, I take issue with a few things about Gilgamesh's items as listed:

1. The Golden Armour should cost 14 refresh, not 16.
2. God Binding Chain is just ludicrous. +20 to grapples is not a bonus that should exist, even for 10 refresh. This game has stacking limitations for a reason. Also, 1 refresh gives +1 to grapple in my books.
3. True Heroes doesn't seem like a +0 catch to me.
4. I think that All Creatures Are Equal Before God costs -3. But I could be wrong.
5. Grand Visage seems overpriced, and I'm not sure whether it applies to Incite Emotion.
6. Not a fan of immunity powers with Modular Abilities. Especially if the catch is variable.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 09, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
The Character is very much meant to be a NPC. But a [-1] upgrade to modular abilities would work more effectivly than the current powers.

The chain of Gods is a plot device used to bind creatures on the level of Maab (ie the Bull of Heaven) but you are right that the power should probably be +10 rather than twenty and it isn't an item a PC could ever get hold off.

Grand Vision was meant to apply to incite emotion (I based the power off of when Dresden looked through the sight at one of the queens and was blown away by the spectacle of it).

Modular Immunity is also something I wouldn't allow for a PC but for an NPC whose speciality is having a copy of every single magical item under the sun there are a wide variety of items of power that could grant immunity, such as the sheath of Excalibur, the Aegis shield and many others.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 09, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »
1 refresh gives +1 to grapple in my books.
Tentacle Horror gets a +2 to grapples (not just maintaining them, a full bonus) for -1 refresh. As a stunt.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 10, 2011, 12:02:35 AM »
I redid the character to be a little more in line with the epic.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 10, 2011, 01:05:08 AM »
Perhaps a custom power that shows that the crow is channeling power to him. I'm not very familiar with this crow guy... what's he from?

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 10, 2011, 01:24:34 AM »
jesus this thread has exploded.
on second thought someone else can stat up the sliver surfer if they want i got a better one
will probably be up later tonight
i know other might not like him as much as i do but he my personal fav video game character ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o
KRATOS
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 10, 2011, 03:59:38 AM »
jesus this thread has exploded.
on second thought someone else can stat up the sliver surfer if they want i got a better one
will probably be up later tonight
i know other might not like him as much as i do but he my personal fav video game character ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o
KRATOS

Careful, when people stat favorite characters they tend to overpower them a lot.

The Crow is from the Brandon Lee movie...The Crow... cult classic

Also, this thread seems to have shifted from Generic NPC to specific NPC...thats not a bad thing, just somethign I felt like pointing out.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 10, 2011, 04:14:00 AM »
i think we should change it to (lots of Finished NPC's) or something.
being Kratos though i'll probably make one with at least 17 refresh for his no God of war form and one were he is God of War were he is super A@# powerful
to be correct of course rather than make just one very powerful with no explanation
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 10, 2011, 05:15:21 PM »
Elder Dragon (Deep One)

High Concept: Ancient and Deadly Dragon
Other Aspects: My Horde is Knowledge, The Names of All Things, Fire in the Blood, Civilisations rise and fall, Proud and Noble

Skills:
Epic: Lore, Scholarship
Fantastic: Discipline, Conviction
Superb: Intimidation, Fists
Great: Athletics, Resources
Good: Presence, Endurance, Contacts
Fair:  Might, Investigation, Alertness
Average: Athletics, Fists, Empathy, Survival

Stunts:
Ancient Wisdom: +2 to Lore rolls on anything Ancient  
Ancient Knowledge: +2 to scholarship rolls on Ancient History and Knowledge
Potent Visage:  The dragon rolls intimidation at +2 for those with the sight (as they can see its true form.

Powers:
Supernatural Strength [-4]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
Catch [+2] Soft Underbelly
Physical Immunity [-8]
Catch [+0] True Heroism
Dragon Magic [-4]: Dragon Magic can achieve some of the effects of  Pyromancy, Psychomancy and Entropomancy at the speed of Evocation and Draconic Magic can be considered an element of Evocation for Dragons.  
Supernatural Sense Names [-5]: A dragon can see the true name of all things as if they where indelibly marked on their brow.
Refinement [-10]  
Wings [-1]
Human Guise [-0]
The Sight [-1]
Hulking Size [-2]
Claws [-1]

Dragon Focus Items are runes marked into their skin
Draconic Power +6 Focus Offence
Draconic Control Focus +6 Offence
Psychomancy Control +6
Entropomancy Control +6

Total Refresh Cost: -43

Refresh Total:-3

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:50:39 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 10, 2011, 06:41:16 PM »
ON those stunts, you can upgrade them. It's RAW that knowledge stunts like that give +1 to a broad category and +2 to something more specific. (I think the term is RAW).

I'm still working on deadpool, and after I'm going to do Fury, The punisher, and a few of the street-level heroes.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 10, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
@Belial: I regard that as a typo.

@Silverblaze: You're right, the thread has drifted. But I don't intend to change the name right now.

@zaczane: Still waiting for an explanation of Mother Sleet's new powers.

@ways and means: Good stuff. I like the new version better, and No Matter The Strength is pretty cool.  The Elder Dragon is also pretty interesting. Got a few questions about him:

1. He lacks Toughness beyond his Physical Immunity. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that.
2. Why no Hulking Size, Claws, or Breath Weapon?
3. This guy's actually pretty slow and very unskilled at physical combat. Once again, I'd like to hear the reason.
4. What inspired this guy? He doesn't seem like a stereotypical dragon, so I figure you had some kind of model for him.

Also, I feel as though I ought to point out a few minor errors:

1. Human Form and The Sight cost +1 and -1 respectively. You may also want to specify what Human Form applies to.
2. Refresh Total should be -1.
3. He's got 2 spare Focus Slots.
4. He's got 5 spare skill points.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 10, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »
The Crow (Eric Draven)

HC: Spirit returned to the land of the living to set wrong things right

Trouble: "Living" on borrowed time

Other aspects: My Crow, My Link to the World and My Power; It Can't Rain All The Time; Quote the Raven, Nevermore; Nothing is Trivial; My Memories of Life Drive Me

Skills:
Superb: Fists, Endurance, Guns
Great: Intimidation, Stealth, Weaponry
Good: Performance, Conviction, Athletics, Alertness
Fair: Empathy, Rapport, Discipline, Presence
Average: Drive, Lore, Burglary, Scholarship

Stunts:
Killer Blow
Fleet of Foot
Footwork
Was That Supposed to Hurt?
Two Weapon Training
Impossible leaps
No Pain, No Gain
Scary as F%^&!

Powers:

Inhuman Speed-2
Inhuman Strength-2
Inhuman Toughness-2
Mythic Recovery-6
The Catch + 3 ( his raven is harmed )
Incite, Very Potent, Lasting, Despair - 4
Psychometry-1
Cloak of Shadows-1
Supernatural Senses -2 Can track those he came back to kill; can see  through his ravens eyes
Ritual - 2 Biomancy (centralizing on healing) (can only be used to help people who he had connection to (hoever tenuous) in life)

+? most powers are contingent on bird being healthy, incite emotion only usable against those who The Crow returned to kill

Not sure what power level to set him at
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:22:31 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »
about the underbelly as the catch to toughness, i think thats a pretty well known spot to hit a dragon so +2 there.
second any body can hit it so its obviously common, but its not very specific so overall i'd give it a +4 for its catch

also you have fists at superb and average so i'd switch one with weapons, my opinion would be the superb one cause of breath weapon and claws are rolled by weapons.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 11, 2011, 01:07:45 AM »
Claws are rolled by fists. There are stunts to switch breath weapon to fists, but none to make claws a weapons skill.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 12, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »
For all you Metroid fans... this is far from complete, just a quick write-up looking for some feedback.

Ridley

High Concept: Space Pirate General
Trouble: Mortal Foe of Samus Aran
Other Aspects: Cunning God of Death, Federation's Most Wanted, Heartless Monster, Intimidating Dragon, Battle Pleases Me
Skills:
Superb: Weapons, Fists
Great: Endurance, Intimidation
Good: Athletics, Resources
Fair: Might, Alertness
Average: Presence, Stealth
Stunts:
*Leadership- Ridley is a General of the Space Pirates, and an effective one at that.
Powers:
[-6]Mythic Recovery- Ridley shrugs off consequences like they're nothing.  He has also brushed shoulders with death, but comes back from feasting upon corpses.  He does not tire in battle.
[-2]Hulking Size- Ridley is big, scary, and intimidating.
[-1]Wings- Ridley can fly.
[-2]Breath Weapon- He can breathe fire.
[-1]Claws- Ridley will get close and personal if need be.
[-1]Echoes of the Beast (Dragon)- despite being the only known member of his kind (by the Federation at least), he knows his heritage well.
[+0]Natural Reflexive Armor- after Ridley takes a decent beating, his skin hardens, upgrading abilities (costs covered under individual abilities labeled NRA.
[-2]Inhuman Speed (NRA)- Ridley can move quick, when need be.
[-4]Inhuman Strength- Supernatural Strength (NRA)
[-6]Supernatural Toughness- Mythic Toughness (NRA)- Ridley can take a lot of hits, especially after his skin hardens in response to beam attacks from the Arm Cannon.
[+2]The Catch: Ridley is vulnerable when attacked in the throat and certain points on his chest.
Equipment: None.
Refresh Cost: -24
Total Refresh: 5