Author Topic: Generic NPCs  (Read 139766 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Generic NPCs
« Reply #405 on: May 08, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »
Except that he's easily killable. Sure, the shield gives him physical immunity in the direction it's facing (which is a clunky mechanic at best - see below). But he still rolls only superb for defense. Say that a dozen soldiers rush him and roll for grapple (skill of good or great). He goes down. Ditto if half of those dozen soldiers roll disarm/trip/other maneuver and the remaining shoot after aiming. Then there's grenades thrown behind him or at his feet, gas grenades, flamethrowers and the like.

@the shield/stunts/build:
All major IoPs are indestructible. That doesn't mean they should work any better. If the Hulk gives one of his trademark two-fisted blows and Cap stays to take it, his shield won't be damaged. But Cap will be a greasy smear on the ground under the shield. So the shield should not give Physical immunity - especially since you got the problem of "facing". Anyone could take a supplemental on his turn to move one zone and position himself behind Cap and then attack, thus rendering the shield useless.
As for his stunts, he has no stunts for his shield. That's just wrong. Plus, he completely lacks the Presence skill and he's the leader of the Avengers.

Here's a build that, I think, is closer. It makes him a lot less killable as long as he has the shield; he blocks most things at +8, +10 for energy attacks, he attacks at +7 with weapon 4 and can do both spray attacks and instantly recover his shield. He is also faster due to mobility and he is a very great leader as he has the Presence skill to go with his Leadership stunt. Give him a bullet-resistant suit for armor 2 and he's set.

Captain America (Steven Rogers):

High Concept: Iconic Super-Soldier of America
Trouble: Idealist to the Bitter End
Other Aspects: Loyal to Nothing but the Dream, WWII Veteran, Avenger, Unshakable Devotion, Old-Fashioned Manners
Skills:
Superb: Weapons, Conviction, Athletics, Presence
Great: Endurance, Discipline, Might, Alertness
Good: Empathy, Rapport, Survival, Stealth
Fair: Driving, Scholarship, Burglary, Lore
Average: Investigation, Craftsmanship, Performance, Guns
Stunts:
*Deflection Throw: when you thorw a disc-shaped weapon, you can angle it to hit multiple targets, doing a spray attack even at range
*Weapon Recovery: you may instantly recover a thrown weapon by angling it to return to you, provided you throw it no more than a zone. Otherwise, it's a supplemental action.
*Mobility: when using melee weapons or fists, reduce the penalties from moving by up to 2.
*Shield Mastery: +2 to defense rolls using a shield.
*Throw Mastery: +1 to attack rolls and +2 to damage with thrown weapons. This is two stunts.
*Pilot
*Fleet of Foot
*Resilient Self Image
*Martial Artist
*Lethal Weapon
*Leadership
*Good Arm
*Tireless
*No Pain, No Gain
 [-15]
Powers:
*Wizard's Constitution [+0]; Steve Rogers ages little (if at all) due to the Super-Soldier Serum
[-1] Item of Power: Unbreakable Shield
      *Indestructible
      *It Is What It Is: weapon 2, extends the defense trapping of weapons skill to include ranged attacks.
      *Absorb Energy: +2 block rolls vs energy attacks.
      *True Aim
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:58:42 AM by Belial666 »

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 08, 2011, 04:24:01 PM »
Except that he's easily killable. Sure, the shield gives him physical immunity in the direction it's facing (which is a clunky mechanic at best - see below). But he still rolls only superb for defense. Say that a dozen soldiers rush him and roll for grapple (skill of good or great). He goes down. Ditto if half of those dozen soldiers roll disarm/trip/other maneuver and the remaining shoot after aiming. Then there's grenades thrown behind him or at his feet, gas grenades, flamethrowers and the like.
Yea I wasn't quite sure how to address the multiple enemy issue.

@the shield/stunts/build:
All major IoPs are indestructible. That doesn't mean they should work any better. If the Hulk gives one of his trademark two-fisted blows and Cap stays to take it, his shield won't be damaged. But Cap will be a greasy smear on the ground under the shield. So the shield should not give Physical immunity - especially since you got the problem of "facing".
Actually, the Vibranium of the Shield diffuses the kinetic energy of blows- so Cap can be beneath the shield and not be crushed (he has in fact).

Anyone could take a supplemental on his turn to move one zone and position himself behind Cap and then attack, thus rendering the shield useless.
As for his stunts, he has no stunts for his shield. That's just wrong. Plus, he completely lacks the Presence skill and he's the leader of the Avengers.

Here's a build that, I think, is closer. It makes him a lot less killable as long as he has the shield; he blocks most things at +8, +10 for energy attacks, he attacks at +7 with weapon 4 and can do both spray attacks and instantly recover his shield. He is also faster due to mobility and he is a very great leader as he has the Presence skill to go with his Leadership stunt. Give him a bullet-resistant suit for armor 2 and he's set.
I knew I had forgotten something- equipment

Other Aspects: Loyal to Nothing but the Dream, WWII Veteran, Avenger, Unshakable Devotion, Old-Fashioned Manners
Skills:
Stunts:
*Deflection Throw: when you thorw a disc-shaped weapon, you can angle it to hit multiple targets, doing a spray attack even at range
*Weapon Recovery: you may instantly recover a thrown weapon by angling it to return to you, provided you throw it no more than a zone. Otherwise, it's a supplemental action.
*Mobility: when using melee weapons or fists, reduce the penalties from moving by up to 2.
*Throw Mastery: +1 to attack rolls and +2 to damage with thrown weapons. This is two stunts.
*Pilot
*Fleet of Foot
*Resilient Self Image
*Martial Artist
*Lethal Weapon
*Leadership
*Good Arm
*Tireless
*No Pain, No Gain
 [-15]
Powers:
*Wizard's Constitution [+0]; Steve Rogers ages little (if at all) due to the Super-Soldier Serum
[-1] Item of Power: Unbreakable Shield
      *Indestructible
      *It Is What It Is: weapon 2, extends the defense trapping of weapons skill to include ranged attacks.
      *Absorb Energy: +2 block rolls vs energy attacks.
      *True Aim

I do like the added stunts and adjusting of the skills.  However, I feel that the Physical Immunity is important- nothing except Mjolnir and the like can get through (see the hulk comment above).  I'd make a compromise of our two builds- let me know how you feel about the PI- it only puts his refresh at 22 (which is valid is you consider the Hulk is 33...):
The shield is not only nearly indestructible, but it absorbs a great deal of kinetic energy from impacts because of its Vibranium component. That is why the Hulk can pound it while Cap is holding it, without simply sending him into the ground or the air. Cap has also used the shield to cushion the force of impact when dropped from a high altitude by standing on the shield.

Combined work of Belial666 & Katarn

Skills:
Stunts:
*Deflection Throw: when you throw a disc-shaped weapon, you can angle it to hit multiple targets, doing a spray attack even at range
*Pilot
*Fleet of Foot
*Resilient Self Image
*Martial Artist
*Lethal Weapon
*Leadership
*Good Arm
*Tireless
*No Pain, No Gain
 [-15]
Powers:
[+2] Item of Power: Unbreakable Shield
      *Indestructible [-1]
      *It Is What It Is: weapon 2, extends the defense trapping of weapons skill to include ranged attacks. [-1]
      *Absorb Energy: +2 block rolls vs energy attacks. [-1]
      *True Aim [-1]
      *Physical Immunity [-8] Not even the Hulk could break this shield (or its user).
      *The Catch [+1] Mjolnir (and possibly other god-level weapons) can break the shield.
      *The Catch [+2] The Immunity only applies to the direction the shield is facing.
Equipment:
*Armor: 2 (bullets)
*Pistol (weapon: 1) (believe it of not he occasionally uses this)
*Avengers ID card (communication)
Refresh Cost: -22
Total Refresh: 10

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 08, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
I belive the only thing that can destroy the shield is reality manipulation, as shown during the secret wars when doom used his newfound powers to kill all of the heroes. (They got better).

Also, where is the hulk statted up... I'd like to see these. And see if I can make deadpool. (He has infuriate on steroids!)

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 08, 2011, 05:56:38 PM »
Also, where is the hulk statted up... I'd like to see these. And see if I can make deadpool. (He has infuriate on steroids!)

*Hulk is previous page
*Deadpool- DO IT (though I'm not sure how you stat immortality...)

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 08, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »
*Hulk is previous page
*Deadpool- DO IT (though I'm not sure how you stat immortality...)

Physical Immunity to Death. :D
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Samael

« Reply #410 on: May 08, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
oh jeeze.

Deadpool the 4th wall breaking metagamer.

I can just picture him in a game going "I will spend this fate point to make my attack SUPER EFFECTIVE!"

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »
It's physical immunity with a catch of nukes or absolute disintergration/ atomisation.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 08, 2011, 06:35:52 PM »
Well, the Cap's shield always struck me as weird. Suppose it absorbs kinetic energy - how can Cap move it around then? And what happens to the momentum of the blows it takes? But that's just weird comic "science" to you.

As for the shield in this system, it still does not work - combatants do not have facing and can move freely in the zones they're in while fighting. If you want to do facing, the shield should be written a bit differently. Also, "Unbreakable" and "It is What It Is" are standard for all major IoPs at no extra cost.

[-4] Item of Power: Unbreakable Shield
      *Unbreakable: the shield can not be destroyed by normal means. Only powerful effects that specifically pervert its purpose can break it.
      *IoP rebate (+2)
      *Absorb Energy: +2 block rolls vs energy attacks. (-1)
      *True Aim (-1)
      *Physical Immunity (-8)
      *The Catch: Indirect Attacks (+4).  The bearer must take a free action 1/round to decide the direction or opponent the shield faces; the sheild only blocks attacks it faces.
      In addition, attacks that the shield cannot interpose itself against (such as gas attacks, zone-wide fires, pools of acid) and attacks that drain energy/force instead of using it    
      to attack (such as extreme cold or energy drain) also ignore the immunity.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 08, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
Alright, we shall accept comic science.  "Final" draft:

Combined work of Belial666 & Katarn

Skills:
Stunts:
*Deflection Throw: when you throw a disc-shaped weapon, you can angle it to hit multiple targets, doing a spray attack even at range
*Pilot
*Fleet of Foot
*Resilient Self Image
*Martial Artist
*Lethal Weapon
*Leadership
*Good Arm
*Tireless
*No Pain, No Gain
 [-15]
Powers:
[-4] Item of Power: Captain America's (Unbreakable) Shield
      *Unbreakable: the shield can not be destroyed by normal means. Only powerful effects that specifically pervert its purpose can break it.
      *IoP rebate (+2)
      *Absorb Energy: +2 block rolls vs energy attacks. (-1)
      *True Aim (-1)
      *Physical Immunity (-8)
      *The Catch: Indirect Attacks (+4).  The bearer must take a free action 1/round to decide the direction or opponent the shield faces; the shield only blocks attacks it faces.
      In addition, attacks that the shield cannot interpose itself against (such as gas attacks, zone-wide fires, pools of acid) and attacks that drain energy/force instead of using it   
      to attack (such as extreme cold or energy drain) also ignore the immunity.
Equipment:
*Armor: 2 (bullets)
*Pistol (weapon: 1) (believe it of not he occasionally uses this)
*Avengers ID card (communication)
Refresh Cost: -19
Total Refresh: 11

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 08, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »
I'll start with a quick aspects list

HC: Merc with a Mouth
Trouble: Mentally Unstable (Hey, I resent that!)
Other Aspects: This is my Phase Aspect Sheet!, I won't die!, Bullets, Blades, and BOOM!, The Anti-Hero for Hire, Disfigured beyond belief

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 08, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
Actually atomiazation wont kill him anymore.  The etity Thanos has made him completely immune to dying so Deadpool cannot be with Death (the transcendent entity) before Thanos.  Completely 100% impssoble to kill him, even if a way is discovered ...assume if Thanos still lives thanos will bring him back.  Perhaps even Death would kick him out of teh afterlife due to annoyance.

Aspect suggestion: I already read this issue!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 08, 2011, 10:19:48 PM »
I dunno about these Captain America writeups. I figure he'd use Fists + Armed Arts instead of Weapons, given the amount of punching I remember him doing.

Plus, I don't like the Physical Immunity. He seems like the sort to rely on high defences and fate points to me.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 08, 2011, 11:14:50 PM »
I dunno about these Captain America writeups. I figure he'd use Fists + Armed Arts instead of Weapons, given the amount of punching I remember him doing.

Plus, I don't like the Physical Immunity. He seems like the sort to rely on high defences and fate points to me.

He uses the shield heavily, which is why that's so high.  He does use fists a lot, which is why I meant to but that in there; musta gotten lost in the various drafts.  After reading Armed Arts, I agree with you.

As for the PI, it's because Cap can use it to block anything shy of Mjolnir- to the point where the Hulk pounds on the shield, which diffuses the blows so Cap isn't splattered.  The catches are present due to the fact it doesn't block area effects (like nerve gas), and it's mono-directional.  I did give him gratuitous FP to help compensate (since he isn't powerless without the shield)

Revised skills (with Fists+Armed Arts replacing Weapons and other minor changes):
Superb: Fists, Conviction, Athletics, Presence
Fair: Driving, Scholarship, Guns, Lore
Average: Investigation, Craftsmanship, Performance, Burglary

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 08, 2011, 11:44:44 PM »
Living Dead reflects really well Deadpool's unkillability, gross appearance and tendency to get dismembered and then needing someone to put him together. I guess a catchless Living Dead is what he has.

That, however, doesn't mean you could not get rid of him somehow. Turning him to dust and then spreading said dust over an ocean current should work as technically he won't be dead. Getting him un-Named and thus removing him from reality or balefiring him out of the currents of time should also work. Casting him beyond the Outer Gates is inadvisable - he will probably return as the herald of the Old Ones after they recognize his awesomeness.

Samael

« Reply #419 on: May 09, 2011, 12:32:13 AM »
Psh, Deadpool's agent would never allow that, and I know Deadpool himself would skewer the writer that tried to get him erased from the time-stream.