Author Topic: Generic NPCs  (Read 139767 times)

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Generic NPCs
« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »
if i did any math wrong or if you have any other ideas for the God Of the Great Old Ones Tell me please.
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2011, 08:53:32 AM »
First of all, there is no contest to build the most powerful character ever using DFRPG rules.

Secondly, supernatural heavyweights are plain beyond stats, at least using the existing rules. Mab can cause a snowstorm big enough to cover the entire city of Chicago and barely exert herself. Uriel killed the firstborn children of an entire nation. The Morningstar created a circle of Hellfire a quarter-mile across hot enough to instantly obliterate Denarians and powerful enough to cut off the Archive (a lesser supernatural heavyweight herself) without even being present on the same world at all. Any one of those feats would require thousands of shifts of power, not dozens or hundreds. A supernatural heavyweight that is uncontrolled and unbound by rules could well destroy civilization - which is why breaking the balance of Faerie back in Summer Knight was a really bad idea. It is also why summoning Old Ones is a bad idea.

Third, the absolute maximum base power the system allows in evocation if you follow the rules is 24 power. That's nowhere near thousands. So if you follow the rules, you plain can't stat them.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2011, 09:29:16 AM »
Uh... yeah.

Plot devices that powerful really don't have a place being statted in a game.

Normal power characters, hell, even the white council would be obliterated...

And if your PCs are powerful enough to deal with something like that, they won't have any other problems interesting enough to make a good game.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 30, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
I doubt killing all the firstborn in Ancient Egypt would be more than a 80 shift ritual with thaumaturgy we are talking thousands of deaths max, as for the others I agree with you pretty much un-stat able though I wouldn’t count the Archive as a real power player on that level, she is as squishy mortal and a thug with a bottle could kill her if she was caught unawares and wasn't being protected by our favourite mercenary. In terms of raw cosmic power she is slightly weaker than Harry though I admit she does have near infinite lore and above epic discipline, If I had to rat her lore skill it would be over 9000.   
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 30, 2011, 08:47:11 PM »
ok ok fine i see were you are going there with this but whats the fun in making a supernatural heavyweight(which i did cause i wanted to not as a contest or anything) if you don't stat them or try to and he is going to be a plot device but more like you never fight him because his aspect that oh crap that i forgot to put in is not to be powerful try to destroy every one with his power. no no no its to F#@k with the little guy.  Also kinda as a joke my friend said the Almighty's Powers and stats are this

The Almighty
Powers
Creation(-10000000000000)able to create anything, creature or item at will
Free Will Transfer(-10000) able to give his free will to anything
free will creator(-10000)roll conviction to give you self free will
power creator(-10000)roll conviction to give youself more powers
Stats
Conviction(100000000000000000000000000000000000000)
all other stats at (1000000000000000000000000000000000)
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 01, 2011, 04:58:50 AM »
hey dude when you said
First of all, there is no contest to build the most powerful character ever using DFRPG rules.

Secondly, supernatural heavyweights are plain beyond stats, at least using the existing rules. Mab can cause a snowstorm big enough to cover the entire city of Chicago and barely exert herself. Uriel killed the firstborn children of an entire nation. The Morningstar created a circle of Hellfire a quarter-mile across hot enough to instantly obliterate Denarians and powerful enough to cut off the Archive (a lesser supernatural heavyweight herself) without even being present on the same world at all. Any one of those feats would require thousands of shifts of power, not dozens or hundreds. A supernatural heavyweight that is uncontrolled and unbound by rules could well destroy civilization - which is why breaking the balance of Faerie back in Summer Knight was a really bad idea. It is also why summoning Old Ones is a bad idea.

Third, the absolute maximum base power the system allows in evocation if you follow the rules is 24 power. That's nowhere near thousands. So if you follow the rules, you plain can't stat them.

first no they aren't above stats to the existing rules or all of them at least.

second Averax could kill mab for 3 reasons
1 mab has a weakness averax has unknown catches to his immunity and no catches for his legendary Toughness, stoicism, status.
2 mab can control cold weather on her but averax could just ripe a whole in reality sucking her into the outer gate were she couldn't do F#@king Sh@t.
3 sure averax could do that but what your thinking right now before you read this next sentence is that well he still has to beat mabs skills to do this well mab a has most of her skills at +8 some at +9, +10. all of averax's stats are at +15 in human form/guise. so she would have to get great positives and he would have to get negatives for her to win

lastly it would not take 1000's of refresh to do the ring of hellfire or the chicago covering snow storm, yes those are impressive but for every power shift you have to remember that it doubles in size so it would probably take a couple hundred but couple thousand would be more like the next ice age.

P.S you contradicted yourself bravo my friend bravo. by saying supernatural heavyweights do go by the rules then at the end you state by the rules evocation only goes up to 24 power.

if you can bring a better comeback than that i will congratulate you.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 01, 2011, 05:19:22 AM »
I am also pretty certain that Averax is not a canon dresden files character and does not fit into the dresden files power system which is Earth bound and leaves the powers of world ending destruction to the highest of the supernatural Heavy Hitters ie God. Comparing Averax to Maab is like comparing the Unconcquered Sun of Exalted to a normal solar exalt both of them are plot device levels characters capable of epic degree's of destruction but both are on completly different scales of potency. Averax is a Galatic or even Universal power whilst Maab isn't even the strongest power on Earth just one of them, Maab could be killed by Titania, either of the mothers, God, God's representative (The Arch Angels) and probably even Morning Star. There is only one power in the DF who is stronger than Averax is described and that is God if God is everything people belive HIM to be.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:22:52 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Samael

« Reply #352 on: May 01, 2011, 05:33:54 AM »
Well, if pure worship determine a gods powers, then arguably Buddha or Hindu pantheon would out match WG in raw strength. So if that is how Jim chooses to run it per Canon even the White God has equally strong(er) rivals possibly.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 01, 2011, 06:20:01 AM »
Going to ignore the plot-device character/God debate, because character building without limits isn't fun for me.

I'm afraid that Lore 10 is not possible within the bounds of the Deep One power level. Lore 6 with a stunt giving +4 in exchange for a point of sponsor debt, however, is. You may have noticed that I'm playing pretty loose with stunt power limits here. Greater Glamours and Mythic Recovery sound good. Deceit is a must for Incite Emotion. Imitating the conscience sounds like a poetic description of an Incite Emotion effect.

By the way, by "and aren't cold" I meant "cold cannot harm Grandfather Glacier even if it can strike the immaterial". I'll make that more clear.

The North Pole sounds like an IoP. I like the name, by the way.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:22:16 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 01, 2011, 02:27:11 PM »
The North pole would be an IoP but can you make an IoP also a focus item.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 01, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
also it fine that u stay out of the debate but you could at least acknowledge that the Almighty stats are kinda funny ;D

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 01, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »
Grandfather Glacier (Deep One)

High Concept: Grandfather Of The Frost Family
Other Aspects: Reality Warper, Destroyer Of Minds, Very Very Very Very Old, Uber-Ghost
Skills:
Epic: Deceit
Fantastic: Discipline, Lore
Superb: Presence, Conviction, Scholarship
Great: Empathy, Investigation, Athletics
Good: Intimidation, Alertness, Endurance
Fair: Rapport, Survival, Performance
Average: Burglary, Craftsmanship, Stealth, Survival
Stunts:
Supernatural Rolodex (Lore): Use Lore instead of Contacts when dealing with supernatural creatures.
Ancient Knowledge (Lore): Take a point of sponsor debt to get +4 to a Lore roll.
I Have Lived History (Scholarship): +2 to Scholarship concerning the past.
I Know My Own Weaknesses, Thank You Very Much (Lore): +2 to Lore concerning his own catches.
Powers:
Greater Glamours [-4]
The Sight [-1]
Piercing Gaze [-0] (Reflavoured Soulgaze)
Wings [-1]
Incite Emotion (Mimic Conscience) [-1]
Two Additional Emotions (Loyalty, Betrayal) [-2]
At Range [-1]
Lasting Emotion [-1]
Potent Emotion [-1]
Super-Potent Emotion [-1] (From Vitto Malvora’s writeup in Our World. Gives one weapon 6 Incite Emotion attack per scene.)
Sponsored Magic (Frost Family) [-4]
Demesne [-1]
Swift Transition [-2]
Marked By Power (Frost Family) [-1]
Domination (Master Dominator, Possession) [-7]
Spirit Form [-3]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Mythic Recovery [-6]
The Catch (fire) [+3]
Physical Immunity [-8]
The Catch (immune to cold and things that can't strike the immaterial) [+2]
Custom Powers:
Random Recovery [-2?] When Grandfather Glacier is exposed to fire, flip two coins. If both are heads, then prevent all damage and give Grandfather Glacier the benefits of a scene of recovery.
Emotion Burst [-1] May take a -2 penalty to hit a zone with Incite Emotion.
At Long Range [-1] Incite Emotion has 3 zones of range.
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 01, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »
@zaczane: I actually find the Almighty's Free Will Transfer power interesting. I think it could work as a generally available power for fate point/refresh donation. As for IoP rules, I'm pretty sure that they can be foci. Whether they can grant Refinement is a touch less certain, but balance is not a primary concern with these guys.

Also, I'd just like to point out that Grandfather Glacier has more refresh spent than King Blizzard, who has more refresh spent than Barrakan. This is intentional.

@Belial: You may want to replace Ride with a real skill.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 02, 2011, 04:23:01 AM »
good job i like him a lot but are you going to put jack frost at the same as barrakan and mom the same as king blizzard or different.
jack frost love to perform.  mom is very good at evocation, thaumaturgy obviously, but she is also the very high at social skills but not as high as the best in the family jack frost.  sponsered magic(frost family) that comes from Mom's item of power,focus item the North Pole.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 02, 2011, 04:24:07 AM »
Mom should have summoning of some sort so long as there is ice around. and i like GFG's aspect cause its funny but also true Uber Ghost.