Author Topic: Your funny moments playing the DFRPG  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Edrac

• Participant
  • Does he have beer? If yes, will he share with me?
    • View Profile
Your funny moments playing the DFRPG
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »
I'm GM'ing a Dresden Files RPG game set in the Groton, New London, Norwich area of Southeastern Connecticut.

I have 4 players: Franklin a Supernatural Hostage Negotiator (Pure Mortal), Beorn a Werebear Shop Teacher, Terry a Vampire Hunter/Warden for the White Council of Wizards, and Rank a Homeless Minor Talent (he has Mana Static, and he RP's it to be a really potent version. Like can't ride the bus potent.)

The players become embroiled with a Necromancer and a shadowy Immortal mad scientist who are releasing a drug dubbed "Three Eye" (yes, blatant Storm Front ripoff, but it's such a neat idea) on the streets of Southeastern Connecticut. In an effort to find the Necromancer's hideaway they stumble upon the remnants of a drug bust and find themselves a fireproof safety lock-box. It happens to be warded with a spell that will heat the outside of the lock-box gradually whenever it is moved. So Rank, crawling around in a hidden crawlspace in this ransacked house kicks it with his boot, causing the rubber of the boot to melt to the box. He takes off the boot and uses the boot, now firmly melted to the box, to move it without getting burned. Beorn goes downstairs and detaches the tank of the toilet and brings it upstairs. Rank then places the box into the porcelain tank, picks it up, and promptly walks out of the house. The rest of the crew follow.

Now with rank's Mana Static he can't very well ride in anyone's car. So he decides to carry the thing himself. So with the rest of the players following behind Rank walks through Downtown New London (in broad daylight no less) carrying a toilet tank with a lock-box inside and his boot visibly sticking out from the top. Every ten minutes or so the ward on the box in the tank causes the tank to get too hot so Rank would drop the thing and yelp.

It may have been something you had to be at the table to really appreciate but we were DYING of laughter.
Cin vhetin
Once a person takes up the armor their past does not matter anymore.
Mandalorian Concept

Offline Big Boss ODIN

• Lurker
  • Da Boss
    • View Profile
Re: Your funny moments playing the DFRPG
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »
Brief character intros for our session;

Von Raith (White Court virgin, not really related to our Raiths. ;) but sorta).

Jakobs (Pure Mortal, bad ass for hire/troubleshooter for Marcone)

Lucy (Minor talent)

Kaleghr (Minor talent but much more talented than Lucy.  GM's character)

Owen (Pure Mortal, has a fiancee named Beru)

Alora (Changling.  Her other half is fetch. GM and I decided on this since she wanted to play a changling who knew NOTHING about herself)

Janey Doe (Werecat)

Eric (Werecat)

So we've been trying to find Owen's fiancee who was kidnapped by Black Court.  We find her chained to the wall in a room with Von Raith, who has more or less been mentally raping her, trying to turn.  The group is NOT happy with him, and have hence forth called him Von Douche.

Long story short, as we're making our way out from Undertown, the group gets caught in a fight with a Black Court Vamp, and everyone goes to attack... EXCEPT Von Raith, who decides to walk away from the fight, and try to finish the job on Beru.  Lucy is guarding Beru, and shocks Von Raith into a catatonic state for the remainder of the scene.

It was a real dick move, but him walking away from a climatic fight like that was hilarious.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:49:30 PM »
Well, we had a group of four (myself; Emissary (Son of Odin)/Focused Practitioner, a Pure Mortal exiled supernatural cicus guy with knives, a sociopath con-man who lost his family to some faerie, and a Winter Changeling Weatherman). The weatherman dropped out due to RL. The con-man dissapeared on us, probably quit without the guts to say so.
Well, the juggler was staking out a cult with some kind of drugged drink (I was later attacked by a Red, you can connect the dots), and was suprised by a local street tough who was watching the place as well. He lied (some story about a guy his girlfriend cheated with on him) and tricked the thug into paying him 50 bucks for some made up intel. He then said that there was an asshole fake cop messing around in the neighborhood (the guy is a real cop), and that he should be beaten up, and told that Eddie (the con-man who quit) said 'Hi.' Furthermore, he gets a Fate Point out of self-compelling one of his Aspects for doing that. We were laughing for a while.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 02:17:51 AM »
Scheduling didn't go as planned, so about half of the first session dedicated to play was devoted to PC creation for someone who missed PC creation night and ironing off rough corners of characters for people who were there and now need to make a few changes.

So the game begins with one character passing an ally... Not just a random one - there's a place in the city called Murder Ally.  (The history of the name: It has a step ascent away from the waterfront and back in the days of wooden ships it was murder on horses pulling cargo from the port.)  Guy goes in to check it out and finds a red court vampire licking a teenage girl, stopping her screams with the drug, and action precedes from there.  The other PCs all have Aspects to compel them to be around there (handing set the first set of FATE chips) and we have an example combat type thing.

When it looks bad, the red court vampire runs (and has the speed to get away).

So they get the victim cleaned up and head to talk to a couple of NPCs.  One player keeps on talking about the lesbian vampire, and game ends soon after.

Next game, we have someone who couldn't make the first session and his character is getting told what happened.  The phrase "lesbian red court vampire" keeps coming up while the player using it says out of character the vampire isn't a lesbian, but he's going for it.  One of the other players says:
"Hey I think I've got a handle on this declaration thing."
He tossing in a chip and says "I'm declaring it's a lesbian red court vampire".  The player who's been using the phrase looks stunned and I say "Sure, why not?".

So the first declaration of the game redefined a reoccurring villain as a lesbian red court vampire.  I had to redefine her goals slightly, but it wasn't a big shift for the vampire.

Richard

Offline Big Boss ODIN

• Lurker
  • Da Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:25:37 AM »
"Hey I think I've got a handle on this declaration thing."
He tossing in a chip and says "I'm declaring it's a lesbian red court vampire".  The player who's been using the phrase looks stunned and I say "Sure, why not?".

So the first declaration of the game redefined a reoccurring villain as a lesbian red court vampire.  I had to redefine her goals slightly, but it wasn't a big shift for the vampire.

Richard

I lol'd.

So how DOES this declaration thing REALLY work. ;)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:17:18 PM »
Last session, I had to make do again with only 2 players(anyone who wants to join us, message me).

2 Players: Salvador "Sal" Delgado (Fallen Seraphim of Sorts) and Zeb Ainar(Out of Retirement Warden)

The GM: Me

The Place: Supernatural Seattle

As a concession for social combat a previous session, Sal had a date with Delilah Montague, a White Court Vampress Cop. She's the daughter of Lord Montague, Seattle''s local White Court Lord and Chief of Police.  Rather intimidating date....

After the date, he offered to take her dancing elsewhere and to drive her home in his Chevy Impala.  All the while, Zeb was following them thanks to a compel of his Warden Aspect(which also allowed to be involved for the next bit) and he came armed for bear thanks to his cleverness aspect.

But, along the way Sal had to stop for gas since he had driven to and from Mt. Rainer last session and had not gassed up again. Then, as I put it,

"Sal leans against his car, gassing up. Looking out at the parking lot you see families mustering about the supermarket, the moonlight beautifully reflecting off various surfaces...and an A$$h&%* in Armor and Animal Skins with a Giant Axe stomping into the Safeway."

After the Trio's double-takes, they followed him inside, or at least Sal and Delilah followed him while Zeb waited in the parking lot for explosions.

The A$$h&%* in question, calling himself Groth, was apparently In The Dictionary Under "Barbarian". He had a massive Double-Bladed Axe with a Horsie on one side and a Teddy Bear on the other.  He walked into the Safeway to the Deli saying, "Groth Hungry!" and smashed open the Fried Chicken. When Sal reminded him to pay, Groth did so with a handful of real Gold Coins.

After devouring some chicken, Sal used some beer as bait to lead Groth out of the store so he didn't hurt anyone. Then an Idiot with a gun shot at Groth in fear. The bullets did nothing to him, but Groth drew his Axe which caught Fire and made him grow another foot and shouted, "Groth KILL!!!" 

Groth seemed immune to "Magic that was unfair".

After a tussle in the Safeway involving Zeb using Water magic to explode some soda in the nearby soda aisle(which hit the flaming axe and caramelized to Groth's enjoyment) , Delilah using gun play as a distraction and Sal getting knocked into the nachos and flour, the Teamwork of the trio felled Groth. Well, they knocked out 4 of his teeth and the Teddy bear on his axe put him to sleep.

Only after that did the Cops actually arrive. Luckily Delilah vogued for Sal. Zeb convinced Lord Montague, his old rival to extend full hospitality to Sal, who was to go up to the Montague Villa.

Sal went to the Villa...

Hospitality preventing any psychic snack time, Delilah still offered to Sal.  Sal said, "I'd tap that. So, I will"

Sal then got to make use of the Vigorous, Fast Recovery and Shake it Off abilities of his Inhuman Recovery.....

Lord Montague promised Zeb that, "Sal will leave for work the next morning with a smile on his face."

He did...

also with a glow.  ;D
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Lirielle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »
One of my wizards was about to go into a combat situation with the rest of the group, including a werewolf and the leader of the werewolf in the city. They're all bantering and getting ready, and the wizard calls them "part time puppies." Then follows the insult right after the combat with "you tell sled dogs to go by telling them to 'mush.' What do you say to make bloodhounds go sniffing?" The wizard is sure that the teeth marks will heal in time.

He has about as many people skills as Harry Dresden. (Actually, maybe less. Which is truly frightening, when you think about it...)

Offline Masalar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 01:07:11 AM »
My group...sigh.

First, the police officer I was going to them interact with, Edmond Perry. They decided he was gay (but not know it). And should be called Edmond Perrywinkle, the cop in the know and in the closet.

Then we had the gambling mage slip on his own patch of ice. Twice. His luck aspect...yeah.

Or that the were-spider's trouble is Bigamy.

But more than anything what I laugh at/love as the GM is how much cooler the players can make a scene. What I thought would be a simple party they had to crash turned into an epic hours long encounter. I laughed at their making mountains out of molehills, but they were really cool mountains.
Free Pie. The pie is also evil.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 09:34:29 AM »
my moment came not during play so much as when i branched the idea of the DFRPG to my group, people were talking over what they would play and out of no where my friend says "i think i will play a pure mortal. or rather a human trafficer of pure mortals, kinda like meals on wheels." at the time we were having this conversation at taco bell... after that remark ALL conversation at taco bell stopped...