Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2010  (Read 27734 times)

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
NaNoWriMo 2010
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »
National Novel Writing Month is almost upon us!

So who's doing it this year? I'm using October to plan everything out. Might even bump my word count goal up to 100k. Hey, it could happen.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
For NANOWRIMO do you have to start in November?
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:38:08 PM »
The only rule for NaNo is that you have to write 50,000 words in the month of November.

Most people take this to mean 'start a new project on November 1st and finish it at 50k words on November 30th.'

Personally, I'm working through October (and December and January...), but I'm really focusing on getting words out in the November rush. There are a lot of writing groups that form in November to host sprints and brainstorming sessions for NaNo that can be very helpful, too.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:39:22 PM »
I'm planning on doing it again this year--have my outline about 50% complete.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »
Oh okay, then in that case I'm on board. I think that comes out to 1667 words per day.

Not too incredibly hard.

or ~2300 if you're like me and can't work on weekends.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
Technically, the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in November, not just 50,000 words of anything.  To truly qualify, you have to start writing on November 1 and stop on November 31 and have a complete novel.  You shouldn't, like, start writing now and then just add 50,000 words to the project in November.

Which is a bummer 'cause I'm writing Book 2 now and I'm about 20k in.  So I can't use it for NaNo.  My plan is to get as much of the rough draft of Book 2 done in October as I can, and then use NaNo to work on a completely different project.  Then in December I can go back to Book 2 with a clear head and edit the rough.

Not that it's going that well right now, but... hey, that's the plan.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
PSSSST Kali...November is 30 days.

Although your post makes perfect sense and makes me a little sad, because I don't think I can write a fifty thousand word novel.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 11:03:02 PM »
PSSSST Kali...November is 30 days.

Although your post makes perfect sense and makes me a little sad, because I don't think I can write a fifty thousand word novel.

Ok, in my defense, I never could remember that stupid little song.

And you can.  Thousands of people do it every year.  Most of them suck.  Mine sucked.  But it was a complete story, with a beginning, a middle, and an end.  And it was just over 50,000 words.  1,667 words a day for 30 days, and presto!  50,000 words.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »
Technically, the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in November, not just 50,000 words of anything.  To truly qualify, you have to start writing on November 1 and stop on November 31 and have a complete novel. 

Not necessarily.

NaNoWriMo is what you make of it. The main purpose of NaNo is to get words out, to just write and write and write with no breaks for editing. As long as what you get out is new material, I see no problem with bending the official rules a little.

(not to mention that 50k isn't near enough to be considered a novel. a novella, maybe. xD something to keep in mind.)

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08:33 PM »
My problem is that it normally takes longer, so I don't think I can finish it in a month. And have it be good. I'd like it to be good.

OT but I like your site Kali.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 11:16:51 PM »
From the NaNo website:

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
Bah, there are plenty of novels that are right around 50k words.  That's the reason why Chris Baty picked 50k as the goalpoint; he grabbed a skinny novel off his bookshelf, checked the pagecount, did some math, and said "So, ok, 50kish.  Works for me!"  Novels like "Flowers for Algernon", "The Great Gatsby", and "Brave New World" clock in right around 50k so it totally counts.  

And, if you look at the rules for NaNo, it's to start a novel on November 1 and finish it the last day of November (ahem).  Now, there's no one monitoring you. You can, if you want, "cheat" to your heart's content.  There's absolutely nothing stopping me from writing 50k words in Book 2 and adding it to what I've got, then at the end of the month claiming my winner's bar.  But them's not the rules and so I won't 'cause that's just me.

My problem is that it normally takes longer, so I don't think I can finish it in a month. And have it be good. I'd like it to be good.

OT but I like your site Kali.

The fun of NaNo is freeing yourself from the need to write something good. ;D  I had editing disease something *fierce* before NaNo.  I never finished anything truly long because I kept editing, wanting every sentence, every scene to be just right before I'd go on to the next.  With the result that I almost never finished anything of any length.  Just learning how to turn off my inner editor and get the words down was such a great experience, it was worth donating even though I was nearly broke last year.

And thanks!  Having a site at all, with actual details about myself, was harder than I thought.  I'm an immensely private person, almost paranoid about it.  But I have to get over that if I want to have any kind of a writing career at all, so... It's out there.  For what it's worth, it's there.  I freak a little every time I see the counter go up, honestly, but that's what Valium is for, right?

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 11:27:33 PM »
Novels like "Flowers for Algernon", "The Great Gatsby", and "Brave New World" clock in right around 50k so it totally counts.

And when were those published again?  :D

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 11:29:42 PM »
I don't have editors disease, or world builders disease, I'm fairly disease free.

I think I'm going to go for my locked room mystery if them's the rules. Besides I want my shiny new Scrivener 50% off. Is it against the rules to do prep work before 11/1?

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:46 PM »
Sure, they're very short novels, but they are novels.  Middle Grade novels run long at 40k (though there are exceptions). Young Adult novels are long at 80k, 50k is just about right (again, there are exceptions).  "Hitchhiker's Guide" is around 50k, though I'd guess you'd argue that's an old book too. Ditto for Anne McCaffery's "Harper's Hall" trilogy.

Heck, Google it. ;)  Most sources agree that a 'novella' is somewhere around 20-40k, and a novel is longer than that.  
I don't have editors disease, or world builders disease, I'm fairly disease free.

I think I'm going to go for my locked room mystery if them's the rules. Besides I want my shiny new Scrivener 50% off. Is it against the rules to do prep work before 11/1?

Nope, do all the prep work you like!  The only thing you 'can't' do, according to the rules, is write any prose that you use in November.