Author Topic: Richelle Mead's Work! (Board Member goes pro)  (Read 50710 times)

Offline Belial

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Richelle's "Vampire Academy"
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2007, 08:13:15 AM »
I picked up a copy after work a couple weeks ago, decided to go to bed instead of read it however... so I went to bed, then woke up a couple hours later. Instead of doing the wise thing and going back to bed, I started reading it. Around noon the next day I finished it (stayed up all night). As I'm sure is clear, I very much enjoyed the book, although the next day at work wasn't too great  ::)

I'll post a review after I formulate a few thoughts (and when I'm less tired), as for now, I think I'll (hopefully) do the wise thing and catch some sleep.

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
Re: Succubus Blues
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2007, 08:58:08 AM »
After months of wanting it, after religiously reading Richelle's blog and seeing how cool she is, I finally bought Succubus Blues.  Now I just have to READ the darn thing (add to long list of books I want to read).  But for my part, assuming Richelle gets 10% royalties, I contributed $1.50 to the 'keep writing books' fund.
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline TerryVA

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
Well I am looking forward to reading Succubus Blues.  From reading this thread and about Racheal, I then went out and bought it.  However, after buying it my wife saw it and has since started reading it.  Now I have to wait  :o

Look luck in your writing  ;D

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2007, 04:01:03 PM »
I finally got to read this one. I found it in the library browsing section, one shelf over from Jim's Cursor's Fury. I thought it was a pretty good read, and I'm looking forward to others in the series.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Ursiel

• Posty McPostington
  • Voy perdiendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2007, 04:11:55 PM »
Is it a romance novel? I'm not much into romance, but I'd read it, probably.
Now I stand, the lion before the lambs... and they do not fear.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2007, 09:22:19 PM »
Is it a romance novel? I'm not much into romance, but I'd read it, probably.
There's some sex, but I wouldn't classify it as a romance novel. With the main character a succubus with a damned soul, and assorted angels and demons as supporting characters, I'd classify it more in the fantasy/horror genre. That's most likely why the library moved it up front to the current browsing selections the week before Halloween.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2007, 11:11:18 AM »
The classify it as romance, and that's where you'd normally find it, but it has less romance than a Rachel Caine novel.

That is to say, it's there. But it's there in the way a Dresden book with Susan is. The main character's lovelife is a central plot theme, but it's definitely not the point of the book.

When's the sequel due, Richelle?
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline ailishsmom

• Conversationalist
  • Ridiculum sum, ergo sum
    • View Profile
    • My Life in Pictures
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2007, 01:25:46 PM »
I'm not generally a "romance" reader, but I enjoyed it.
Also,
::::does the Snoopy dance::::
just got Vampire Academy for my birthday! Can't wait to start it!

~Theresa~
"Normal people are so hostile" - Dexter

Offline Ursiel

• Posty McPostington
  • Voy perdiendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2007, 11:53:36 PM »
Hmm. It sounds cool, I guess.

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2007, 08:56:53 AM »
Hey, Mickey!  The sequel's due out in January, and I just posted Chapter 1 over on my website here.

As for the genre classification, boy.  Don't get me started.  I originally sold it as urban fantasy--even citing Jim and Laurell Hamilton as comparable folks in the genre.  But, my publisher does primarily romance, and so all the marketing tends to end up that way--much to my dismay sometimes!  When they send me back cover descriptions, I have to negotiate with them to make it a little less romancey.  Romance is a primary concern to the protagonist, but it's not the main focus.  There tends to be 3 plotlines in each novel.  Two are paranormal/fantasy mysteries, and the third is romance.  So it's there--but not the dominating force!  Hope this helps. :)
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2007, 08:58:32 AM »
Oh my gosh.  I just discovered this thread!  Thanks so much, you guys!  I'll be interested to hear what people think since this is a really challenging series for me to write. :)
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline Ursiel

• Posty McPostington
  • Voy perdiendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
That's cool. I might check it out. I'm writing something right now that I hope I will be able to get published. I'm not a very good writer though. I guess it runs along the the same lines of age, but I try.

MatthewD44

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2007, 03:04:12 AM »
Richelle,
I loved the gift card part of the award ceremony and I can't wait to read the rest of the book

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2007, 02:39:10 PM »
I liked it.  And all I can say is, thank GOD the conniving, jockeying for position, and one-uppmanship of adolescence is decades behind me! :) 

Richelle, I think you've done an excellent job of capturing the flavor of contemporary teen life, while still making it clear that these kids are very much removed from regular society.  The Academy kind of reminded me of a kinkier Hogwarts, or the school for mutants from X-men, and I enjoyed the relationship between the tough-gal Rose and gentle Lissa. 

The description of Christian Ozera stalking around in his black duster made me chuckle - considering whose board this is on, all I could think of is Christian McGrath, the "official" illustrator of Harry Dresden, and I can't help wondering if there's a bit of a fangirl connection there...
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline ailishsmom

• Conversationalist
  • Ridiculum sum, ergo sum
    • View Profile
    • My Life in Pictures
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »
I got it for my birthday last month and read it in a day and half. I loved it! Definitely made me glad that my high school years are lonnng over.
I can't wait to see what else they get themselves into.
~Theresa~
"Normal people are so hostile" - Dexter