Author Topic: Magic Items  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Magic Items
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »
Since I still don't have a group to play, I get by creating characters for the moment. Every now an then I get an idea that I don't know how to work with.

Latest idea I had was a character with the high concept THE COLLECTOR. Basically he is a rich guy on the hunt for magic items, but he does not have any power himself. So he is supposed to be a mortal with some items of power and maybe even collecting more during the game. Some of the items I got him are "Shoes of Hermes" (they provide Inhuman Speed) and "Shaper of Reality" (A ceremonial dagger which provides the Worldwalker power).

Without the discount those are both -2 refresh items, but they are supernatural powers, and as such not available to mortals. I was thinking of giving him a number of items, but without the discount. Every milestone he could then choose, which items will work for him (costing refresh) and which items will not work for him, but he still has them. Or I could just give him a few items (total power should still be his refresh I think) and have him spend a FATE point every scene he wants to use one of them. The Problem here would be of course, that anyone could use those items, and I don't see a good way around that, and I don't want this character to give his entire collection to the groups wizard to boost him in the fight against the bad guy and himself standing there with nothing left.

Any other ideas on how to get this idea to work?
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Items
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »
You should buy whatever you always want him to have through IOP, then take Ritual (enchanting). Put some refinements into item slots, then leave them all open. Pick and choose what items you have available at the moment each session. Obviously, you'll want a high Lore skill.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »
Modular Abilities is your friend. I had an idea for a character practically identical to this one and it was most handyful to do it that way.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:20:22 AM »
That would really be an interesting way to go about it.  Give him Item of Power with Modular Abilities and flavor it that each separate power comes from a different item.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
Ah, right, that is pretty much what I was looking for. Modular Abilities it is :)

Thank you
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal