Author Topic: Items, but not Enchanted, Of Power, etc  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
Items, but not Enchanted, Of Power, etc
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »
In a nutshell, I'm playing in a game where my character has recently gotten access to a (very well) faked FBI badge.

Does this work as a temporary aspect that the character can tag for free once, then pay every other time? Free tags until the item runs out? Item with a number of uses? A replacement Deceit skill? A flat bonus to Deceit?

There are so many ways to do this, and we're not sure which is the correct way to manage it.
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Items, but not Enchanted, Of Power, etc
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »
The correct way is the one that works for your game.

However, while sage advice, that statement is not particularly useful.  So I shall also present my thoughts on how I'd handle such a thing in a game I was running.

I'd tend to start with "it is what it is" - if you're in a situation where people won't be inclined to (or won't be able to) double-check it effectively, then it just works - you say "I'm with the FBI", and people react appropriately.  If you're using it to provide a bonus to a skill (such as intimidation - "Nobody move!  FBI!"), then it's an aspect, invoked for a fate point.  If you're using it to get into somewhere with real security, it's an aspect that you can invoke... or the GM can compel if the story would be advanced by it being discovered as fake.  (Or, heck, if you've used it a time or two, it could even be compelled for somebody to "know" you're with the FBI already and react badly to that "fact"...)

And, of course, there could be one or more free invokes depending on how it was acquired - but it'd be up to your gaming group to decide how many would be appropriate.  (Typically one, but could be more or less depending mostly on how much effort your character put into getting it.  If more, though, your GM should keep in mind that extra "free" tags are equivalent to giving you extra fate points - which may or may not actually be an appropriate reward.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:30:51 PM by wyvern »

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:11:02 PM »
So, in practice, probably a case-by-case basis? Sounds alright. Lot of DFRPG seems to be that way.
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »
I would suggest just assigning the badge a 'quality' which is either arbitrary ("this is a Superb (+5) forgery") or based on a roll used to create it ("Bob the Fixer really did a Fantastic (+6) job this time").  This is now the difficulty of any attempts to recognize the forgery.  No need for anything fancy such as aspects or Fate points -- though if the character also happens to have some skills in deception, they might well be useful in deflecting attention from the badge in the first place.

As stated above, there shouldn't necessarily be a need to roll against this any time anyone glances at the badge; only force a roll when it makes sense.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 04:41:41 AM »
I would suggest just assigning the badge a 'quality' which is either arbitrary ("this is a Superb (+5) forgery") or based on a roll used to create it ("Bob the Fixer really did a Fantastic (+6) job this time").  This is now the difficulty of any attempts to recognize the forgery.  No need for anything fancy such as aspects or Fate points -- though if the character also happens to have some skills in deception, they might well be useful in deflecting attention from the badge in the first place.

As stated above, there shouldn't necessarily be a need to roll against this any time anyone glances at the badge; only force a roll when it makes sense.

That's probably how I'd do it. A deceit Block to perception.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »
That's probably how I'd do it. A deceit Block to perception.

I would be more likely to go with it as an Aspect -- how else do you resolve the issue where someone calls the FBI and finds out that the person ISN'T an agent?  Seems like a Compel to me.

Mechanically speaking, the block idea works really, really well...  until someone picks up a phone.  How would you resolve that one when using it as a block?

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »
Mechanically speaking, the block idea works really, really well...  until someone picks up a phone.  How would you resolve that one when using it as a block?

I'd just say that until someone beats the block, they're not going to phone the FBI to check - why should they if the ID seems authentic, they're more likely to just run with it.

Giving it an aspect seems a little OTT. Sure you could do so, but why, if you don't have the fate points available to invoke the FBI Badge aspect, should you suddenly be unable to use a physical ID card? And the consequences of compelling it could be extremely harsh indeed - you're not just talking about it not working, you're talking about criminal charges, arrest and possible incarceration.

I'd vote for the block being the best way to handle it. Mitigated by common sense obviously.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:43:14 PM by babel2uk »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »
I don't think the quality of the forgery matters as much as how you use it. Focus on that instead of the forgery itself and it should be easier. The badge itself is not the issue, but somebody questioning the characters authority is.

For example:
You try to get some information from the local police department, so you prepare yourself: declare your badge (and maybe something else that might fit) as a temporary aspect while you create your FBI agent disguise. Now when you pose as an FBI agent you can tag this aspect for free to aid your roll to deceit (or performance?)

On the other hand, if by chance you have your fake FBI badge with you, when you run into a fresh crime scene and you want to get in there, you would have to use a FATE point to add your badge's aspect to your roll, because you are using it on the fly.

Or at least that is how I understand the rules.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 06:39:16 PM »
Continuing my suggestion from above:

If the subterfuge involved solely the creation of the badge, then the quality of the badge would only matter specifically against attempts to examine it to determine if it was forged.  So if he flashed it at a bored security guard, the guard would likely glance at it and wave him through.  If he showed it to a police officer securing a crime scene, he might look it over (roll against the quality of the badge, but only if the cop is looking for a reason to deny access) before waving him on.  If he was caught standing over a body and tried to use the badge to get away, then it might require some sort of Deceit roll (modified by the quality of the badge), with a failure resulting in a call to the FBI office to confirm his identity and alibi (with bad results, given that there'd be no record).  If he showed it to the guard in the lobby of an FBI building, the guard would say "That's a nice shiny badge you've got.  Congratulations.  Now scan your ID at the badge reader if you want the door open."

Better yet, instead of creating just the badge, the forger might forge a complete identity.  This might include hacking a personnel database at the FBI so that the the quality of the forged identity could be used even in the case of the phone call or badge reader.  This is a much more difficult and much more complete subterfuge.  It might also be more dangerous, since the forged records might be noticed by a random sweep of the database, with the resulting inquiry following close behind.

Another alternative might be to impersonate a real agent.  This would have some advantages (less need to hack computers, unless codes are needed to fool card readers), and also some disadvantages: "Oh, Bob, great to see you again.  My, you've lost a good deal of weight!  [Fiddles with holster.]  And you look to be a good 4 inches taller than when we got together at the bar last Thursday.  [Levels pistol.]  Now tell me who you really are, dumb-shit!"

If this subterfuge is an intrinsic part of the character -- ie he's living a lie full-time -- then you should absolutely reflect this with one of the character's aspects.  Maybe "I'm with the FBI ... honest!"  This would probably require having a fully-fleshed false identity, and could generate compels and such to make the character's life more interesting. 

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 02:48:07 AM »
I would be more likely to go with it as an Aspect -- how else do you resolve the issue where someone calls the FBI and finds out that the person ISN'T an agent?  Seems like a Compel to me.

Mechanically speaking, the block idea works really, really well...  until someone picks up a phone.  How would you resolve that one when using it as a block?
Investigation vs Deceit Block. The person making the phone call gets a free tag.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:53:24 PM »
As a side note; the local police will always be looking for a reason to deny the FBI access to a scene.

I'd treat it as an opposed roll, (Deceit vs Investigation) if someone challenged the badge.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.