Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 51074 times)

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »
@Drashna
back when i played Shadow Run i would always give my chararcters the improvised explosives skill maxed out and then i would run around making grenades out of household object e.g. toothpaste and cleaning supplies

@Sanctaphrax
i must have missed those stunts when i was reading the book
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »
They aren't in the book. They are, however, on the internet.

Contacts:

I'm Looking For Mr Brown: You are extremely good at tracking people down. Increase your Contacts skill by two when using it to find someone. In addition, all attempts to find someone with Contacts are one time increment faster.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:53:08 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2010, 02:09:15 AM »
is there a website that has like a list of homemade stunts?!?!
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2010, 03:39:50 AM »
Yes. You can find it with the search directions in my earlier post, or by following this link:

http://www.vinlandsolutions.site11.com/Products/DFRPG/index.html

Alternately, there is a fairly comprehensive list compiled by furashgf in my possession. I could send it to you.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »
A couple more from the Generic NPC thread. As you may have noticed, I've changed the master list.

Conviction:

Shield Of Faith: Your faith protects you from harm. You may use your Conviction skill for physical defense.
Religious Contacts: You are well loved for your piety. You may use your Conviction skill instead of your Contacts skill when dealing with people who share your religion.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2010, 08:16:09 PM »
I've been playing with a few odd stunt ideas lately, and I'm not sure if they're balanced. If you guys could look over them and tell me what you think, I'd appreciate it.

Endurance:

Tough It Out: You can take a surprising amount of pain before you fall down. You may use your minor consequence slot to take a moderate physical consequence.
Determinate: (Requires Tough It Out): The amount of damage you can shrug off is almost unbelievable. You may use your additional minor physical consequence slots to take moderate consequences.

Might:

Strength Aids Skill: Regardless of his skill level, a strong man is better at fighting than a weak one. You may use your Might skill to complement your Fists or Weapons skills when attacking with a muscle-powered weapon. The bonus from this stunt is capped at +1.
Strength Trumps Skill: (Requires Strength Aids Skill) Supernatural strength makes a man very difficult to fight against. As Strength Aids Skill, but with a maximum bonus of +2.
Strength Replaces Skill: (Requires Strength Trumps Skill) What can mere skill and tactics do against your might? Nothing, that's what. As Strength Aids Skill, but with a maximum bonus of +3.

Presence:

Combat Leader: Your leadership makes people fight better. Pick a type of character. You may use your Presence to complement the Fists, Weapons, or Guns skills of that type of character as long as they are following your orders in combat.
Master Combat Leader: (Requires Combat Leader) Your leadership makes people fight much better. As Combat Leader, but for Athletics and Alertness as well.

Resources:

Enchanted Items: You own an enchanted item or two, although you don't know how to make them. Perhaps a wizard friend gave them to you. You get two enchanted item slots which may not be spent on potions. The base power of these items is Good (3). This stunt may be taken multiple times.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »
Well well well... not a single stunt for craftsmanship... that's sad... and about to change :p

Do you like it? I made it myself. (Craftsmanship): A weapon you made yourself, is a weapon you know really well. Use Craftsmanship to wield Weapons you personally built from scratch.

Another One for Might:

Power over finesse (Might): Your unarmed attacks rely on brute strength rather than on clever technique. Use Might to Attack unarmed.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2010, 11:09:23 PM »
Wow. Could have sworn that we had at least one Craftsmanship stunt. Well, thanks for correcting that.

Stunts look good to me. With your permission, I'll add them to the master list.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 06:13:27 AM »
With your permission, I'll add them to the master list.
That's why i put them here :-)

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 02:47:14 PM »
Do you like it? I made it myself. (Craftsmanship): A weapon you made yourself, is a weapon you know really well. Use Craftsmanship to wield Weapons you personally built from scratch.

Hmm ... sorry mate but I just don't know about this one. Building a weapon and using a weapon? Two completely different things in my book.

That said the stunt is to broad in my opinion. It essentially allows you to roll the complete weapons skill into your craftsmanship skill, witch shouldn't be possible. You can however transplant a single trapping. Be it Melee Attack/Defence, Weapon Knowledge or even Distance Weaponry, it all makes sense. But not the hole trapping set. That's just huge for a point of refresh.

You can however theoretically transplant multiple trappings with multiple stunts.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:50:17 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
Hmm ... sorry mate but I just don't know about this one. Building a weapon and using a weapon? Two completely different things in my book.

That said the stunt is to broad in my opinion. It essentially allows you to roll the complete weapons skill into your craftsmanship skill, witch shouldn't be possible. You can however transplant a single trapping. Be it Melee Attack/Defence, Weapon Knowledge or even Distance Weaponry, it all makes sense. But not the hole trapping set. That's just huge for a point of refresh.

You can however theoretically transplant multiple trappings with multiple stunts.

Well, there's the Armed Arts stunt for fists that basically allows you to do the same thing. Attack and DEfend with a certain number of types of weapons. And its Types.
The stunt in question here, lets you use Weapons you made yourself. And only those. If you loose your trusty sword, you cannot just pick up another...

I think that makes it actually into a very narrow stunt.

I made this stunt for my Artificer build. Basically what i had in mind was to allow him to use his enchanted Sword. And over time maybe one or two other weapons.
I had Melee Weapons in mind, that's one thing that should probably be added to the description.

If that's not enough, one might also add the limitation that the Weapon in addition to be made by himself, has to be made for himself as well. That would limit it to maybe a handful of specific weapons in his arsenal. Provided he makes weapons for other people.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2010, 08:12:16 PM »
Well, there's the Armed Arts stunt for fists that basically allows you to do the same thing. Attack and DEfend with a certain number of types of weapons. And its Types.
The stunt in question here, lets you use Weapons you made yourself. And only those. If you loose your trusty sword, you cannot just pick up another...

Ah yes. Armed Arts is a stunts for Fists witch is a combat skill to begin with. I'm not sure that it is transmittable to a non combat skill, since you obviously have to have some experience with real fighting. Example: I can see how it is probable for a highly proficient Kung Fu master to have certain skills with some Types of weapons. I just don't see how being able to craft a weapon has anything to do with being able to perfectly wield one. Witch would be the case if the crafting skill would be decent and the stunt remains as described. Not only that, but you would be able to use shurikans or other thrown weaponry perfectly too.

I'm not saying that you can't make this happen with stunts. I'm not saying that it isn't a cool idea. I'm just saying you can't make it happen with just one stunt. That's far to powerful. At least to me it is. Any kind of fighting needs hard training and any proficient combat artist will tell you so.

I think that makes it actually into a very narrow stunt.

I made this stunt for my Artificer build. Basically what i had in mind was to allow him to use his enchanted Sword. And over time maybe one or two other weapons.
I had Melee Weapons in mind, that's one thing that should probably be added to the description.

If that's not enough, one might also add the limitation that the Weapon in addition to be made by himself, has to be made for himself as well. That would limit it to maybe a handful of specific weapons in his arsenal. Provided he makes weapons for other people.

I was hardly able see what you had in mind when you thought this one up, was I? All I was saying was that I probably wouldn't allow the stunt as you have written it down above.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:17:38 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2010, 08:36:16 PM »
I would allow it, but only because making weapons is really difficult. Without the proper facilities, anything you make will be an easily broken piece of garbage. And if you do have the proper facilities, the cops will probably start looking at you funny.

Stunts can either transplant a single trapping of a skill under all circumstances or an entire skill under specific circumstances. Whether the circumstances for this stunt are specific enough is really up to the GM of the game in which this stunt exists.

On second thought, maybe that isn't a good thing. Don't want to credit strangers with too much intelligence. Perhaps Craftsmanship should complement Weapons and Guns instead of replacing them.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2010, 08:43:53 PM »
I would allow it, but only because making weapons is really difficult. Without the proper facilities, anything you make will be an easily broken piece of garbage. And if you do have the proper facilities, the cops will probably start looking at you funny.

Stunts can either transplant a single trapping of a skill under all circumstances or an entire skill under specific circumstances. Whether the circumstances for this stunt are specific enough is really up to the GM of the game in which this stunt exists.

On second thought, maybe that isn't a good thing. Don't want to credit strangers with too much intelligence. Perhaps Craftsmanship should complement Weapons and Guns instead of replacing them.

I know all this. Thing is: There's really no limit to the weaponry someone can make with craftsmanship. A craftsman proficient at crafting weapons will obviously always use his own weapons. Hence: In the original description of the stunt the restriction is FAR to broad and/or makes no difference.

I apologize if this is not the place to have this discussion. Not sure if this was mend to hold debates or just being a collection thread. @Sanctaphrax if you prefer it we can take this elsewhere.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:46:08 PM by Papa Gruff »

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2010, 08:45:51 PM »
I was hardly able see what you had in mind when you thought this one up, was I? All I was saying was that I probably wouldn't allow the stunt as you have written it down above.
Which is why i tried to clarify... :-P