Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 50625 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »
Big Pocking Wrench looks good.

Not sure about Scavenger. I have trouble telling if it is meant to be restricted. Also, it is essentially identical to the Scrapheap Challenge stunt here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,18809.msg855947.html#msg855947

But that stunt's not on the list, so I guess it doesn't matter if you are duplicating it.

I think Automotive Genius is redundant given the existence of the Car Mechanic stunt in the core book.

Can I add these to the list?

Offline mstorer3772

• Conversationalist
  • Nerdier than thou... oh wait. I'm HERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2011, 12:03:35 AM »
Please.
Get off my lawn.

DV 1.2 YR 8 FM <1 BK++ RP++ JB TH+ WG++ CL--- SW BC++ MC+ SH [Murphy++ Molly- Gerd++ Lea+ Lash++]

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
I think that you're putting too many restrictions on these stunts. A stunt can generally move a trapping under all circumstances or move an entire skill under some circumstances.

Thematic justifications are decent, except for the one for Little Lies. I don't understand how that relates to Investigation.

What does the Sleuthing trapping do?

By itself, not much. I imagined it mostly for making decelerations regarding of investigations in general. For example someone could use Sleuthing to declare that out of two suspects in a murder, suspect A is fitting the profile of a killer from a few years back, who killed his victims in a similar way. It is mainly a prerequisite for the other stunts because I thought that some of them were kind of a stretch without it. If you think the other stunts can use Investigation without this stunt than there probably isn't any need for it, you could use scholarship, contacts, and investigation to do the same thing.

Would you like Little Lies more if it used Rapport for Falsehood and Deception instead of Investigation?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2011, 07:20:19 PM »
I think you might as well ditch Professional Detective, then. Or maybe just make it a booster for Investigation Declarations.

The other stunts don't really seem like such stretches to me.

I don't really have a problem with Little Lies as such, I just think it needs better fluff text. How does being a detective help you lie?

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
Weapons-

Combat sense: You have learned to compensate for a loss of sight in battle. If Blinded or otherwise rendered unable to see during a fight, reduce penalties for fighting with Weapons by 2. This only counts during an ongoing fight, if entering a fight already blinded, this stunt does not count.

Zatoichi: You have so thoroughly trained in vision-deprived combat that you are more attuned to using your other senses to fight with. Gain +1 when fighting with Weapons while blind or in total darkness(if you do not have the Shadow Walk power).
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2011, 11:33:01 PM »
Blindness doesn't actually penalize Weapons rolls. Combat Sense does nothing.

And Zatoichi seems wrong to me. If the user just blindfolds himself, this stunt becomes True Aim +.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2011, 12:17:36 AM »

And Zatoichi seems wrong to me. If the user just blindfolds himself, this stunt becomes True Aim +.

Being blind or fighting in darkness should penalize weapons.  That stunt should have a purpose.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2011, 12:26:36 AM »
Being blind or fighting in darkness should penalize weapons. 
It does when it's important to the narrative - as an invoked or compelled aspect.

Regarding the stunt, the concept of "being blind means you have some sense better than sight" is rather silly.  Even the few who have learned echolocation don't use it at combat speeds.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2011, 12:57:17 AM »
It does when it's important to the narrative - as an invoked or compelled aspect.

Regarding the stunt, the concept of "being blind means you have some sense better than sight" is rather silly.  Even the few who have learned echolocation don't use it at combat speeds.

Rather silly to assume people can see the past, cast spells, parry bullets, walk on coals, sleep on nails, turn into wolves, lift cars, see dead people...etc.  Games require some suspension of disbelief.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2011, 01:11:35 AM »
So make it a Power!  Just not a 'mortal' stunt.  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2011, 01:40:15 AM »
So make it a Power!  Just not a 'mortal' stunt.  :)

Yeah, point taken... but parry everything & fire resistance are stunts.

People can do some of the things I mentioned. 

Blind Fighting is something mortals can take in most game systems.  D&D, WW, Star Wars, etc.  I maintain a system should exist for it.  Maybe it shouldn't be a mortal stunt...but many mortal stunts are pretty damn close to supernatural by this system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Stunt Ideas: Presence -- Presence of the Alpha - Add a bonus of (+2?) whenever your physical appearance has a bearing on impressing people.

Various- (likely intimidation but I could see it helping in other situations) Thousand Yard Stare aka Eyes of the Predator aka Feral Glint: Add a bonus of (+?); to intimidation once eye contact has been established.

Survival: Actions Speak Louder Than Words - Use survival to sense deception when body laguage can be read.

The following stunts are being prepared for a Scion of Fenris I intend to play someday; hence the wolf-like theme...I don't feel they need to be powers though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:46:52 AM by Silverblaze »

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2011, 02:11:29 AM »
This one is also pretty hard to model...it sounds dumb the way I made it work...it may just be better as an aspect.  I realize that.

Animal Magnetism: Roll Survival? instead of Rapport for seduction attempts.....

Sounds flimsy...  Need help.  Maybe it truly is just better as an aspect.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:38 AM »

I figured Zatoichi might be too far, but as for Combat Sense, I have a problem seeing why a GM wouldn't just penalize attacks instead of using a Compel in the case of Blindness, where a similar situation (Hairpin Maestro) could be looked at in the same way ("OK, you have the aspect Crappy Tools, and I compel you for a -2 to your roll").
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2011, 02:44:03 AM »
Blind Fighting is something mortals can take in most game systems.  D&D, WW, Star Wars, etc.  I maintain a system should exist for it.  Maybe it shouldn't be a mortal stunt...but many mortal stunts are pretty damn close to supernatural by this system.
To be clear, it's the Zatoichi stunt I think should be a Power.  It goes beyond removing negatives to giving bonuses.  And the bonus itself is too broad for a stunt anyway. 

Just my opinion of course.
--

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2011, 02:46:50 AM »
This one is also pretty hard to model...it sounds dumb the way I made it work...it may just be better as an aspect.  I realize that.

Animal Magnetism: Roll Survival? instead of Rapport for seduction attempts.....

Sounds flimsy...  Need help.  Maybe it truly is just better as an aspect.

Hmm, Made me think of a similar one:

Animal Magnetism: Your natural charisma and confidence carry over to the Animal kingdom. Use Presence instead of Survival for Animal Handling.
www.savethevillain.com