Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 50663 times)

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 01:21:05 AM »
I don't have a list like Sanctaphrax, but I've got an idea here and there, starting with Guns:

Empty Mag Empty Room: Your speed and marksmanship are so great that you can make Spray attacks with semiautomatic weapons.  Just as if you were using an automatic weapon, you must split your attacks into minimum shifts of +1 or better.  Using Empty Mag Empty Room will empty your weapon's magazine, and you must have at least one round per target affected for this stunt to have any rational chance of happening.

This is for the Martin Riggs and John McLanes and Chow Yun-Fats out there, the guys who can get the same wall of lead with a little Beretta that it'd take a normal guy with an MP-5.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 01:02:42 PM »
Here's another two, for Stealth:

Silent but Deadly: You may use Stealth +1 instead of your normal attack skill when striking from ambush.

(Striking from ambush seems to be such a limited occasion, and usable really only once a scene, that I figured a +1 was fine in addition to swapping the trappings)

Deadly Shadows: When tagging or invoking an Aspect that would conceivably help your Stealth, you may use Stealth instead of the normal attack skill to attack and defend for that exchange.

Personally, I like Deadly Shadows better and feel it can cover Silent but Deadly's territory just fine, although SBD is a little less complicated but maybe more narrowly powerful.  I see Deadly Shadows as a way to drive players into maneuvering for Stealth-related tags during fights, and that kind of ongoing incentive to engage with the FATE system appeals to me more than a simple situational bonus from SBD.

Traceless: The difficulty to track your movements is 2 shifts higher.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 03:45:01 AM »
Had some more ideas!

Survival:
They're In the Trees: Roll Survival instead of Stealth for setting ambushes and traps outdoors
Without A Trace: Use Survival instead of Stealth when Hiding in the wilderness
(maybe these could be combined into one)

Resources:
Money Talks: Use Resources instead of Contacts for Gathering Information

Rapport:
Everybody's Buddy: Use Rapport instead of Contacts for the Knowing People or Gather Information trappings
Poker Face: When Closing Down, your intentions aren't obvious until your opponent beats your Rapport

Presence:
Spin Doctor: You may take 2 additional mild social consequences

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 03:56:53 AM »
far as I know, Stunts can only offer one additional consequence per stunt, so Spin Doctor would be limited to 1 consequence.  otherwise, they seem OK to me

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 04:00:27 AM »
Athletics:

Sportsman: Sports are your life. Pick a sport. You may use Athletics with a +2 bonus to play that sport.
Ball Toss: Throwing a basketball isn't very different from throwing a knife. Use Athletics to wield thrown weapons. You do not get any bonus from speed powers for these attacks.

Contacts:

Absolute Authority: You are good at being in charge. Add two to your Contacts skill as long as you are in a position of authority over those you intend to contact.

Conviction:

Sermonize: Your speeches are more about passion than presentation. You may use Conviction, unmodified by performance, to speak publicly or to convince someone on a point of morality.

Deceit:

Salesmanship: You know how to sell stuff. Choose Rapport or Deceit. Add two to that skill when using it to sell something.
Data Manipulation: It's easy to fool someone when you have graphs to back you up. Add two to your Deceit skill when you have statistics to back up your lies.
Con Man: You make a living off of lies. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to get someone to give you money.
Feint: They think thought they had you, but they thought wrong. You may use Deceit to dodge physical attacks.

Discipline:

Disciplined Body: Your body moves because your mind tells it to. Use Discipline to determine the length of your physical stress track.

Driving:

City Driver: You've spent most of your life driving up and down the same streets. Add one to your Driving skill on city streets and ignore one point worth of increased difficulty due to traffic.

Empathy:

Read You Like A Book: People's emotions are pretty damn obvious to you. Add two to your Empathy skill when using it to read people.

Fists:

Patterns: Martial arts are actually a lot like dancing. You may use Fists instead of Performance to demonstrate martial arts moves.
Competition Fighting: You are a martial artist, not a fighter. Add one to your Fists skill as long as you aren't in a real fight.
Board Breaking: You break stuff with your hands. Use Fists for the Breaking Things trapping of Might.

Guns:

Killer Of Animals: Guns aren't for killing people: they're for killing animals. All of your attacks with guns inflict two additional stress to mundane animals.
Master Of The Lasso: (Require Lasso) You are very good at using a lasso. You may use your Guns, Might, or Weapons skill with a +1 bonus to wield a lasso.

Might:

Heavy Object Swing: Pure strength can compensate pretty well for skill sometimes. You may use Might to use heavy objects as melee weapons.
Heavy Object Throw: Pure strength can compensate pretty well for skill sometimes. You may use Might to use heavy objects as throwing weapons.

Performance:

Artist: You are an artist, obviously. Pick a genre and a medium. You get a +1 bonus to Performance that for each.
The Complete Performer: An artist needs skills beyond just making art if he wants to be great. Fortunately, you have them. Add two to any skill being used to modify Performance.

Resources:

Wealth Beyond Imagination: You're not just wealthy, you're RICH. Add two to your Resources skill when using it to buy things that an ordinary person would consider too expensive to
buy.

Scholarship:

Cracker: Using a computer and hacking one are pretty much the same thing. You may use your Scholarship skill to defeat computerized security.
Programmer: You know how to code. You may use Scholarship to create computer programs.
Experimenter: You have the training to perform original research, while most just read about the research of others. You may use your Scholarship skill to carry out experiments andd surveys.
Studies: Your education blurs the boundaries between the magical and mundane. Pick a subject (eg. fortune-telling). Add one to all Lore and Scholarship rolls relating to that subject.

Survival:

Outdoorsman: Your extensive field experience helps you operate in the wild. You may have your Survival skill complement your Stealth and Investigation skills as long as you are in the wilderness.
Rider: You could play a game of poker in the saddle if you wanted to. Add two to your Survival skill when using it to ride.

Weapons:

Lasso: You may make maneuvers and attempt grapples with a lasso. A lasso has a range of one zone and is controlled with the Weapons skill.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:49:32 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 01:23:40 PM »
far as I know, Stunts can only offer one additional consequence per stunt, so Spin Doctor would be limited to 1 consequence.  otherwise, they seem OK to me

Hmm, maybe so.  In the book though it says a stunt can provide one or two 2-shift expendable effects, which to me says "mild consequences".  I'm okay with letting a stunt give 2 mild social consquences but maybe not physical consequences though.  The specifics aren't actually so important, though - have it give 1 mild if you like.

Sanctaphrax, I like Ball Toss a lot, as well as Sermonize.  For Outdoorsman, though, I'd probably let a player normally use Survival to modify Stealth or Investigation outdoors if they brought it up.  Perhaps let the stunt treat Survival as 2 higher when modifying Stealth and Investigation?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »
Hello Mr ducksauce, and thank you for your input.

You have a point about Outdoorsman. I might also allow the Survival skill to modify Stealth or Investigation, but I wanted another Survival stunt for the Hunter generic NPC and I was having trouble thinking of one. Your rewrite of Outdoorsman is reasonable, but looks pretty weak in comparison to stunts like Tireless and Supreme Concentration.

As for your list of stunts (you totally do have a list):

Everybody's Buddy, Money Talks, and Poker Face look great. I might just steal them.

They're In The Trees and Without A Trace should probably be merged.

I like the ideas behind Empty Mag Empty Room, Spin Doctor, and the Stealth attack stunts, but I think you ought to alter the mechanics behind them.

Peforming spray attacks with any firearm as a stunt is in Our World already. (It's called Blaze Away). Personally, I think that Empty Mag Empty Room would work well as an upgrade to Blaze Away. Something like this:

Empty Mag Empty Room (Guns): (Requires Blaze Away) Sometimes you just have to fire every bullet you have. When you attack with a gun, you may choose to fire every bullet in your gun at once. If you do, each attack you make that exchange gets a +1 bonus.

HobbitGuy is right about Spin Doctor: stunts can only provide two mild consequences if they are restricted in the situations that they can be used in. Perhaps Spin Doctor only works against attempts to make you look bad to others?

I'm not really sure how to make the Stealth attack stunts work. Dodging with stealth could be a stunt with no special rules, but I'm not sure how to justify using Stealth for attacking.

Finally: I'm thinking of compiling everyting in a big list on the first post and sending that list to the DFRPG Fan Resources page. If I do, can I use your stuff?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:18:54 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline furashgf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 11:12:06 PM »
I have a personal list I can send you that I've been keeping. It includes standard stunts from the book, ones from this list and others, etc.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
I would love to see that list. How would you like to send it?

Offline furashgf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 11:19:10 PM »
I sent you my email address through the forum message system. Email me back directly to my email and I'll send you the list, and then you can work on it some more and post a final version somewhere.

Offline furashgf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »
I just sent you the list, Mr. Doe. Look forward to your updates. It's chock full of awesome stunts.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 11:35:56 PM »
Thank you very much.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »
The first post has now been edited to include a complete list of my stunts. If everyone else who has posted stunts here could give me permission to put theirs there as well, it would be great.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
I'm not done all the books yet, so I've been real leery about getting too deep into Our World.  Blaze Away definitely covers my idea, although I like your upgraded Empty Mag Empty Room.

Here's two modified Spin Doctor stunts:
Spin Doctor: You may take 1 additional mild social consequence
OR
Spin Doctor: You may take 2 additional mild social consequences in situations like public debates, political campaigns, or the like

My rationale behind using Stealth for attack in my above ideas is honestly the "stealth kill" scene from any number of movies and video games.  The focus isn't on the actual kill so much as it is about Stealth making the kill easy, regardless of what weapon or training the attacker has. 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 07:09:17 PM »
Once again, admiralducksauce, may I please add your stunts to the master list in the first post?

Revised Spin Doctor looks good. Given your explanation of the Stealth stunts, I would probably go with something like this:

Deadly Shadows (Stealth): It's easy to kill someone who can't see you, regardless of your skills. When attacking a character who cannot see you, you may use Stealth to attack instead of Fists, Weapons, or Guns. If they somehow manage to attackyou without seeing you, you may also use Stealth to defend.

Good for attacking from ambush, fighting a blinded opponent, or fighting under a veil.