Author Topic: Stolen Ideas?  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Stolen Ideas?
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »
I are annoyed...I just discovered someone has published a book shockingly clsoe in concept to a movie idea I had awhile back; what happens when a buncj of sci-fi/fantasy convention-goers are trapped in the middle of a convention and the center of a Zombie outbreak. That was my concept anyway but this book is more limited to a trekkie-con where mine involved a broader spectrum. Mine was actually intended to be more serious, but with its share of funny moments. At least my concept had a cooler name..."The Apocalypse Convention"
...sigh, this is what I get for sitting on ideas...8P
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »
Many many moons ago when my dad was in college (Chico State in CA) he and his two roommates sat down and started writing a fictionalized version of their college experience. They made it to about chapter 3 before a little known movie called Animal House was released. Everything in that movie was going to be in the book but the shooting of the horse in the deans office.

Yeah it sucks when someone steals your thunderous idea.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:05:36 PM »
Many many moons ago when my dad was in college (Chico State in CA) he and his two roommates sat down and started writing a fictionalized version of their college experience. They made it to about chapter 3 before a little known movie called Animal House was released. Everything in that movie was going to be in the book but the shooting of the horse in the deans office.

Yeah it sucks when someone steals your thunderous idea.
Including the deathmobile and the parade chaos?
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:41:18 PM »
Well entering a parade they were banned from...Although in reality they won second place until it was found out that they were banned from the parade in the first place.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
My story had a scene where a zombie in a storm-trooper outfit is trying to gnaw on the brain of a drunken con-girl (dressed a sslave leia?) but is too stupid to know to take off the helmet and she's too drunk to realize he isn't trying to give her a hickey...8)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 07:38:04 PM »
Think of it this way, guys: your brains produced something just as awesome as something that turned out to be a popular success.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »
A few years ago I started to work on a story that involved a zombie outbreak. I wanted the zombies to be fast-moving berserkers driven by a sense of anger and rage that kept them going after death. I thought it'd be a cool change from the slow, hungry shamblers you see in most zombie flicks. Lo and behold, a day or two after I'd written the first scene I saw the trailer for the movie
(click to show/hide)
Ended up having the same basic concept. Eh, what can you do?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:03:54 AM by belial.1980 »
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:12:14 AM »
Unfortunately, an idea just sometimes seems to be in the ether.
Simultaneous creation they call it.  Heard it happened to Harlan Ellison once in regards to his story - The Bleeding Stones.  Kid came into the Clarion workshop with a story very, very simular to Harlan's.  They'd never even met or communicated.  Harlan bought the kid's rights out and everyone was happy but it shows what can happen.
Then there are the other cases where someone HAS lifted your idea.  Not good or right.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
The one thing to remember is that there are plenty ideas.  The differences come in the specifics.  I mean, really, we all know two completely different series about an orphaned wizard named Harry.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »
That is true...hrmmm wonder about a world where Hogwart's and other Schools exist in the same realm as Dresden Files...it's super-dorky but it could totally work. Also fits in another story idea I've been working on off and on.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 02:30:44 PM »
That is true...hrmmm wonder about a world where Hogwart's and other Schools exist in the same realm as Dresden Files...it's super-dorky but it could totally work. Also fits in another story idea I've been working on off and on.

Oh lorky,
I think HarryD would think Lord Voldemort "cute" compared to the troubles he has and HarryP would run like mad from Mab and He who Walks Behind.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 03:18:58 PM »
Dresden: *Looks around* "Uhh Voldy, yer cute and all, but you're not my type...and even if you were" *Looks around some more* "FUEGO! B*tch"

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »
That is true...hrmmm wonder about a world where Hogwart's and other Schools exist in the same realm as Dresden Files...it's super-dorky but it could totally work.

We have a comment from JB on why it totally wouldn't from a couple of years back, IIRC; mostly because DV Magic works much more logically and consistently.

Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
Hey there Renfield - you wouldn't be talking about the second part of Princess of Wands, would you? Although maybe not... I don't recall now if zombies ever showed up there...

Anyway, yeah, it feels a shame when you see an idea you've had or been playing with show up out there in the published world. My main project right now is certainly kindred to some of my favorite author's works, in spirit at least. Then I recently saw a very moving near death scene show up in one of their series' that was so close to a key point in my second book that it almost made me sick! :) Ah, well.
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 03:12:41 PM »
Hey there Renfield - you wouldn't be talking about the second part of Princess of Wands, would you? Although maybe not... I don't recall now if zombies ever showed up there...

Anyway, yeah, it feels a shame when you see an idea you've had or been playing with show up out there in the published world. My main project right now is certainly kindred to some of my favorite author's works, in spirit at least. Then I recently saw a very moving near death scene show up in one of their series' that was so close to a key point in my second book that it almost made me sick! :) Ah, well.

Great minds think alike.