Author Topic: Sidhe Knight of Santa  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sidhe Knight of Santa
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
I think it's clear that Santa Claus is the Summer King -- he just needed a job in the off-season...   ;D

Tbora

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 09:39:42 PM »
Santa is Winter King and the  Erlking is Summer ~ we have WOJ on this.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 11:09:57 AM »
Perhaps St. Nicholas was a well-known Knight of Santa, which led to the association between the two as the same character?

Offline EroGaki

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »
I just had a thought: each of the faerie courts has only one knight. And now that we know that Santa is the Winter King, wouldn't that invalidate the Christmas Knight idea?

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
I just had a thought: each of the faerie courts has only one knight. And now that we know that Santa is the Winter King, wouldn't that invalidate the Christmas Knight idea?

Keep in mind that the Summer and Winter knights are “just” emissaries of power, albeit very well known and probably inordinately badass ones.  Also, Santa is not beholden to the Court (I got that from the Spoiler board), and as a relative independent he’s probably able to get away with things that would normally get Mab’s panties in a homicidal bunch.

Assuming that Santa has less power to throw around than the Queens it’s probable that his knight would be similarly limited, but IMO there’s no reason he couldn’t empower a mortal to undertake tasks that his own nature prevents him from attempting.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline EroGaki

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 01:12:50 PM »
Keep in mind that the Summer and Winter knights are “just” emissaries of power, albeit very well known and probably inordinately badass ones.  Also, Santa is not beholden to the Court (I got that from the Spoiler board), and as a relative independent he’s probably able to get away with things that would normally get Mab’s panties in a homicidal bunch.

Assuming that Santa has less power to throw around than the Queens it’s probable that his knight would be similarly limited, but IMO there’s no reason he couldn’t empower a mortal to undertake tasks that his own nature prevents him from attempting.

Could you post a link to the thread? I've not seen much outside of it stating that Santa is the Winter King. I'd love to look at whatever info is floating around out there.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 01:29:02 PM »
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,15366.210.html

The second post down explains the relationships.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline MorningDarkness

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 12:08:31 AM »
Also, if Erlking is the darker side/representation of summer, then it makes sense that Santa Clause would be the happier fluffy bunny side of winter... *shrug*

Tbora

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 01:35:35 AM »
Maggy Sr. should have arranged for Santa to be Harry's Godparent instead of Lea.

Offline EroGaki

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 07:47:46 AM »
Also, if Erlking is the darker side/representation of summer, then it makes sense that Santa Clause would be the happier fluffy bunny side of winter... *shrug*

Which begs the question: what is the fluffy bunny side of winter? Knowing that would help to define Santa's role concerning the balance of Summer and Winter, and the mortal world in extension. In addition, it would also help narrow down the nature of the sponsored magic granted to the Christmas Knight. As of now, I'm kinda clueless.

Offline EroGaki

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »
So I've been giving it some thought, and I believe I've come up with some of what Yuletide magic can do:

Cold (being essentially Winter)

Slumber (winter being a time of hibernation and rest)

Travel (Santa is known for his ability to visit every house in the world in one night)

Divination/spying (He knows when you've been sleeping/awake. He knows when you've been bad or good... which very creepy when you think about it)

Infiltration (He essentially breaks into peoples houses)

Protection/Threshold (I'm kinda iffy about this one. Christmas is all about family spending time together, sitting in front of a warm hearth, and living in safety. To me, that implies the power of the threshold, but maybe not...  :-\)

Rebirth/Renewal (The celebration of Yule and Winter Solstice was largely about marking the return of the sun and the eventual transition to kinder seasons) (Thanks DFJunkie, for the idea)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 07:44:32 AM by EroGaki »

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »
Reading that thread, Santa is NOT a winter king.  Rather, he is a king of Wyldefae with origins on the winter side.

Also, saying that he is a peer of Mab is nowhere near saying that he is at Mab's power level.  We have WoJ that Erlking is a peer, but way beneath the queens in power.
Lawful Chaotic

Tbora

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »
Reading that thread, Santa is NOT a winter king.  Rather, he is a king of Wyldefae with origins on the winter side.

Also, saying that he is a peer of Mab is nowhere near saying that he is at Mab's power level.  We have WoJ that Erlking is a peer, but way beneath the queens in power.

Um yes he is, that is precisely what WOJ says...

Not WAY beneath, he is not as weak as you are implying IMHO I would put him a good bit stronger then Lea but weaker then say Mab.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
I think the difficulty here is that some people assume "King of Winter" to mean "In the same heirarchy as Mab, Maeve, and Mother Winter," which is not entirely the case since per Jim Santa is not answerable to Mab (okay, he does what Mama Winter says, but that's more about power than authority).  I think "King of Winter" simply means "very powerful Fae of a Winter origin who does not have a direct superior."

Also, you might want to add "Rebirth/Renewal" to the list of things that Santa's Sponsored Magic would be able to accomplish.  The celebration of Yule and Winter Solstice was largely about marking the return of the sun and the eventual transition to kinder seasons.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »
Here's the Q/A about the Erlking - which probably applies to Santa.  From [urlhttp://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,20960.msg917997.html#msg917997[/url]
(click to show/hide)

Richard