Author Topic: What do supernaturals do during World War [Fill The Blank]? [SPOILERS?]  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Do wizards stand by and twiddle their thumbs? What's would be the White Council's official response? And the individual wizards? The fay just stay out of the way and hide out in the Nevernever? ie. how involved does the supernatural get in the affairs of mortals?

I'd assume vampires are always in there and somehow profiting from it, but even them.

?

Edited to warn of possible spoilers
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:07:26 AM by Arcteryx »

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: What does the supernatural world do during World War [Fill In The Blanks]
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:01:50 AM »
Well, Kemmler caused World War I. I bet wizards were hunting him down. In World War II, he was raising mass graves, so they were trying to get rid of him again. In other wars, we know they've taken sides personally. Eb and Arthur ran into each other in the French and Indian War. Blacks and Reds probably used the chaos to take root, Fae probably watch it like TV, ghouls follow battlefields, MonOc was probably talent-scouting, etc. Depends on the group, but many could benefit from war.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What do supernaturals do during World War [Fill The Blank]? [SPOILERS?]
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 05:52:50 AM »
Well we don't know what they were doing exactly during said French Indian War. They may or may not have had sides. Part of the purpose of Laws of Magic was to keep the White Council as nationally neutral as possible so that personal loyalties to philosophy didn't rend the Council asunder.

However I would imagine that they would do like they did in WWI and WWII and stop other members of the supernatural from causing or taking advantage of the chaos.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
Well we don't know what they were doing exactly during said French Indian War. They may or may not have had sides. Part of the purpose of Laws of Magic was to keep the White Council as nationally neutral as possible so that personal loyalties to philosophy didn't rend the Council asunder.

However I would imagine that they would do like they did in WWI and WWII and stop other members of the supernatural from causing or taking advantage of the chaos.

We've been told by Jim that Eb and Arthur were on the opposite sides.

The Laws of Magic rule over magic, not how wizards act otherwise. The Council as a whole is neutral, but their members can do whatever they want really, so long as the follow the Laws.

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 04:19:22 PM »
I'd love to argue this point, but I'd be pulling most of my arguments from a post Small Favors book.

So from non-spoiler books:
The White Council does not want to see members attacking each other.  They know that if they fight among themselves that the monsters win.  Summer Knight talks about how the White Council takes pains to show that they are united against the world.  That's not possible if they were actively fighting on different sides in a war.

Supporting different sides, well, that's not the same as actively fighting.  Doing little things to help out, that's probably allowed.

Richard

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
I'd love to argue this point, but I'd be pulling most of my arguments from a post Small Favors book.

So from non-spoiler books:
The White Council does not want to see members attacking each other.  They know that if they fight among themselves that the monsters win.  Summer Knight talks about how the White Council takes pains to show that they are united against the world.  That's not possible if they were actively fighting on different sides in a war.

Supporting different sides, well, that's not the same as actively fighting.  Doing little things to help out, that's probably allowed.

Good distinction.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »
In film & literature, there's a popular plot device where Hitler and his cronies explore and get into some mighty bad mojo; how would you guys reconcile something like that with the existence of a White Council & the Accords?

Would the Allies have responded in kind without the benefit of the White Council?

My thought is, whoever is involved, either on the Axis or Ally side, would have been completely aware of the White Council and the rest of the supernatural infrastructure.

Say the Axis initiates something like this, would the White Council have approached the Allies and said, those darned enemies of yours are into some hellraising mojo, let us help you set up some kind of special unit to counter it. Or would they have moved in on their own to take care of it since obviously raising Outsiders and other stuff like that is clearly Lawbreaking.

I'm kind of leaning towards the latter - ie. they'd have just moved in without consulting the Allies.

What though, if the Allies had a similar force, and they and the Wardens started stepping on each other's toes and getting into each other's way?

I'm trying to wrap my head around some backstory for my campaign and wanted to have something in place that respects canon as much as possible; ie. Kemmler, Eb, Kincaid... at the same time, ramifications from what happens "back then" should resolve to something in the present that also respects the canon's state of the world as Harry knows it.

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 07:19:35 PM »
Morgan fought in the trenches of WWI.
I'm not aware of confirmation whether that was before or after he acquired his powers.
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:42:59 PM »
Historically?

Historically the Thule society (a German group that backed the Nazis) were into the occult.  There's a group of "witches" in England who claimed to have focused all of their magic to keep the channel stormy for six weeks when it looked like the Germans might invade.  Various other occult claims are made about that period.

In game terms, the Thule society might have been low level practitioners (selected for their politics than power level) or wannabees with virtually no effective power - both have appeared in the books.  As far as wizards backing politicians, well, I don't see that happening.

But I could see elements of the White Council doing a little weather magic, adding some real power to the hundreds of others, to keep the channel stormy.

Richard

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:32:48 PM »
Morgan fought in the trenches of WWI.
I'm not aware of confirmation whether that was before or after he acquired his powers.

Yes, but WWI was caused by the Necromancer Kemmler, so WHAT Morgan was fighting in those trenches is up for debate.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 12:30:15 PM »
There's a theory that the annexation of Poland was purely so that Hitler could get his hands on the Spear of Destiny. It may be that there was a whole level of supernatural involvement on the quiet. It wouldn't be entirely out of line with the spirit of the Dresden Files for the 3rd Reich to be attempting to elevate Hitler to godhood via ritual, artefacts and human sacrifice.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:32:28 PM by babel2uk »

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »
Speaking of the spear of destiny.  It is suppose to have a nail from the cross on it.  Which can't be so in the dresdenverse.  However the original metal head of the spearhead could still be around.  Whereas it wouldn't have been Soaked in Blood as long as the nails, it would still I think garnish power.  Besides the fact that so many people believe in it.  Of course aren't their like 3 spears in various museums around the world claiming to the be "the one"? (Maybe they all are a single piece of a 3 piece whole)

Along that line of thought, Before the Dresden RPG, I was running a Dresden game with the Witchcraft system.  I had a "knight want-to-be character" but couldn't justify giving them one of the "true swords" so I came up with a minor sword theory. based on the metal, ceramic, bone pieces that had been tied to the Cat-O-Nine Tails used to torture Christ.  They had been gathered by a group, and placed in the pommels of 9 swords.  They acted like the Swords of the Cross but on a much smaller scale.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »
Speaking of the spear of destiny.  It is suppose to have a nail from the cross on it.  Which can't be so in the dresdenverse.  However the original metal head of the spearhead could still be around.  Whereas it wouldn't have been Soaked in Blood as long as the nails, it would still I think garnish power.  Besides the fact that so many people believe in it.  Of course aren't their like 3 spears in various museums around the world claiming to the be "the one"? (Maybe they all are a single piece of a 3 piece whole)

It could be argued to have the Aspect 'Godslayer'. There are indeed at least 3 that make the claim, and it's not unreasonable to think that a powerful artefact may have been split up to prevent its use. There's a whole load of nasty powers you could associate with it if you wanted to take the angle of it being forged specifically to kill a god. And that also raises the question who was it forged by?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »
You're confusing the spear of destiny with the Vienna Lance (also known as the Hofburg spear).  The spear of destiny was the spear used to poke him in the side to make sure he was dead - an might have killed him.

Richard

Tbora

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 05:31:23 PM »
You're confusing the spear of destiny with the Vienna Lance (also known as the Hofburg spear).  The spear of destiny was the spear used to poke him in the side to make sure he was dead - an might have killed him.

Richard

Actually I am fairly certain they are one and the same.