Author Topic: Scion lawman  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Scion lawman
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »
There's a bit more about thresholds in White Night.  When Harry makes contact with the minor practitioners there's bit of a debate over whether to invite him in or make him leave his power at the door.

Richard

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 04:39:28 AM »
There's a bit more about thresholds in White Night.  When Harry makes contact with the minor practitioners there's bit of a debate over whether to invite him in or make him leave his power at the door.

Richard
True.  And I believe another option was to simply wreck the threshold/ward, which was woefully weak by his standards, but this would have been understandably viewed as a hostile act.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 05:15:09 AM »
You can't wreck someone else's threshold.  They have to do that themselves with dark deeds/intentions (drug dealing/manufacturing, dark magic, torture, etc.) in their home (basically they turn a home into a lair).

You can wreck (tear down, take apart, overload) someone else's ward.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 05:23:55 AM »
Yeah, I missed that.  Where it talks about tearing down thresholds it says "usually only an artificially created one", which would generally be a ward.  And the example I was thinking about was a ward, I think, rather than a 'natural' threshold.

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
Thresholds aren't about legal ownership, they are about metaphysical investment.  If a residence is truly treated as a home (not just a place being lived in), then it will generally have a threshold.  Temporary residences (apartments, for example) tend not to.  And that ward is 'owned' by the family that makes the building a home, not by a landlord (though a rented dwelling is unlikely to have the metaphysical investment that creates the threshold) or a government.

So while a govenment could give you a *legal* right to enter a dwelling, it could not give you a *metaphysical* right to do so.  Only members of the family that contributed to making the dwelling a home could do so.  Which means that the Scion *would* be affected by the threshold, unless he was invited in by a residence.  This, of course, assumes that there is a threshold at all -- I find it unlikely that the sorts of people a legitimate lawman was sent after would be the types likely to have a home with a significant threshold, if any.

Okay, I can see this as an argument. 

Guess I'm thinking too much like the Sidhe and looking for the letter of the law, not the spirit.  And Thresholds seem to be more about the spirit of the law.  :)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »
Guess I'm thinking too much like the Sidhe and looking for the letter of the law, not the spirit.  And Thresholds seem to be more about the spirit of the law.  :)
Or, it's about the letter of a overarching metaphysical law, rather than some mere jumped-up social construct that mere mortals like to call "the law".  :)

Offline Leatherneck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »
I’ve decided to make the players determine how the thresholds work for Scions.   As each Scion can be unique there can be different affect for different characters.  If I can get the Scion characters to come to a common decision that would be great.  Not expected, but it would be great.  I see three basic levels of affect.  1) no affect at all and no potential of extra Fate Points.  2) Suffer suppression inside the threshold and a potential of a few FP.  3) The threshold acts to block as if the scion is a pure supernatural creature, such as a vampire or demon, providing even greater potential of Fate Points.

Finally, if any player ends up with a Changeling, then they get to decide how it works for all changelings in my game. 

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 03:08:43 AM »
I’ve decided to make the players determine how the thresholds work for Scions.   As each Scion can be unique there can be different affect for different characters.  If I can get the Scion characters to come to a common decision that would be great.  Not expected, but it would be great.  I see three basic levels of affect.  1) no affect at all and no potential of extra Fate Points.  2) Suffer suppression inside the threshold and a potential of a few FP.  3) The threshold acts to block as if the scion is a pure supernatural creature, such as a vampire or demon, providing even greater potential of Fate Points.

Finally, if any player ends up with a Changeling, then they get to decide how it works for all changelings in my game. 
Generally, a threshold should apply option 3 only to purely supernatural characters -- those whose 'body' is entirely magical in nature, and who wouldn't exist without magic.  Scions and pre-Choice Changelings are party human, and should be suppressed, instead (being cut off from magic simply makes them revert to their human capabilities).

But ... your game, your rules!