Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 72804 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Re: Miami Game; Blood in the Water (was LFG ATX)
« Reply #360 on: January 31, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
Here's the stats for those Monsters btw:
“Clackers”            Total Refresh: -12
Other Aspects:
 Some Kind of Monster!, Dumb as a Box of Rocks

Skills:
Great: Fists, Endurance
Good: Might, Athletics
Fair: Alertness, Intimidation
Average: Stealth, Survival

Powers:
Aquatic [-1]
Claws [-1]
Echoes of the Beast [-1] (armor 1)
Hulking Size [-2]
Beast Change [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
> Catch: Can Only be Bypassed by Fire or Boiling Water (Turn red wherever hit) [+2] (And develop aspect "Distranctingly Deliscious Smell"
No Pain, no Gain [-1]
Tough Stuff [-1]
Wrestler [-1]

Stress:
Physical: OOOOOO (OO)   (+2 Mild Consequence)   Armor: 3   
Mental: OO      Social: OO      Damage: Pincher 4   

Note: Once they are fully dead/ cooked they revert to their true forms and become regular sized but well-cooked lobsters.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 31, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 31, 2011, 05:25:07 PM »
Well played sir, well played...

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 31, 2011, 06:00:41 PM »
Man I haven't had lobster since boston. Might need to talk the wife into trulucks fir v-day

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 31, 2011, 07:57:07 PM »
I am re-reading through the rules again myself so I can have a better grasp of them. I figure that each session will keep building on previous skills.
One thing I have discovered though; If you wish to make a Declaration, i.e. to Add and aspect to a scene such as a Candle, Requires the expenditure of a Fate Point.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Evocation then Thaumaturgy though. Bear, can you do me a favor and list out everything you did to get up to that 27-shift spell you pulled off on the first Fry-spell? i.e. all the base Shifts Declared, Maneuvers used, Focus Items used, Rote Spell and whatever Aspects were invoked. It will help me understand how Evocation works when I get around to having a Villain that uses it.

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
Ren, great game i wanted to share that before we all dived back into the books to start looking at rules and what not.
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 31, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
Thank you! I have to admit that was a truly fun and Epic fight! I could totally visualize that in my head with everyone sliding around in the ankle-deep water amidst fish in their death-throes, bits of coral and of course sea-urchins...8)
All while being chased about by Hulking Hybrid Lobster/Man things who had severe issues with their glass being tapped on. Poor guys, bad enough they get trapped inside a limited living space but then here come some damn humans tapping on the glass...you'd be a might cheesed off too!
My only disappointment is that I didn't get to inflict any lasting damage on anyone...8(
I guess I'll just have to settle for mass wetting-of-pants...8)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
Ren, great game i wanted to share that before we all dived back into the books to start looking at rules and what not.
I'll jump on the Thank You train
Thank You Ren, Lobsters, Gators, Gumbo, and Accents! Also for letting us feel it out as we go
Thank You Z for putting us up
Thank you Z's wife for putting up with us!
Thank you Bear for letting me play with your rifle, Z too (also was their Blood on you MP's sites?)
The Steve's rocking as ever (Sorry for leaving you in there marty, I demand that other Steve does a Scottish accent  ;) )
Thank you Ashley for distracting the lobsters.
I was at Barnes and Noble looking at some of the other RPG books, and DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN they get complicated.
I need to seriously hit the books.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2011, 12:15:49 AM »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Evocation then Thaumaturgy though. Bear, can you do me a favor and list out everything you did to get up to that 27-shift spell you pulled off on the first Fry-spell? i.e. all the base Shifts Declared, Maneuvers used, Focus Items used, Rote Spell and whatever Aspects were invoked. It will help me understand how Evocation works when I get around to having a Villain that uses it.

No problem.  I believe I still have my notecard with all of my tags.

4 shifts of that blast cost me 2 debt points to pele, and 2 more shifts of it was a fate point to heighten my control.

All those shifts add up if someone waits long enough and if a teammate creates taggable aspects like Ian Fabian was.

That's the cool thing about this system.  Even non-combat oriented people like Melon could create aspects through maneuvers that a heavy hitter (like me) could use.

For instance, Gavin doesn't really throw around that much less power than I do.  However, since he was fighting for his life, just holding off a lob-strosity and taking evocation pot shots at it, it didn't do as much damage.

It also helps to have a catch-killer.  That's one reason I was willing to take the debt to Pele for the exra shifts there.  By interlacing my spells with Pele fire, I had a really good chance of meeting an aquatic creature's catch.

It's all a balancing act.  While I was able to make a huge attack, I had to spend resources and wait 4 rounds to do it.  I don't have 4 or 5 fate points kicking around (unless I get a bunch of compels in the future) so any fate points I use on the attack I cannot use on defense.

That could be bad.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »
BTW in case people haven't see, I made a comprehensive PC aspects list in the wiki. :)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2011, 01:21:04 AM »
Bear, can you do me a favor and list out everything you did to get up to that 27-shift spell you pulled off on the first Fry-spell? i.e. all the base Shifts Declared, Maneuvers used, Focus Items used, Rote Spell and whatever Aspects were invoked. It will help me understand how Evocation works when I get around to having a Villain that uses it.

Against the lobstrosity – spell of doom.
Round by round breakdown.

Before battle:  Ethan rolled discipline to get the aspect “Prepared for battle.”

Upon reaching attacking distance of one lobstrosity:
Ethan used discipline (was going to be athletics) to wave his arms in arcane gestures, focusing his spell.
This created the aspect, “Arcane gestures.”

Ethan then spent another turn to roll for another maneuver, this time using athletics to get the best position to fire his blast.  This created the aspect, “Vantage point.”

Before Ethan went, Ian Fabian used a fate point to declare “slippery ground”.

Before Ian went, all powerful GM gives Ethan the reoccurring offensive aspect, “Proximity to Pele” (worth 1 shift, not 2).

Attach round:  Ethan casts his spell.

Ethan casts a 4 shift weapon spirit evocation attack.  He then uses 2 debt points to Pele to bring it up to 8.  (1 debt point = 2 shifts of power or control).  This also gives Ethan the option of adding 1 point to either power or control via the Pele write up okayed by the GM since it’s a spell to hurt something and Pele loves violence.

So base spell strength is 8 weapon.

After this, Ethan rolls for discipline.  He has a base of +5 and rolls a +2.  This gives him a 7 which normally would not control the power of the spell.

However, Ethan uses his “Proximity to Pele” tag and his +1 for violent Pele magic and applies it to his control.  This brings it to +9.

Now we are looking at:
8 shift power (interlaced with fire and with the catch for most aquatic supernatural creatures)
9 shift control

Then the fun begins.  Ethan tags:
Prepared for trouble +2
Arcane gestures +2
Vantage point +2
Slippery ground +2

That is +8 to control.
Now we have:

8 shift power (interlaced with fire and with the catch for most aquatic supernatural creatures)
17 shift control

However, Ethan decides this is not overkill enough and uses 1 fate point to invoke the aspect, “Warrior of Pele”.  ::Note- the GM probably could have compelled him via “Maui’s Fishhook” to go even MORE overkill.  He would have had to use one more fate point, but he would have gotten one in return for accepting the compel.

Thing brings the final spell to:
8shifts of power (with aquatic catch)
19 shifts of control

…For a total of 27 shifts.   
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second spell breakdown:

Ethan spent a turn waving his hands in arcane gestures to focus the spell again.  “Arcane gestures”

Someone (I believe Ian) gave the lobstrosity 2 mild consequences before Ethan attacked.  GOODIE!

Ethan attacks.

He calls up 4 shifts of power with 2 shifts of power from Pele (for 1 debt point) for a total of 6 shifts.

So base spell strength is 6 weapon.

Ethan rolls a +1 to discipline, adding to his +5 base to give +6.  He controls the spell.

He then tacks on the +1 for offensive Pele magic and the +1 from “Proximity to Pele”.

This brings it to a:
6 weapon spell (laced with fire and satisfying the catch of most aquatic monsters)
8 to control

Now the fun begins again.

Ethan cannot tag “Slippery floor” since it has already been tagged.
However, he can tag:

Arcane gestures +2
1st mild consequence +2
And 2nd mild consequence +2

This bring it to 6 weapon spell (with fire and meeting the catch of most aquatic creatures)
And a cool 14 shift attack rating.

=another dead lobster when the 20 shift spell hits.

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 01, 2011, 01:40:24 AM »
Just remember the wetting of pants was because Lob-Zilla was trying to use me as a human piñata, not because the lob-Zillas were taking everything we threw at them and laughing at me, really.

That being said, im sure Ian is much happier with wet pants and a sea urchin in his shoulder, from jumping over a table and landing ass down in a lab awash from the broken remains of the very large aquarium,  then seeing what his insides look like on the outside of him. Ian will no long antagonize the lion fish next time he sees Calliope. And the next time Marty asks who the good lobsters are and taps on an aquarium the resounding answer will be none of them and we will proceed to call an air strike if available.

Ahem... Now we have to find out if Riley actually knew that his (rock...rock) lobsters were freaking capable of taking on (the combatants) 2 wizards, an FBI agent and a 2nd amendment loving, ATF hating redneck, not to mention a reporter, and a certain lovable rouge who will remain nameless who might not be able to go to red lobster for awhile. OR....Riley is clueless and those (rock...rock) lobsters were there to silence him if he found to many things out with his trips to the Med. Or Z is too paranoid and that was just REN wanting to dish out a little hate with a side of melted butter.

Fantazero - My particular model of the M&P40 was recalled because the finish was not set right so no it was not blood on the sights, it was a tad bit of rust. Seeing how that was my duty weapon, i couldn't just send it back to get the finish redone.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:44:40 AM by zegion »
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 01, 2011, 01:44:31 AM »
...no it was not blood on the sights, it was a tad bit of rust. ...
sure it was  ;)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Also...
« Reply #373 on: February 01, 2011, 03:55:07 AM »
For those who have not read the books or don't want to obsessively read the books three or more times to glean the rules like I've had to, I am going to make wiki pages that quickly and concisely list some of the mechanics.

I think it may help quite a bit - for me and for everyone else.

I'd like to encourage everyone once they're up to check them out and make any necessary revisions.

Offline Malkyne

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 01, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »
I am very much looking forward to the campaign synopsis!  I wish I could have been there... argh.  I can't wait for the next session.