Author Topic: Write What You Read?  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Velkyn_Faer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Write What You Read?
« on: February 27, 2007, 04:17:00 AM »
A long time ago I came to realize that, due to the small bit of ADD that I have (this is not a joke, it is said in all seriousness.) I have a bit of trouble focusing... *starts to wander off* (sorry, couldn't resist.) ... on what I'm writing if I'm not reading the same thing.

Right now I can't start a new book I bought because it is a totally different from the fantasy story I'm writing. The only reason I get my first book finished is because I discovered the huge world of Forgotten Realms, and read all of those as I wrote my first book and got well into my second. Now, I'm reading Wheel of Time, so my current story is fantasy (different book now) and probably will stay that way until I finish the Wheel of Time series.

Does anyone else have this issue? I just can't seem to write Sci-fi when reading fantasy, or urban fantasy while reading mystery.

Velkyn

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Write What You Read?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 05:08:10 AM »
A long time ago I came to realize that, due to the small bit of ADD that I have (this is not a joke, it is said in all seriousness.) I have a bit of trouble focusing... *starts to wander off* (sorry, couldn't resist.) ... on what I'm writing if I'm not reading the same thing.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I kind of have the opposite; can't read anything too close to what I'm writing because it starts interfering.  Not that there seems to be that much close to what I am currently writing.  Not that it's not being difficult anyway, hoom hom.

But then, come to think of it, I'm mildly OCD, so that's kind of in the opposite direction anyway.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline etoiline

• Participant
  • thinking really hard
    • View Profile
    • aspire to the stars
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 07:51:32 AM »
I've got a touch of ADD as well, but I've found that I swing between both of you. It's kind of obvious what I was reading when I wrote last year's NaNo, because it shows up in the story. So I try to stay away from the *sub-genre* that I'm writing, since just about everything I read is somewhere in the fantasy realm, and *everything that I write is; but I *have* to read, no matter what I'm writing. I go crazy if I can't read at least a few pages of a book each day. Yes, I am a book addict. But I'm working on addicting myself to writing ;)

~Cal
~~
aspire to the stars: http://etoiline.com

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:22:52 PM »
Sure, what you read is going to affect what you write. It gets your mind in a certain mode and tends to make it what your thoughts revolve around for a while. I worry more about unconsciously, or consciously even, copying those books I'm reading, whether it's the author's style, or even plot scenes. Never want to do that, and while copying a style can be good for those still searching for their writing voice, I certainly want to be discovering my unique phrases, rather than hurrying a good joke or word twist toward clichedom by overusing it. I find that what I'm writing (which right now is a modern-day science fiction) hasn't been hampered by any of the books I've read in the past couple of months, which have included fantasy, science fiction, historical nonfiction, psychological social trends, thriller, and comedy. I do read mostly speculative fiction, but I do try to blend other genres in to give myself a broader taste and experience, and fortunately I don't feel that reading one type of book limits me to writing in that manner. Any reading serves as inspiration for whatever project I'm on.

Though I can understand how some people might have a problem with this. If there's anything similar to it that I've experienced, it's being caught up in a story that I'm writing, and then I read a book in the same genre and start seeing a lot of similarities between creatures, the magic, or the plot itself. It can be discouraging to discover that your idea isn't as fresh or unique to you as you thought. However, that can then serve as further inspiration to twist the story and world all the more and make it stand out from the other books that might deal with similar subject matter or storylines.

www.jrvogt.com
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline Nemo

• Conversationalist
  • International Wizard of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:52:23 PM »
I agree that what you read tends to color what you write.  For me it is a problem simply because I have so many different interests that I normally read about six books at a time.  But I am trying to overcome it and get back into some real writing, not stuff that I would do for school.
"Harry, even a nerd should know that it's no coincidence when a girl shows up at a man's hotel room.  You know all she really wants is to--" ~ Bob

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »
I usually write fantasy and that's mostly what I read (or has some element of it) so no problem.  Haven't tried writing scifi for...seven years or so...so no idea how I'd handle that.  Probably alright since I can remember most of the plot from Pern and what MechWarrior/BattleTech books I've read.

Usually what I read and write is pretty separate I think.  What I'm reading at the time doesn't color what I write unless it really inspires me.  Last book of Codex got me up and writing the last few chapters of one of my stories.  That's the only time I can recall a link 'tween the two.
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline CynDe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »
I try to read authors with a very vivid style when I am writing.  Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Guy Gavriel Kay, Lois McMaster Bujold, and P.G. Wodehouse tend to get a workout when I write. I try not to read in the genre I am writing when I am writing.

Offline BobSkull

• Participant
  • Justice or Vengeance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 05:05:45 PM »
It doesn't matter to me. I read historical fiction/fantasy/horro/urban fantasy all the time when I'm writing my fantasy/creature fiction/mystery books and it doesn't interfere in the least.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline DresdenStarSourceress

• Participant
  • Magic is the key to the realm of dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 03:49:36 AM »
I write based on the ideas i get from reading fanfics ;D
Magic is the key to the spirit realm, wizards and sourcerers hold the mystery of ones soul but it's up to us to discover it.

Offline Drew

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • www.DrewHenriksen.com
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 04:47:48 AM »
No, my brain goes off into its own world when I write. 

Offline skaoi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 01:46:57 AM »
What an interesting question.  I'm thinking back to what I've been reading and I don't think I've actually read anything in the fantasy genre since I started writing last year.  I think I'm in a place right now where I am so enamored of the work my co-writer and I are doing that I really don't feel the need to pick up anything else.