Author Topic: Workspaces: Arcane Spellwork & Ritual / Arcane Sanctum?  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Workspaces: Arcane Spellwork & Ritual / Arcane Sanctum?
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »
Hi.

So maybe I'm blind or something, but I can't seem to find something in the rules.

Resources: Workspaces list Arcane Spellwork & Ritual / Arcane Sanctum, but I can't seem to find the rules for them.  There's the bit where Dresden mentions having a sub-basement, bathrobe, and he shops at Walmart, but there aren't any rules there (unless I've missed something) that link Resources to building spells.

So, have I missed something or was that something that was (at one time) planned and later dropped from the book - except for that one chart?

Richard

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Workspaces: Arcane Spellwork & Ritual / Arcane Sanctum?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:49:39 AM »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:59:50 AM »
Ah - the question has already been asked.

Thanks for the links!

Richard

Offline TheRealMe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
I am new to both the Dresden RPG and the books (working now on Grave Peril).   Great stuff, by the way. 

I have a Sanctum question.

I will pause here to allow everyone time to roll their eyes.  :)

Soon my group will start a campaign and I will be playing a wealthy White Council wizard.  My refresh points are very precious, and I want to know if I should spend any for a nice Arcane Sanctum.   Despite reading various threads in this forum, I have been unable to understand how an Arcane Sanctum is supposed to work, except in a vague way that you can use it to tag Resources to increase your power with thamauturgy (but why couldn't you tag Resources without one, like you can with other skills?).  Anyway, my GM has pretty much given up trying to figure them out, and encouraged me to NOT take a Sanctum to keep things simple.

So, what is the value of having various ratings of Arcane Sanctum?   

As a specific question, consider the following:  Let us say that we have three wizards: Tom, Dick, and Harry.  Tom is fabulously wealthy, and in the basement of his mansion he has a fully stocked Arcane Sanctum rated at 6.  Dick is rather well off, and can afford an Sanctum rated at 3.  Harry, as we all know, must make do with a cramped basement stuffed with Wal-mart supplies and a talking skull, with a Sanctum rating of 0 (or more likely, -2).

Each of these wizards has a Lore skill of 4.  How does each wizard's Arcane Sanctum help or hinder them in their work?

Thank you for any response.

- Ed

Your logic is flawless.  But that doesn't mean you're right! - Tedd Good

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 08:13:17 AM »
At the very least it sets up declarations for making the necessary complexity for thaumaturgical spell if/when you don't have enough shifts.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline eberg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 04:46:04 PM »
So, what is the value of having various ratings of Arcane Sanctum?   

As a specific question, consider the following:  Let us say that we have three wizards: Tom, Dick, and Harry.  Tom is fabulously wealthy, and in the basement of his mansion he has a fully stocked Arcane Sanctum rated at 6.  Dick is rather well off, and can afford an Sanctum rated at 3.  Harry, as we all know, must make do with a cramped basement stuffed with Wal-mart supplies and a talking skull, with a Sanctum rating of 0 (or more likely, -2).

Each of these wizards has a Lore skill of 4.  How does each wizard's Arcane Sanctum help or hinder them in their work?
My house rule, which has been working out well, is that the Sanctum rating counts as shifts of complexity for rituals performed with it. So, using your example: Harry's sanctum is really just good for allowing declarations for preparation, Dick is able to pull off 7 shifts of complexity when working in his sanctum without extra preparation, and Tom is able to pull off complexity 10 stuff in his sanctum without extra work.