Author Topic: A Shopping List Of Consequences  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
A Shopping List Of Consequences
« on: August 19, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
The list on YS204 is a good start, but I'm like to see what others have had in their games, what the players and GM's have come up with, or any that have been really memorable.

Would appreciate it if you would also include if they were mild, moderate or severe.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A Shopping List Of Consequences
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
In one scene in the game I'm running, a spellcaster, attempting to work an evocation well beyond his normal power level, picked up a minor consequence of "cut wrist", alongside a moderate consequence of "woozy from blood loss", as he used his own blood to fuel a powerful zone-wide attack against a pack of ghouls.  (And that was just on calling up power!  Fortunately, he rolled well on control, and only had to spend two fate points to avoid taking more backlash than his physical stress track could accommodate.)

Since there was a medic immediately available, neither of those warranted severe consequence status.  But I did throw a compel at the moderate consequence to make him pass out a round or two later.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »
I'd like to see more Social Consequences, myself, since I intend on using social conflicts a lot.  Stuff like EMBARRASSED, FAUX PAS, ON THE SPOT, TAKEN DOWN A NOTCH, SCANDALOUS SECRET EXPOSED, GOSSIP FODDER, MAKES CHILDREN CRY, NOT FIT FOR COMPANY, BLACKLISTED, WANTED DEAD OR DEAD, LOOKS LIKE A LOSER.

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »
I'd like to see more Social Consequences, myself, since I intend on using social conflicts a lot.  Stuff like EMBARRASSED, FAUX PAS, ON THE SPOT, TAKEN DOWN A NOTCH, SCANDALOUS SECRET EXPOSED, GOSSIP FODDER, MAKES CHILDREN CRY, NOT FIT FOR COMPANY, BLACKLISTED, WANTED DEAD OR DEAD, LOOKS LIKE A LOSER.

EGG ON MY FACE; YOU SAID WHAT?!; FOOT IN MOUTH; WALK A MILE IN THOSE SHOES; SCARLET LETTER;  BETTER YOU THAN ME; ROLLS DOWNHILL; CAT GOT YOUR TONGUE

Just to name few...

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 07:46:26 PM »
I agree the social ones are a little harder to come up with. So seeing them on this listing is pretty cool.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:50:23 PM »
WALK A MILE IN THOSE SHOES; BETTER YOU THAN ME;

How would you use these?

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:13:24 PM »
How would you use these?

The first one would be a great one for...using a Harry-esque example...a mother trying to get an investigator to help in a situation he's not sure he wants to get involved to get him to rethink his position and help.  Or it could be used if someone were to get "knocked down the social ladder".

The second could be used as the result of an intimidation, or even if someone were to take a social consequence intended for another target.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
The first one would be a great one for...using a Harry-esque example...a mother trying to get an investigator to help in a situation he's not sure he wants to get involved to get him to rethink his position and help.  Or it could be used if someone were to get "knocked down the social ladder".

So you'd apply WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES as a Mild (perhaps Moderate) Consequence on someone as a result of using a Rapport or Deceit attack on them to make them pity you?  I can see that.  It would stick to the character and make them basically pity anyone in your position, wouldn't it?

And then you'd apply TRY WALKING A MILE IN HIS SHOES to someone as a superior demoting someone down to humble them for awhile?  I can see that, too.

Ok.

The second could be used as the result of an intimidation, or even if someone were to take a social consequence intended for another target.

BETTER YOU THAN ME seems like awkward phrasing for a Consequence.  Consequences are something that sticks on the character, like a wound.

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:45:06 PM »
BETTER YOU THAN ME seems like awkward phrasing for a Consequence.  Consequences are something that sticks on the character, like a wound.

I think he means it from the point of view of the opponent, but I'm kinda at a loss myself on to how it would apply.

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:58:31 PM »
Whole big list of them back in an older thread.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19201.0.html

Enjoy.

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »
Whole big list of them back in an older thread.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19201.0.html

Enjoy.

Thanks, thats a good list. :)  And I completely overlooked it.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 09:06:37 PM »
Hey thanks Bubba. Appreciate the helping link :)

Offline caul

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 02:43:01 PM »
Don't really understand why you need a list for these.  I wouldn't think it would be difficult to just make it up on the spot, based upon the narration of what is happening in the scene.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
Don't really understand why you need a list for these.  I wouldn't think it would be difficult to just make it up on the spot, based upon the narration of what is happening in the scene.

More to see what others are doing, and get the creative juices flowing than anything.

My favorites are those using bad movie or song quotes, like "It's just a flesh wound!" (mild physical). 

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 04:09:32 PM »
More to see what others are doing, and get the creative juices flowing than anything.
My favorites are those using bad movie or song quotes, like "It's just a flesh wound!" (mild physical).

Right on.

I like that in aspects too - especially aspects that're all from a movie or a movie genre, something that has a theme to it.

And its not just seeing what everybody is doing, but lets face it - lists are a good way for some players & GMs to develop a consistent sense of what fits where and how. Different people learn, organize, communicate and retain differently, and I try to respect that in my group.

So for all those who contributed with ideas & fruitful discussion, thank you, I appreciate it :)