Author Topic: Using DFRPG to stat your favorite non Dresden characters  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Using DFRPG to stat your favorite non Dresden characters
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:19:05 AM »
One of the coolest threads from the Green Ronin forums was where folks statted out a huge range of characters from different genre using True20. I would love to see us put together something like that for DF if there is any interest.

So, can you stat a character or creature from Lord of the Rings? How about Mr. Spock? Spiderman? Adrian Monk? Doc Holliday? Chewbacca? William Wallace? Jaime Lannister? I'm throwing down the gauntlet to the DF rpg forum - you must deliver!
 ;D

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:23:38 AM by Tush Hog »

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Using DFRPG to stat your favorite non Dresden characters
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:54:48 AM »
Captain Samuel Vimes, a la Guards! Guards!.  Feet in the Water power level
Template: Pure Mortal
High Aspect: Officer of the Bloody Law
Trouble Aspect: Drunk if I do, Knurd if I don't
Other aspects: Just the Three of Us Left, Now
Not Prejudiced - I Dislike Everyone Equally
Bad Habit of Speaking my Mind
Simmering Anger
Walked These Streets Every Night For Years

Skills:
Great: Intimidation
Good: Fists, Discipline
Fair: Weapons, Endurance
Average: Burglary, Alertness, Contacts, Investigation, Conviction, Stealth

Stunts:
Ear to the Ground (-1)
Iron Willed (-1): use Discipline, rather than Conviction, to determine mental stress capacity
Armed Arts (-1): Club, Sword
No Pain, No Gain (-1)
Interrogator (-1)
Night Watchman (-1) (+2 to Stealth at night in the city)
Scene of the Crime (-1)

Stress:
Physical: ooo
Mental: oooo
Social: oo
+1 mild Physical consequence

A bit of an approximation, but I think an accurate one.  May put up later-series Vimes in a bit.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:25:33 AM »
I've done a couple. An apporximation of Geralt of Rivia, an Overlord, Wolverine, etc. This system can basically make anything, if you try a bit. So long as you don't make an Agent from Crackdown my enemy, I'll be fine (clone after clone of superhumans coming after you, getting stronger and stronger with each attempt).
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:08:04 AM »
From Whedonverse, I toyed around with making some Firefly characters awhile back but never finished, I might go back and try to work on River again (which while sitting here typing this up I can think of several ideas about how to make her, she's more complicated than I originally thought). Echo from Dollhouse would probably be fairly simple to make (some sort of modular/mimic abilities). Many things from Buffy/Angel would be relatively simple to make as they are almost Dresden-esque in game terms.

There are a good chunk of Marvel or DC characters I'd like to see made, including the potentially unstatable Multiple-Man, Jamie Madrox (self-duplication). Most comic book characters would probably be easy to make, Flash? Mythic Speed (maybe more?). Batman/Green Arrow? Stunt heavy Mortals. Lanterns? IoP bearers (though I'm lost trying to make some of the weirder things you can do with the rings work). It's people with multiple powers/abilities that make stating a pain in the ass (moreso for the desire to make something playable than anything else). I could see someone like Superman being a 20+ refresh character.

If I have free time today, I might try and take a look at River, Echo, and maybe the slayers/vampires.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:11:36 AM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Stormraven

• Conversationalist
  • Heading for Left Field at Warp 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »
I've been kind of working on Kevin Matchstick, but I'm currently unsure exactly what level to put him at.  Submerged, or 'Submerged +'.

Of course, considering his situation, I might just not bother - if he ever were to show up, it would likely be as a plot device.
I will choose a path that's clear; I will choose Freewill.

The Sorceress Sleuth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGUR81W

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
I'd be willing to try such characters as Michael Westen and Shawn Spencer... However, my other current favorite, Edwin Drood, would be a bit of a challenge. (And yes, I've read the Drood thread already...)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:15:40 PM by pfloyd »
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »
There are older threads that go over this one. I started one starting with Dexter Morgan.  ;D
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:34:16 PM »
I'd be willing to try such characters as Michael Westen and Shawn Spencer...

Deadmanwalking wrote up the Burn Notice trio, I gave those sheets some web-pages here.

I'd love to see someone do Shaun and Gus from Psych. The crew from Leverage would be awesome, as would Cal Lightman from Lie to Me and the team from Warehouse 13.
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »
I thought about doing something flashy but this should be more useful. And more fun.

Sergeant Schultz
Origin: Hogan's Heroes
High Concept: Reluctant Military Man
Trouble: Do I really have to be the bad guy?
Other Aspects: "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing!"; "Give me back my gun or I'll SHOOT!"; Competent at all the wrong times

Skills:
2 Alertness
2 Contacts
2 Craftsmanship
1 Deceit
1 Guns
1 Intimidation
1 Investigation
2 Rapport
1 Stealth

Stunts:
Corner of my Eye (Alertness)
Ear to the Ground (Contacts)
Infuriate (Intimidation)
Best Foot Forward (Rapport)

Stress: 2 social, 2 mental, 2 physical

Refresh: -2

Notes: Functions well as a funny, borderline incompetent captor. He has a rifle but he never loads it and tends to misplace it or hand it to his captives. Generally wants to be a jailor even less than you want to be a captive. For further info, see the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan%27s_heroes#Sergeant_Schultz

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
Deadmanwalking wrote up the Burn Notice trio, I gave those sheets some web-pages here.

I'd love to see someone do Shaun and Gus from Psych. The crew from Leverage would be awesome, as would Cal Lightman from Lie to Me and the team from Warehouse 13.

Well, poo, there goes my weekend activities then... :)

I'll work on the Psych crew, and maybe even tackle the Leverage gang.

Hmm, I should sit and watch the new Scooby Doo series with my son... could do writeups on them if no one's tackled that already...
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »
Okay, here goes then... Feel free to comment as needed...

Shawn Spencer
Origin: Psych
High Concept: "Psychic" Detective
Trouble: I'm a Fraud -- Prove It!
Other Aspects: Police Consultant, Eidetic Memory, Random Stream of Consciousness1, Dad's a Cop, <insert fifth aspect here>2

Skills
Great (+4): Alertness, Investigation
Good (+3): Rapport, Empathy
Fair (+2): Deceit, Scholarship, Presence
Average (+1): Burglary, Conviction, Endurance, Stealth

Stunts
Corner of My Eye
The Big Picture
Read the Surface
Listening
Quick Eye
Scene of the Crime
Honest Lies
Takes One to Know One

Stress
Mental = 3
Physical = 3
Social = 3

Total Refresh = 1

Notes:
1. This leads to the random leaps in logic that he makes that end up paying off. I'm also lumping in his odd behavioral habits, his love for pineapples, infatuation with people's hairstyles, and his ability to come up with bizarre yet humorous aliases for Gus in this Aspect.
2. Couldn't come up with anything at the time. It'll come to me, I'm sure.

Edit 20 Aug 2010 -- Removed Guns, added Burglary. Changed wording on Trouble.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:17:49 PM by pfloyd »

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 07:29:09 PM »
Looks pretty good so far. As for (3), I also couldn't remember of the top of my head Shawn using a gun, but after a little googling it seems to have been the pilot episode.

To quote from here.
In the pilot episode Detective Lucinda (Anne Dudek) uses a Walther P99 at the police shooting range before handing the weapon off to Shawn Spencer (James Roday) who procedes to fire several shots each adjacent to the Detective's hits.
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
For his Trouble aspect, I'd say less a consequence (outed as a fraud) and more the tension "I'm a fraud - but prove it!" or "I know you know I'm a fake." otherwise, I'd say it fits.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 07:46:18 PM »
Alright my good sir. Gauntlet of challenge accepted. Here's an attempt to stat Raistlin Majere right after the events of Dragons of An Autumn Twilight. Tell me what you guys think.

Raistlin Majere
High Concept: Red Robed Wizard of High Sorcery
Trouble: Power and the Price For It
Other Aspects: The Sly One; Cursed Hourglass Eyes; My Power Grows Greater Every Day; My Terrible Secret; Companions of Old

Stress
Physical OO
Mental OOOO
Social OOO

Skills 25/25
Great(+4) Conviction, Deceit
Good(+3) Discipline, Scholarship,
Fair(+2) Lore, Performance, Empathy
Average(+1) Presence, Rapport, Intimidation, Investigation, Alertness

Powers
[-3] Evocation
[-2] Ritual (Divination)
[-1] The Sight

Specializations
Evocation: Elements (Spirit, Fire, Air) Power (Spirit +1)
Focus Item Slots (2)
Staff of Magius +1 control to spirit
Enchanted Item Slots (4)
Staff of Magius 4 shift fire evocation that places a sticky aspect similar to Well Lit on the scene 3/session.*
Staff of Magius 4 shift Air evocation that places a sticky aspect similar to Falling Lightly on the holder 3/session.*
*The Staff of Magius use’s Magius’s lore of Great(+4) for it’s enchanted item effects.

Notes: This is Raistlin immediately after the events of Dragons of An Autumn Twilight. He is a Wizard of high sorcery but isn’t quite there yet in terms of sheer power. He still lacks full thaumaturgy, and his evocations are fairly dangerous for him. His trouble is frequently compelled to cause his cough. He can be very dangerous (as a wizard can) but only briefly before his power starts to weaken, and his health, or lack there of, gets in the way.

Total Refresh Cost: -6 (Adjusted refresh of 1)
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 07:48:35 PM »
Good points on both...

Guns: Since that was a one-off, I'm willing to drop it, unless I can say that at this point in the series, he's had a few milestones and can therefore afford Burglary in addition to Guns.

Trouble: Good wording on it, I can alter that in the next iteration.

This is a work in progress... wasn't sure where in the series I would place him. If I did it as of last night's episode, he'd definitely have some milestones behind him...