Author Topic: The Hockey Stick of Doom  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
The Hockey Stick of Doom
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »
Like so many threads, here's another community project. I got into Dresden through the show and I have an affinity for some of the stronger ideas from it if my current Avatar is any indication. I am finally in a game and I want to do the Hockey Stick of Doom as an Item of Power in the future because I finally found a way to do it and I'd like some community input to get the right kind of madness into the item.

Here's the background:

About a year or two before the Paranet was formed, a unique occult organization formed in the Seattle Area(This is a Face of Seattle's Theme It All Started Here, reflecting the dotcom booms, Starbucks, etc). Like similiar organizations, it is composed of minor talents, focused practitioners and few other talents, but Seattle gives them mostly people coming into their anti-technology talents after trying like hell to get into the area's IT industry, some of which have degrees already. But unlike other organizations, the Emerald City Eldritch Engineers are a special kind of....bold. They operate like a union and staffing company.

Harry mentioned that supernatural practitioners can make stupid amounts of money.....these are those people.

They  test their collective skills (and make money) by using their talents for a variety of projects. These include everything from their Blackjack team(led by their resident Entromancer), their Party service(they do parties) to their alchemists who produce their love potions and their most of the time non-magical but very effective Faerie Repellent Bat-Spray

The Hockey Stick of Doom was one such project, done not for any reason but to see if they could do it. Also, they actually call it the Hockey Stick of Doom.

The only requirement of this Item of Power is Wings [-1].

But with a +2 bonus for the Item of Power...what else to give it?
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: The Hockey Stick of Doom
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:28:31 AM »
simple.... laser beams. You can't have the word doom in it if it doesn't have lasers! Either that or the ability to produce flaming monkey poo. Your pick.

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:20:05 AM »
Consider who's going to use it.  I don't see why it couldn't actually grant Athletics of some rank to the holder, after all it is a hockey stick.  Why not let the wielder also imbue small objects smacked with the stick with a certain amount of Spirit energy, turning them into Weapon:X attacks.  I can just see pucks it launches being surrounded by screaming, flaming skulls as they shriek through the air to their goal.  A pro winging one of those pucks in real life can hurt you pretty damn bad (relative terms aside) so go crazy awesome with it.  Don't you also get an additional bonus to it for it being so big and difficult to hide?

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
Gotta be able to shoot flaming pucks with light trails ... just like Foxsports used to have when you could tell how fast the puck was going by the light trail it had :D

Slapshots, wrist-shots, deflections, and add in defensive stuff like poke-checks, hooks, slashes... I mean, that thing is a weapon.

I'd almost do the hockey tape of doom. Then you use it to empower a mundane hockey stick that will inevitably break after some use. Then you run around trying to decide, should I use a traditional wood stick? Carbon fibre? Composite?

Or have the stick be a stick of renown, ie. it was used by Rocket Richard to score his 50th goal in 1945. Add a couple of runes to it and he shoots! HE SCORES!!!!!!

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »
So does this have a Gordie Howe Hat Trick Ability?  ;D

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:42:57 PM »
So does this have a Gordie Howe Hat Trick Ability?  ;D

That'd be a neat Character Aspect....
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
A non-hockey variant would be "Ever Notice How Things Always Happen In Three's?"

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »
The whole hockey theme has enough to unify a character's Aspects as well. Here's one off the cuff:

High concept: Ex-NHL goon
Trouble: I Should've Been Somebody
5 Minutes For Fighting, There's No I In Team, Always Comes Through In Overtime