Author Topic: Gun Styles  (Read 4216 times)

The Werewolf

Gun Styles
« on: August 12, 2010, 03:35:02 AM »
so i majorly changed my character and i need more gun styles besides barrage and sniper, anyone got any ideas?

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Styles
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 03:43:32 AM »
Well...

Barrage is quality by quantity.
Sniper is a big rifle with a scope...

How about...
Revolver, Quick Draw type.  Draw fast, shoot straight.

Or...

Just about any regular concept that uses a gun?

Maybe instead of focusing on your fighting style, you should focus on what your character does for a living that requires them to carry a gun?

Like, is your character a private detective?  A bodyguard?  Ex-police officer?  Pizza Delivery Boy (how else do you get a tip in a recession economy)?  Road Side Assistance Technician?  Mafioso?

Here is what you told us "so i majorly changed my character and i need more gun styles besides barrage and sniper, anyone got any ideas?"

Tell us about the non-gun side of the character and I am sure someone can make an amazing suggestion that will blow your socks off.  Or failing that, they might inspire you to come up with something.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:36:10 AM »
I am a fan of concealable anti-vehicle guns myself. There are revolvers out there that can fire .600 Nitro Express and .600 Overkill rounds. That kind of rounds tend to penetrate walls and kill the man behind.

And if you ask the question "Do you feel lucky?" when holding a 2-ft-long revolver into somebody's face, you know what the answer will be regardless of creature type.

Offline Barrington

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:14:34 AM »
Wow. You'd have to have Hulking Size for those things to be concealable. They're wider and heavier than most rifles of that length.

--

YOU ARE SO SMALL! IS FUNNY TO ME!
YOU ARE SO SMALL! IS FUNNY TO ME!

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »
the .600 nitro express would require inhuman strength to fire accurately in a pistol, since it doesn't fire accurately in reality. In fact, it's really silly. I mean, the round it self is meant to go into a hunting rifle made to take down large game animals. The recoil will usually break your wrist and send the gun flying into your face.

Here is what firing the pistol looks like.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8843601737447921926#

These guys are shooting I believe the .700 nitro express in a rifle, though it may be the .600

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8843601737447921926#docid=-272255642648022776

Here is the .700 nitro express

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8843601737447921926#docid=4730761375954476004

-edit-

So the guy in the last video seems to be handling the recoil better, but still, that is one hell of a bullet.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:27:39 PM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
so i majorly changed my character and i need more gun styles besides barrage and sniper, anyone got any ideas?

well theres gunslinger (old west style.  use 2 revolvers and lots of quickdraws.   Watch the "for a fistful of dollars" or the outlaw josey wales.  The first time clint eastwood plugs 4 dudes in a bout 2 seconds you'll be hooked)

Or Pistolier (single pistol, semi auto, well placed shots.  think murphy)

or the ever popular "double tap?  with this thing?"  (check out heavy calibre guns, like the Desert Eagle which runs up to .50 Action Express and is semi automatic, or the Taurus Raging Bull chambered in .454 casull.   It'll stop an elephant, but it won't break your arm and they make a model with a tiny tiny barrel for concealed carry.)

Then theres the automatics (like assault rifles.  Used properly they should NEVER be barraged or spray and prayed.   That don't work.   Disciplined fire is what works.  Quick, accurate bursts of fire.   IF your guy has ex military in his write up, i'd use this)
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:47:26 PM »
@KOFFEYKID:
That guy in the video did the mistake of shooting the nitro express round out of a 6lb gun. To shoot it right, you need this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_X5nyGu5LQ&feature=related

Also, you might want to consider a full-automatic shotgun as a heavy weapon;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqucgAIFEyM&feature=related

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »

Yes, get Spirit of the Century, similar system and has some great Gun Stunts that I am using in my game.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 01:07:35 AM »
the .600 nitro express would require inhuman strength to fire accurately in a pistol, since it doesn't fire accurately in reality. In fact, it's really silly. I mean, the round it self is meant to go into a hunting rifle made to take down large game animals. The recoil will usually break your wrist and send the gun flying into your face.

Here is what firing the pistol looks like.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8843601737447921926#

These guys are shooting I believe the .700 nitro express in a rifle, though it may be the .600

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8843601737447921926#docid=-272255642648022776

Here is the .700 nitro express

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8843601737447921926#docid=4730761375954476004

-edit-

So the guy in the last video seems to be handling the recoil better, but still, that is one hell of a bullet.

I agree these are pretty funny videos.  But, being a gun toting southerner I will tell you that most of the guys in these videos have little to no experience firing a rifle.  And, I can guarantee that they have no experience firing a high caliber rifle like these monsters.  As for the pistol.  No, it will not break your wrist and no you do not need to be a huge guy to fire one.  Technique is the key.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Kodiakc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 03:01:05 AM »
have you ever seen the movie Equilibrium?    ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdYSB7z7hok&feature=related

the Gun Kata might be what your looking for.
"My Faith Protects Me, My Kevlar, Helps"

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »
There are a lot of really cool Gun Stunts in Evil Hat's Spirit of the Century game, which I own. When Dresden was in the works Evil Hat said this game was the prototype to the system they will be using for Dresden Files.

I would list the descriptions but I am afraid the Admin would not like that because it would violate copyright. I can at least give you the names and page numbers, I also removed the ones that are in the Dresden Game already. It is up to you as the GM if these should be in your game and get the book, which I think is a good idea.

Aiming
  • Long Shot [Guns] (SoC pg 157)
  • Shot on the Run [Guns] (SoC pg 157)
  • Trick Shot [Guns] (SoC pg 157)

Ammunition
  • One Shot Left [Guns] (SoC pg 158)
  • Rain of Lead [Guns] (SoC pg 158)

Draw
  • Quick Draw [Guns] (SoC pg 159)
  • Lightning Hands [Guns] Requires Quick Draw. (SoC pg 159)
  • Snap Shot [Guns] Requires Lightning Hands. (SoC pg 159)

Firepower
  • Gun-Crazy [Guns](SoC pg 159)
  • Custom Firearm [Guns] Requires Gun-Crazy. (SoC pg 160)
  • Two Gun Joe [Guns] (SoC pg 160)

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »
have you ever seen the movie Equilibrium?    ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdYSB7z7hok&feature=related

the Gun Kata might be what your looking for.

gah, as much as the idea of gunfighting as a complete martial art appeals to me, that movie has no idea how katas really work in a martial art.

You don't USE a kata in an actual fight.  All the kata is for is get your body used to shifting from one position to the next fluidly. 

A real fight is more of a jam session than a fixed piece.
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 08:42:01 PM »
gah, as much as the idea of gunfighting as a complete martial art appeals to me, that movie has no idea how katas really work in a martial art.

You don't USE a kata in an actual fight.  All the kata is for is get your body used to shifting from one position to the next fluidly. 

Dude, its hollywood.  Do they understand how anything "really works".  Reality is over rated.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
We are on a forum about a magical world of wizards and vampires and you want to argue about reality and how things really work?  OK, this is getting a little surreal.  But, anyway gun stunts can be really simple.  Look for the outcome you want in a firefight and you can design it through some simple mechanics.  For example the trick shot can help with any non-lethal application of firearms.  You already have one written up for additional damage.  The SOC stunts are a good start.  I would consider things like immobilizing shot where damage is applied to the athletics and movement rolls of the target instead of the stress track. 
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Kodiakc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
easy easy its just a suggestion for a game not saying its real life lol
but gunplay is a martial art. (martial meaning warlike) just because it does not have titles,belts, or sashes does not make it less of one.

a lot of systems do try and pass off kata as something you would do in a RL instance that why you see a lot of so called Black Belts getting the tar beat out of them because they have been taught a lie in a point system and never really got into the ring to 'grind meat'

I have seen "jam session" aka brawling (done by the un or under trained) and it isnt pretty lol
"fixed piece" to me is where you see a fighter completely in control of his actions and even the actions of his opponent. both in the ring and on the street.

"My Faith Protects Me, My Kevlar, Helps"