Author Topic: Any Advice?  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Slapdaddy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Any Advice?
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:57:47 AM »
Hello all,
I've got an issue...
I decided to write my first story (the idea in my head that wouldn't go away). I spent months developing my story, working on the characters, changing my outline, reading everything I could find on the craft, etc... A week or 2 ago I decided my outline was done and everything was ready to finally write my first draft...and nothing. I don't know what the mental block is but I'm having a heckuva time even making myself think about my story, much less work on it.
So my questions are:
1. Is this normal? Do a lot of people go through this?
and
2. Any advice on getting over this hurdle?

I really do not want to see this story die before it even gets started. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The huge golden space ship hung in the air in almost exactly the way a brick doesn't. - Douglas Adams

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Any Advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:05:21 PM »
1) Yes, it's normal.
2) Brandon Sanderson's sure fire method for dealing with writers block is: butt in chair, hands on keyboard. After that I'd close out all programs that are distracting (internet, email, solitaire, mine sweeper) so you have to force yourself to write.

Best of luck with you!
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 02:55:42 PM »
There are some people for whom writing an outline kills a story.  You could be one of those.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »
It's not uncommon for people who've planned and plotted and daydreamed and replanned to find out they can't bring themselves to write.  Sometimes it's fear of messing up what is such an excellent story in their heads, of not being able to live up to their own story.  Sometimes it's simple exhaustion from having done so much planning; they're sick of the story now.  Sometimes (like me, one of the people neuro was talking about) once they've done all that work they feel they've told the story and any impetus to re-tell it in narrative form is gone.

That said, there's no cure.  None.  All you can do is write.  Write anyway, write even if you don't feel like it, write the worst schlock imaginable.  Because it's ok if it's terrible.

It really is ok if it's terrible.

It's ok because you can edit it.  What you CAN'T do is edit a blank page, as the saying goes.  You need to get all the words down before you can go back and fix the bad ones.  You can't fix plot holes or weak characterization until you've written plot holes and weak characters. 

So yeah, like Enj said, butt to chair.  Start writing.  Don't get up until you've met a wordcount goal.  It doesn't have to be grand.  I know people who say 500 words a day, or even only 300.  You can up it later if you find yourself loosening up, but it's something external to the story to give you hope that you will soon "be done", and yet you'll feel like you got something accomplished.  It's also a big help if you do it at the same time every day.

Honestly, the feeling will get better.  In the end, what you've been doing is great, but it's not writing and only writing makes writing easier.  You'll see.  In a week or so, you'll have blown the rust off your talent and the words will come easier.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »
That said, there's no cure.  None.  All you can do is write.  Write anyway, write even if you don't feel like it, write the worst schlock imaginable.  Because it's ok if it's terrible.
It really is ok if it's terrible.
It's ok because you can edit it.

Not meaning to be a wet blanket, but as some people can't outline, there are people who can't edit.

There are however not many, so I would certainly advise giving this a go.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline daranthered

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
Something that works for me is to try and write something else.  I do not mean another story, just something to get going.  answer emails, write a forum post, blog, or anything.  Every short story I've written requires a short essay to get going.

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 01:48:22 AM »
When all else fails there is the writer's eternal cure:  alcohol.

Please be don't write and drive.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 04:23:04 PM »
When all else fails there is the writer's eternal cure:  alcohol.

Please be don't write and drive.
I dunno, Stephen King tried that (plus cocain and nicotine) and ended up in rehab...

that said and done, just write. it'll pass eventually. ;)
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.