Author Topic: Writer Promotion  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
  • Uh...what was the question?
    • View Profile
    • Author Paige Cuccaro~ Alison Paige
Writer Promotion
« on: June 06, 2006, 12:29:49 PM »
I was wondering how much promotion type stuff Jim had to and/ or does for his books?

In the romance genre authors are promotion slap happy. Bookmarks, pens, magnets, postcards, promotional mailing lists/ newsletters, magazine ads, websites, Amazon author pages, sticking bookmarks in utility bill payments, blogs, book signings, speaking engagements, press kits, chats, conducting workshops, posting on tons of email loops and forums... It’s endless and quite frankly overwhelming.
Is it the same full-court-press for other genres too? Does any of that stuff really make a difference or is it just swimming up stream?

Thoughts?

~Paige 

Offline Shannon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Promotion
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 05:57:07 PM »
I try not to speak on Jim's behalf too much since I know people would rather hear it from Himself, but he's so busy right now I thought I'd cover this one.

Jim doesn't do a bunch of promotion for his work.  He usually has some kind of give-away for people and of course, there's the fabulous website Fred designed.  He goes to conventions and talks to people online, but other than that, there's not really too much.  He's a strong believer that if you write a good book and put your energy into that, eventually word of mouth will do the promotion for you.  Seems to be working pretty well for him.  :)

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 01:10:12 PM »
Hi, Shannon!!  ;D
I'm just as happy to hear from you as Jim. The information was what I was after.

I didn't really picture Jim as the postcard and bookmark kinda author. I personally have never bought a book because of some promotional item. I found Jim through word of mouth, just like I found Kelly Armstrong, Kim Harrision, LKH, Anne Rice, etc... In fact I've never seen a promotional item from any of those authors except for the occasional ad, which I only noticed after I started reading them.

You're a new romance author...are you feeling the pressure to go promotion crazy? The market feels so much more flooded with romance than the other genres, maybe that's why it's different for us.
I do like the...write it well and they will read...mentality. I'm just not sure I have enough of that kind of steely mentality. ~L~
Thanks for the info!!
~Paige

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 02:25:33 PM »
I've bought exactly one book because of that kind of promotion...because, honestly, after you meet Selina Rosen, it's kinda impossible not to be curious about her prose.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Shannon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 11:49:01 PM »

You're a new romance author...are you feeling the pressure to go promotion crazy?

I'm going to get some bookmarks printed up as long as I like the cover art, but I'm probably not going to be big on the promo-stuff either.  I know that a lot of romance authors do work hard on self-promotion and if that makes them happy, then that's great, but I don't think it's for me.  I could always change my mind because it's my right as a woman, but that's how I feel about it right now.

Feel free to ask me about this again when the first book comes out in Feb.  I might see things differently then.  ;D

Offline dawnsister

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 12:40:25 PM »
There's a website called The Publishing Contrarian
Lynne's  website is humourous and pretty down to earh.  I thought you might find some of it interesting.

She recently had a topic on:
How Low Should You Sink to Shamelessly Market Your Book? Is Author Jeff Pearlman a Prostitute?

It should be just down the first page alittle.

http://www.thepublishingcontrarian.com/

Here's her bio:
Lynne W. Scanlon has written three nonfiction books with total sales exceeding 600,000 copies. She has been on radio and TV throughout the United States while on national tour promoting her books. She has been interviewed in Newsweek and profiled on CNN. She was a group publisher of developmental product at A/S/M Communications (publishers of AdWeek magazine) and a consultant in marketing and special sales to Barnes & Noble Books. In the August 29th, 2005 issue of Publishers Weekly, she wrote a “Soapbox” column titled “Slaves to the Galley.”

Offline weever

• Participant
  • Innocent Bystander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 02:01:59 AM »
Personally, I have yet to buy a book based on any promotional material.  The closest I've ever come was to buy a book that was an "Employee Pick".  My sister-in-law lent me Storm Front and was forever hooked.
Word of mouth sells better to me than a free book mark.  Subsequently, if I like the book, I'll in turn suggest it to at least eight to ten other people.

Offline blue moon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 08:52:47 PM »
I'm torn about this.  I can't say that I've ever bought anything because of a book mark, but I think it would be worth it to have those kind of materials at a conference.  If I met an author or heard about an interesting sounding book, something that I could drop in my bag and jog my memory could be the difference between a sale now and a sale in 6 months when I stumble across the book again.

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
I'm torn about this.  I can't say that I've ever bought anything because of a book mark, but I think it would be worth it to have those kind of materials at a conference.  If I met an author or heard about an interesting sounding book, something that I could drop in my bag and jog my memory could be the difference between a sale now and a sale in 6 months when I stumble across the book again.

See, I have no self-control when it comes to books...I can admit it. If I read a blurb, hear someone gushing, or read an ad, or excerpt that intrigues me about a book...I go buy the book. (Dresden files are a perfect example) No waiting six months. Ack! I'd go insane. I just don't have that kind of patience.  :-\

But I know what you mean about having something to help keep the title straight and the spelling of the author’s name right. Too many times I’ve stared in the eyes of a bored bookstore employee going...
   “Oh, you know the book I mean...It’s got this really cool cover—blue—I think, with this silhouette of a...thing and...it’s called, The Dark....something and....and....and...never mind.”  :'(

Yeah, a bookmark might’ve helped.
~Paige  :P

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 07:01:36 AM »
I guess there are a lot of different kinds of promotional material out there, and it sort of depends on which you're dealing with.  I agree about the usefulness of bookmarks; they're good little ads and reminders.  But I've seen some new authors go to extremes to have contests for their stuff and give away all sorts of odd things.  None of that means much to me if I haven't read the book yet or know anything about them.  The best 'swag' I ever get is from authors I already love--like Sherrilyn Kenyon buttons and Kim Harrison charms.  The irony is, they didn't need any of that to get me to keep reading!
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 02:13:03 PM »
The only kind of promo material which I think is really helpful is something which will lead you to other works by a certain author. For example, our fan club is producing bookmarks that have a list of the other series our author has written on the back. Many folks are not aware of these books since they were not as popular as her current bestselling series, but they are really worth a look. Many of the fans who have read her newest books are now enjoying her older ones.

P.S. I really love the Dresden buttons. :)
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline resurrectedwarrior

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:58:20 PM »
*does first post dance*

This is an interesting topic--one that I've wondered about a lot since I started researching publishing. (No. I'm not published. I am a writer, though.) I've read a lot of stuff that says you've gotta promote, promote, promote to make yourself stand out from the pack. It's nice to know that's not always the case.

Does any of that stuff really make a difference or is it just swimming up stream?

I would check out J. A. Konrath's blog. http://jakonrath.blogspot.com Mr. Konrath is a thriller author and VERY into promotion. In fact, he's currently on a road trip doing "drive-by signings" with a goal of visitting 500 bookstores. In one of his more recent posts, he says something like "this is the single most effective thing I've done for my career." Then he goes into all the booksellers he's met and how helpful that will be in selling his books and yadda yadda.

Of course, what he's doing is a bit different from what you were originally talking about. The only promotional item he has are little autographed coaster thingies. No bookmarks. I don't know about amazon pages and email loops or anything like that. But . . . Mr. Konrath has a different perspective on promotion that's worth investigating. And, if nothing else, it's fun to read about the nasty hotels he stays in!  ;D

*waves, does dance again, and trottles off*

Offline blue moon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 03:07:39 AM »
The subject of J.A. Konrath came up on another writer's forum today.  He was quoted as saying that he spends 80% of his time promoting and 20% writing.  While promotion is important, that seems a bit excessive.  All that promotion comes to nothing if you don't have a next book to put out.  And the only way to publish another book is to write another book.

Offline resurrectedwarrior

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 08:26:24 PM »
The subject of J.A. Konrath came up on another writer's forum today.  He was quoted as saying that he spends 80% of his time promoting and 20% writing.  While promotion is important, that seems a bit excessive.

80% promoting?  :o I hadn't heard that before. Uh. Yeah. That's a lot.

I think I'd die if I played the part of a salesperson /that/ much!!

All that promotion comes to nothing if you don't have a next book to put out.  And the only way to publish another book is to write another book.

True, very true. Unless you get your genius gerbil to write it for you. I tried that with my kitten once. Doesn't work very well. : o )

Offline Cathy Clamp

• Participant
  • Dances with Segues
    • View Profile
    • C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp Official Website
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 12:19:42 AM »
Quote from: Shannon
Feel free to ask me about this again when the first book comes out in Feb.  I might see things differently then.   

Yell if you do.  I'm the queen of promotion because I write CROSS-GENRE books--paranormal romance. That's a hard thing because while the publisher is pushing in one direction (romance), quite often our readers are in a different section of the store (fantasy--probably buying Jim's books! LOL! :D )
Smiles!
Cathy Clamp
Touch of Evil, USA Today bestseller
Magic's Design, now available everywhere
COLD MOON RISING, coming soon, 8/09. Preorder today!
visit our website to read sample chapters--http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com