Author Topic: A question concerning Were-Spiders  (Read 1787 times)

Offline [BoP]Phoenix

• Participant
  • Blood and bloody ashes!
    • View Profile
A question concerning Were-Spiders
« on: August 09, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »
So, I am in the process of starting up a game and creating characters. The game will be set in Seattle and will start at 7 Refresh, with the first few milestones happening rather fast, to get them up to the submerged level. Sort of an extended Intro.

So far we have:
A Wizards Apprentice
A True Believer aka Gospel Reverend
A Vanilla Mortal aka Hispanic Street Cop
A Sorcerer/Theoretical Physicist

Now the last player is interested in something combat savvy, and he originally wanted to go True Believer (His "concept" was a guy who stayed at home, praying untill somebody told him to kill something, then return to praying. Guess what I told him <.<) Anyway, he now wants to play a were-being. I suggested Wolf or something along the lines to him, but he wants to play a Were-Spider, specifically a "giant" Were-spider. Meaning a scaled up version.

Now I am not exactly sure if this is possible in the DV. Any thoughts, comments, ideas?

This is how I would stat the Powers so far:

[-1] Beast Form
[-3] Claws, Venom
[+1] Human Form, no powers in Human Form
[-2] Inhuman Speed
______
[-5] Refresh

Now I am still unsure on how to factor a big huge fricking Spider into that system xD

cheers
Phoenix

Total war is here
Face it without fear
Age of sword, age of spear
Fight for honor, glory, death in fire!

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
Re: A question concerning Were-Spiders
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:11:09 AM »
What is up with people and Seattle? Even I play in a Seattle game, that has to be a dozen different Seattle games I've seen mentioned.  :P

Anyway, I'd seriously consider Spider Walk YS165 and Echoes of the Beast YS163 (which is still accessible outside of the form).

[-1] Echoes of the Beast
[+1] Human Form; effecting:
~[-1] Beast Change
~[-3] Claws, Venom
~[-2] Inhuman Speed
~[-1] Spider Walk

Maybe Cloak of Shadows YS169, some spiders are nocturnal and would have good synergy with Inhuman Speed.

I'd also consider not linking a power or two to Human Form (Inhuman Speed and Cloak of Shadows might be appropriate to have unlinked).

And if the spider is super large, I'd maybe call it pig sized rather than human sized. Not warranting Diminutive Size, but more reasonable.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:14:22 AM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline [BoP]Phoenix

• Participant
  • Blood and bloody ashes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:50:39 AM »
I mainly choose Seattle because of the strong Atheist vibes in the City, I am working this into a City wide aspect of "THEE OF LITTLE FAITH", where Black & Red Court are actively trying to undermine the power of the Church.
Also I already know the city pretty well from playing Shadowrun, eventhough there aren't any radioactive barren wastelands nowadays xD

Your skill setup looks pretty nifty, but I am going to leave Spider Walk out for now, and use it as a plot-learning hook.

The first few Adventures will be pretty buffy-esque in feeling. All of them at the beginning of their journey, still learning the ropes. Dealing with just as many mundane problems. It will be fun *laughs like a madman*
Total war is here
Face it without fear
Age of sword, age of spear
Fight for honor, glory, death in fire!

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 08:59:53 PM »
What is up with people and Seattle? Even I play in a Seattle game, that has to be a dozen different Seattle games I've seen mentioned.  :P

Anyway, I'd seriously consider Spider Walk YS165 and Echoes of the Beast YS163 (which is still accessible outside of the form).

[-1] Echoes of the Beast
[+1] Human Form; effecting:
~[-1] Beast Change
~[-3] Claws, Venom
~[-2] Inhuman Speed
~[-1] Spider Walk

Maybe Cloak of Shadows YS169, some spiders are nocturnal and would have good synergy with Inhuman Speed.

I'd also consider not linking a power or two to Human Form (Inhuman Speed and Cloak of Shadows might be appropriate to have unlinked).

And if the spider is super large, I'd maybe call it pig sized rather than human sized. Not warranting Diminutive Size, but more reasonable.

Well I was thinking why not consider [–1] Blood Drinker (YS pgs 188-189) because of their liquid feeding habits might be something to add some spice in this design considering you are talking about a Were-arachnid. Spiders have a liquid diet maybe the Human side has that as well.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:53:13 PM »
I wonder if there is some way to work in his webs?  A power/stunt that lets him use his Might to grapple at range?  I am pretty new to FATE myself so I don't have any answers. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 03:36:43 PM »
That seems reasonable...

I might build such a power something like this:

Webbing [-2]: You are capable of creating webbing, or some other material that can be used to entangle and bind foes of various sorts.

Important Skills: Might,

Real Stuff: Your webbing actually exists physically, and can be used for mundane things such as rope, makeshift clothing, and other such things. Depending on where it comes from, it may dissolve into ectoplasm eventually, but it certainly lasts at least the rest of the day.

Entangling: Your webbing can be used to entangle foes at up to one Zone's distance, using the normal Grappling or Maneuver rules and your Might skill. You recieve +1 to Grapple while using this effect, cumulative with any other bonuses you recieve to such.

Spinning The Web: You may also leave webs behind you, effectively 'trapping' a particular Zone. These traps will attempt to impose a Block on all actions on anyone entering the Zone, they do this with your Might score and any bonuses you recieve to Grapples, but are not technically grappling for rules purposes. These webs do not effect you, but do effect anyone else entering the zone, including friends and allies. Constructing a Web of this nature is a full action in combat, and may only be done while you are alone in the Zone in question. There is no limit to the number of Zones you can trap...but the webbing doesn't last forever, either becoming weakened or dissolving to ectoplasm within a day at most.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »
Also consider something like a venom type breath weapon
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...