Author Topic: Book Bindings  (Read 2128 times)

Tbora

Book Bindings
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:54:22 PM »
The back of my book is starting to come loose and fall apart, none of the pages have started to come out or anything yet because I have made sure to be gently with it thus far.I went to my local library and got some book tape to see if that would help, and it did for a short while but now the stuff is starting go come off too and I back where I started.

I am not sure what to do now, I bought it from a brick and mortar store and not directly from Evil Hat so I am not sure what I should do - talk to the guys at the store or should I contact Evil Hat directly.If worst comes to worst I am willing to dish out another 50 bucks if it comes down to it as this game is loads of fun though I would prefer not to.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
Re: Book Bindings
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:37:49 AM »
First suggestion: Stop throwing books at your players.  Or switch to a proxy book to throw.  (kidding... mostly.)

Check the Evil Hat site, there might be an exchange policy relating to manufacturing defects.  However, if the damage is determined to be normal wear and tear, you could be S.O.L.

Edit: You could try this url: http://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=na3rsnuepjecr8qmqcr6v14if7
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:39:44 AM by JosephKell »
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Tbora

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 12:40:06 AM »
The book sits mostly on my shelf except for the occasional times I pull it out to check a ruling when I am at a game.Mostly I use the PDF's, if it is normal wear and tear then the quality of the books is crap (which I doubt they are).

Offline DesertCoyote

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 01:03:02 AM »
I've had this problem also.

I contacted Evil Hat via their website and they asked me to get some pictures of the problem to them.  I haven't sent the pictures yet, but will do so after my group's next gaming session.  (We waited for what felt like forever to get them, I'm not in a hurry to send them back for repair/replacement if that is what their response will be).

Tbora

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 01:16:07 AM »
Amen to that - I waited patiently for them to show up at the store so I could purchase them now that I have them I REALLY don't want to lose it.I am actually thinking about using a bit of superglue on the bindings to see if that would help right now.

Offline Bernd

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:41 AM »
If it is only the headband and/or tailband (Picture) that's going loose, and not the binding itself, you can fix it with regular glue you can use for paper (the white one you can use for paper and cardboard). If it is only the headband or the tailband, the binding should be totally fine and will not break.

I had the headband and the tailband loose and used this: Uhu Bastelkleber (Sorry, i did not find a english equivalent).

It is important, that the basis of the glue is wood glue (normally just thinned with water), otherwise it's too stick and will break.

(I just found out that there are no english words for Basteln and Bastelleim / Bastelkleber. Can anyone help with that?).

BUT: If you have the feeling that the actual binding (the white rubber-like thing which has contact to the pages) is broken, you should contact Evil Hat.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:27:32 AM by Bernd »

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
Sorry, i did not find a english equivalent....... Can anyone help with that?

At least in England we have the same brand of Glue, it's just refered to as Uhu Glue.

Tbora

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:53:16 PM »
Glue is not available where I am as far as I can tell, and getting a replacement from Evil Hat is both cheaper and to me the smart move as that way I know it will not get any worse.

Offline Beastttt

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:43 AM »
Check Micheal's arts and crafts

Glue is not available where I am as far as I can tell, and getting a replacement from Evil Hat is both cheaper and to me the smart move as that way I know it will not get any worse.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 02:57:50 AM »
Just a quick note. This isn't really the inbox for the customer service desk at Evil Hat so it's not the best method to contact them over a problem with the product. Your best bet is to just start with the "Contact Us" form on their website and go from there. If you bought it at a local store you also have the option of engaging their staff instead. This is one of the services any storefront operation assumes they are providing to you when you buy from them.

I'm not an employee of Evil Hat so I can't give you any inside information on their return process but until they tell you to send them back a defective product I wouldn't assume they will. I can't honestly say that I've ever sent back a book before but sending back a defective product before getting a replacement isn't the only way returns can work. I would verify with Evil Hat or your brick and mortar store that they want to go that route before you assume that. A local store especially may be convinced to just order another copy and swap it out for yours when it arrives.