Author Topic: Possible Trapping for Echoes of the Beast?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Possible Trapping for Echoes of the Beast?
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
So I'm building a fox changeling and I took Enhanced Sense of Smell for Echoes of the Beast.  Then I realized that that would be included under Beast Senses already, so I want to come up with a new Trapping.

My idea has to do with the ability of foxes to be tricksy when chased and lead their pursuers in circles or into traps an such.  What if I allow the character to sacrifice a Sprint action (only moving one zone as a supplemental action) in order to place a Manuever on pursuers.  It would require a successful Athletics, or Deceit, or Stealth roll.

Does that seem too much like a Stunt?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:41:58 PM by Ophidimancer »

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Trapping for Echoes of the Beast?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »
well, the FATE system doesn't REALLY have different types of actions like, say, DnD does (with the exception of the supplemental action, but you don't get those for free)

It would make more sense to say  if you DO use your action to get set up a maneuver based on Athletics, or Deceit, or Stealth, then you don't suffer the usual -1 to your roll for moving a zone in the same turn.

I know you can move one zone as a supplemental action, but I'm pretty sure sprinting takes up your whole turn.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »
Doh!  You're right, I just suggested adding in a Trapping for something you can already do, huh?  If I take your suggestion and remove the -1 penalty for moving a zone while performing and action, would you allow that to stack with the Casual Movement power of Inhuman Speed and let the character move two zones while performing such a Manuever?

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:36:50 PM »
My Lycanthrope (a wolf, but they're both canines/predators) has Scent Tracking added to Survival.

I then later added a stunt I called Bloodhound that did a +2 to Scent Tracking. I also recently added a stunt called Animal Instinct to let Survival use the Investigation's Examination trapping. With Great Survival, I can now effectively track via scent alone at Fantastic (+6) and examine and interpret those smells at Superb (+5) (+4 Survival with the +1 from the Beast Senses effect).
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:39:29 PM »
Doh!  You're right, I just suggested adding in a Trapping for something you can already do, huh?  If I take your suggestion and remove the -1 penalty for moving a zone while performing and action, would you allow that to stack with the Casual Movement power of Inhuman Speed and let the character move two zones while performing such a Manuever?

I would say that it does sir, I would say that it does.  This is just ONE idea though, i'm sure there are many more people out there who have better ones.

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »
Well, not quite a new trapping, but a situational bonus in line with what Echoes can give:

Wily as a Fox: +1 to Deceit when being used to Maneuver an Aspect onto a pursuer, such as Saw Me Go Left

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
Well, not quite a new trapping, but a situational bonus in line with what Echoes can give:

Wily as a Fox: +1 to Deceit when being used to Maneuver an Aspect onto a pursuer, such as Saw Me Go Left

Ooh!  I like!  Can I switch it to Athletic or Stealth instead?

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »
Well, I figured in Human Form, which is where the Beast Trapping kicks in as far as I understand, Ken's got much better Deceit than Athletics or Stealth.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 06:12:17 PM »
Nope, Echoes of the Beast and Beast Change are both modified by Human Form, which means that the powers don't work while in human form.  I needed to put 2 points of Refresh under Human Form to get the discount so I thought I may as well beef up my fox form.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:18:04 PM by Ophidimancer »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
Nope, Echoes of the Beast and Beast Change are both modified by Human Form, which means that the powers don't work while in human form.  I needed to put 2 points of Refresh under Human Form to get the discount so I thought I may as well beef up my fox form.

If this is true (which it easily could be), you're not using the standard Were-form Template, just fYI. That has you keep the Echoes of the Beast in human form.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »
And I'm not entirely certain it's fair to lump Beast Change in as a power that's only available in fox form?  That might work for a three-form setup, where you've got human (skill set 1), fox (still skill set 1), and can then if you need to shift to psycho berserker fox (skill set 2), but its use in a two form setup is a bit more questionable.  Eh.  Talk it over with your GM; it's not my call.

If you're looking for appropriately fox-only powers, may I suggest Diminutive Size, or Claws?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 07:00:28 PM »
You can't put Beast Change under human form.  It is by definition, a power that works when you are human, because its what allows you to switch forms.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 07:03:21 PM »
Oh, hmm.  That hadn't occurred to me, but I see what you mean.  I guess I'll just get rid of Echoes and just go with Beast Change by itself.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 07:21:19 PM »
You can't put Beast Change under human form.  It is by definition, a power that works when you are human, because its what allows you to switch forms.

Actually, it's merely one of two powers he's got that allow him to switch forms - the other one being Human Form itself.  You can (and I have) statted up were-creatures that just don't have Beast Change, because they didn't need the skill swap.  Which is why I listed it as questionable rather than obviously unacceptable.
(Kitsune in particular would seem a good example of the sort of shifter that can get by without Beast Change - what they can do is what they can do, and they're not going to have a lower scholarship or something just because they happen to look like a fox right now.  Of course, that is going by my mental image of a kitsune, which I already know doesn't match yours; there's nothing actually wrong with putting Beast Change on one.)

Offline Myrddhin

• Participant
  • Dangerously Creative
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
Oh, hmm.  That hadn't occurred to me, but I see what you mean.  I guess I'll just get rid of Echoes and just go with Beast Change by itself.

Actually... I might have found a way for you to keep Echoes, and the Human Form bonus, and pick up Claws for the fox form.

Item of Power (Hoshi no tama) +1
-Glamours -2

Human Form +1
-Inhuman Speed -2
-Claws -1

Then leave the rest of your powers and stunts as they are.