Author Topic: Character Idea Emissary of Power for The Erlking  (Read 3073 times)

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Character Idea Emissary of Power for The Erlking
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:29:38 AM »
the basic idea is someone who made a foolish deal with the Erlking I've been wrestling with ideas for what to use for the given item of power/ what sort of powers it should have one idea I kind of like is a katana that allows earth evocations but it feels out of place with the Erlking
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Character Idea Emissary of Power for The Erlking
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:01:56 AM »
For someone who made a foolish deal with the Erlking?  I wouldn't go item of power.  I'd go were-form - specifically, giant hunting hound of doom.  Possibly with a Demonic Co-Pilot to represent the spirit of the hunt you're now sharing your mind with.  And possibly with the "Wings" power to represent an ability to run through the air.  Ought to be fun.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:24:41 AM »
A katana that does Earth evocations is indeed out of place, but a spear or bow that does Air or Spirit Evocation? Much more appropriate. Think like a hunter, and in the Erlking's sphere of authority.

The were-form idea is also very appropriate, as are Supernatural Senses, Echoes of the Beast, and Inhuman physical stuff in general.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:30:29 AM »
A katana that does Earth evocations is indeed out of place, but a spear or bow that does Air or Spirit Evocation? Much more appropriate. Think like a hunter, and in the Erlking's sphere of authority.

The were-form idea is also very appropriate, as are Supernatural Senses, Echoes of the Beast, and Inhuman physical stuff in general.

Yepper.  I'd say make the charater basically a WC vamp (strength speed recovery)   without that pesky hunger and feeding.  Replace with demonic co-pilot
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:33:45 AM »
actually i really like the WC idea also i like the spear
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 04:48:59 AM »
eh I can see a spear, but I would put forward fire.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 04:50:48 AM »
balefire in fact. I really love the twisted were-hunting hound.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 06:01:01 AM »
Depending on character concept instead of a spear, the character might have a hunting horn instead.  And again depending on concept, the horn could have Air-themed effects

If the concept is for some sort of brawler who has been bound to the Erlking, then either the spear of were-form would be good paths.

On the other hand, if the idea is more for some sort of ranged or caster-type character, then the hunting horn idea might be a bit better.
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 06:28:22 AM »
actually i really like the WC idea also i like the spear

Hmm...

I that case I'd build the character as follows (for a Submerged game):

Marked By Power [-1]
Echoes of the Beast [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch is Cold Iron [+3]

Item of Power (Hunter's Spear) [+2]
It Is What It Is: Weapon: 3 Spear [-0]
True Strike (As the Sword of the Cross power) [-1]
Evocation (Air, Fire, Spirit) [-3] (Pick one Specialty of your choice, and two Item Slots, the Items are incorporated into the spear.)

Total: -9 Refresh.

Now, his Catch could be less severe (since he's not full Fae), but then you'll likely have to drop Inhuman Toughness. You could also switch out the Spear's current power set for Sponsored Magic if you wanted.

If the game is less than Submerged, you're gonna need to drop some stuff or take things like Feeding Dependency (maybe both).

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 06:40:03 AM »
Hmm...

I that case I'd build the character as follows (for a Submerged game):

Marked By Power [-1]
Echoes of the Beast [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch is Cold Iron [+3]

Item of Power (Hunter's Spear) [+2]
It Is What It Is: Weapon: 3 Spear [-0]
True Strike (As the Sword of the Cross power) [-1]
Evocation (Air, Fire, Spirit) [-3] (Pick one Specialty of your choice, and two Item Slots, the Items are incorporated into the spear.)

Total: -9 Refresh.

Now, his Catch could be less severe (since he's not full Fae), but then you'll likely have to drop Inhuman Toughness. You could also switch out the Spear's current power set for Sponsored Magic if you wanted.

If the game is less than Submerged, you're gonna need to drop some stuff or take things like Feeding Dependency (maybe both).

thats good really creative thx dude also one idea ive been toying around with is something that helps the player to cast a veil maybe something similar to susan's cloak in changes but no where near as powerful

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 08:14:40 AM »
thats good really creative thx dude also one idea ive been toying around with is something that helps the player to cast a veil maybe something similar to susan's cloak in changes but no where near as powerful

Well, the Spear allows Veiling with it's Evocation, and you can toss on Focus or Enchanted Items on top of that if you desire.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 09:31:38 AM »
Hey, I liked DMW's take on it mostly, however I also liked the were-form idea so I thought I'd combine the two, plus I wasn't keen on including evocation because, as flexible and powerful as it is, it also puts a large constraint on the skills required so I came up with this.

In human form you'd be marked by power, have bestial senses relating to the hunt (keen sense of smell, great night vision etc) and you'd have the ability to recover from injuries. You would also have some power over nature through breath weapon, allowing you to launch projectiles (the form is up to you, but I'd advise something hunter/nature related) as well as do manoeuvres that you might not otherwise be able to do. Because this relies on weapons, you can max that out without worrying about conviction or discipline and it doesn't cost mental stress, it's not as powerful as evocation but with your spear and strength you are far more effective in close combat anyway. This means you're quite effective even in human form.

In beast form (picture below to help you picture it) you'd gain strength, speed and toughness making you pretty lethal, plus the idea of turning into 'The Hunter' is just cool.

Finally the spear is a powerful weapon with true strike, plus with glamours you can veil yourself, disguise the nature of the spear to mortals (allowing you to carry it in public hopefully) and lay hidden hunting traps.

Skills required - Weapons, and then either Deceit or Discipline.

[-1] Marked By Power (Erlking)
[-1] Echoes of the Beast (The Hunter)
[-2] Inhuman Recovery
[-2] Breath Weapon (allows you to fire hunters arrows, porcupine spikes etc, plus nature manoeuvres like nearby branches knock them to the floor, brambles and roots wrap around their feet etc)
[+1] Human Form (You grow stag like horns, cat eyes and cloven hooves
- [-2] Inhuman Strength
- [-2] Inhuman Speed
- [-2] Inhuman Toughness
- [+3] Catch - Cold Iron
Total is -8

Item of Power:
- [+2] Hunters Spear
- It is a Weapon:3 spear, unbreakable etc
- [-1] True Strike
- [-2] Glamours
Total is -1

Total refresh cost of -9

What do you think? :)

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 10:50:16 PM »
Hey, I liked DMW's take on it mostly, however I also liked the were-form idea so I thought I'd combine the two, plus I wasn't keen on including evocation because, as flexible and powerful as it is, it also puts a large constraint on the skills required so I came up with this.

In human form you'd be marked by power, have bestial senses relating to the hunt (keen sense of smell, great night vision etc) and you'd have the ability to recover from injuries. You would also have some power over nature through breath weapon, allowing you to launch projectiles (the form is up to you, but I'd advise something hunter/nature related) as well as do manoeuvres that you might not otherwise be able to do. Because this relies on weapons, you can max that out without worrying about conviction or discipline and it doesn't cost mental stress, it's not as powerful as evocation but with your spear and strength you are far more effective in close combat anyway. This means you're quite effective even in human form.

In beast form (picture below to help you picture it) you'd gain strength, speed and toughness making you pretty lethal, plus the idea of turning into 'The Hunter' is just cool.

Finally the spear is a powerful weapon with true strike, plus with glamours you can veil yourself, disguise the nature of the spear to mortals (allowing you to carry it in public hopefully) and lay hidden hunting traps.

Skills required - Weapons, and then either Deceit or Discipline.

What do you think? :)
wow due thats actually a really good idea plus kudos for posting the pic for the form change