Author Topic: movie inspirations for DFRPG  (Read 5199 times)

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
movie inspirations for DFRPG
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:15:11 AM »
To psyche ourselves up for playing DFRPG, my players and I are watching movies that fit the genre.  We'd prefer more supernatural action than horror, and we're avoiding anime.  Anyone got any to add?  Anything that would make a great character concept, scene, or just has a "close to our world but not really" feel to it would be good.

We already will probably be watching...

Constantine
Van Helsing
the Order
the Ninth Gate

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: movie inspirations for DFRPG
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:27:16 AM »
You could add Silent Hill in there, if you're okay with one horror movie. (works as great inspiriation for a survival horror type game, but the reason i recommend is it has a pretty cool idea for a town in a very dresden-ish style.) (Supernatural horror genre)

The Covenant is also very good. It's about a group of modern day warlock cousins and an evil sorcerer trying to devour their power. I recommend this one for the magic spells (which are very evocation style in their feel). (Supernatural action genre)

I'll post more if i can think of any.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »
Hellboy
Ghostbusters
The Harry Dresden mov... I mean The Sorcerers Apprentice
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:32:04 AM »
Additionally, I like the setting flavor and "tone" of Sin City. It is a very dark place where good people are rare and even the "heroes" have some questionable methods/morals.

Even Pirates of the Caribbean could work out for something a little more whimsical. It's got a fair amount of supernatural flavor mixed with the monstrous and monstrously human.

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
Cast a Deadly Spell if you can ever find it.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 12:40:34 AM »

I nearly broke something laughing at that. Amazing pun ;D
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
I probably meant to say that horror is in, but "slasher films" are out.  I feel that the Omen and such kind of classic horror movies are pretty genre appropriate, but Jason or Saw are not.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:46:03 AM »
Jeepers Creepers might be considered a slasher, but I think it could still be useful inspiration.

Alone in the Dark is another potential movie from the horror side of things
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:59:36 AM »
Darkness Falls wouldn't be too bad.

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:10:36 AM »
Hellboy
Ghostbusters

You beat me to it luminos!  The Dresden Movie was good, I mean the Sorcerers Apprentice was good.  Okay so how about . . .

Dr. Mordrid (1992)
An unspeakable evil has come into our dimension and wants to rule over Earth, and only a mysterious sorceror known as Doctor Mordrid can stop him.

The Crow (1994)
A man brutally murdered comes back to life as an undead avenger of his and his fiancée's murder.

CrossWorlds (1997)
College good guy Joe is drawn into a battle to save the world from arch-enemy Ferris. Joe's heirloom pendant just happens to be the key to the staff that opens doors to the Crossworlds.

Fallen (1998)
Homicide detective John Hobbes (Denzel Washington) and Edgar Reese, (Elias Koteas) a serial killer proud of his crimes, talk just before the latter is going to be executed in prison. Reese is proud of all his crimes, and doesn't repent at all. Hobbes witnesses the execution of Reese. The killer gets hysterical seconds before dying, shouting it wasn't him. Hobbes starts hearing people on the street singing the same tune that Reese sang in the gas chamber.  He is then told that maybe the fallen angel Azazel is behind it all.

Sixth Sense (1999)
A boy who communicates with spirits that don't know they're dead seeks the help of a disheartened child psychologist.

Thir13en Ghosts (2001)
When Cyrus Kriticos, a very rich collector of unique things dies, he leaves it all to his nephew and his family. All including his house, his fortune, and his malicious collection of ghosts!

Night Watch: Nochnoi Dozor (2004)
Among normal humans live the "Others" possessing various supernatural powers. They are divided up into the forces of light and the forces of the dark, who signed a truce several centuries ago to end a devastating battle. Ever since, the forces of light govern the day while the night belongs to their dark opponents. In modern day Moscow the dark Others actually roam the night as vampires while a "Night Watch" of light forces, among them Anton, the movie's protagonist, try to control them and limit their outrage.

Happy watching . . . plus remember you have the Dresden Files TV show you can view.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:30:50 AM »
Happy watching . . . plus remember you have the Dresden Files TV show you can view.

In fact, you can see the Dresden Files TV show for free right here: http://www.youtube.com/show?p=5hzUn3T5K6A
(and without feeling any guilt, because its the official channel for the studio that produced it)
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:43:23 AM »
In fact, you can see the Dresden Files TV show for free right here: http://www.youtube.com/show?p=5hzUn3T5K6A
(and without feeling any guilt, because its the official channel for the studio that produced it)

Now if they could just release the two hour "Storm Front" movie/episode.  Guess I will have to be happy with my bootleg recorded from the Canadian Sci-Fi channel.

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 04:07:01 AM »
I would recommend "30 Days of Night" as a very cool and creepy movie. The mostly-real feel to the movie gives it a lot greater fear quotient than recent vampire movies which won't be named for fear of invoking their sparkly-ness.
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 05:32:34 AM »
Here are some of the movies I went to (that haven't already been mentioned) for some inspiration for DFRPG scenarios

Hocus Pocus
Dagon
Practical Magic
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Brothers Grimm
The Prophecy
The Haunting
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 06:20:17 AM »
Angel Heart
Rough Magic