Author Topic: Attitude Adjustment  (Read 3691 times)

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
Attitude Adjustment
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:58:50 AM »
A focused practitioner (Channeling: Kinetic and Ritual: Crafting) has Lore 5 and  Crafting Focus Items for +1 Frequency and Power.  He took a Weapon 3 sword and enchanted it to add 5 power to the sword's rating  twice per session and is usable by others who are told how, with the agreement that he cannot go over 2 uses or it will shatter the sword, and that killing a mortal with it is a clear violation of the First Law.  We are playing at 15 refresh.  Thoughts?

Also he named the thing Attitude Adjustment...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Attitude Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:23:16 AM »
Enchanted items can replace a mundane Weapon rating, but not add to it. Look at the Warden's Swords as an example.

That said, for a 15 Refresh game, the item's small potatoes, so I wouldn't worry too much even if you do add it.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 02:09:39 PM »
A focused practitioner (Channeling: Kinetic and Ritual: Crafting) has Lore 5 and  Crafting Focus Items for +1 Frequency and Power.  He took a Weapon 3 sword and enchanted it to add 5 power to the sword's rating  twice per session and is usable by others who are told how, with the agreement that he cannot go over 2 uses or it will shatter the sword, and that killing a mortal with it is a clear violation of the First Law.  We are playing at 15 refresh.  Thoughts?

Also he named the thing Attitude Adjustment...

How does it kill them? If it is just a sword (albeit an extremely sharp one), then you don't have to worry about the First Law. It'd be like a Warden's Sword. Or does it shoot lightning or something when it hits the target?
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
I'd say that killing with the basic weapon:3 wouldn't break the laws of magic

Killing when using it as an enchanted item would break the first law, but how does the enchantment work? Is it 5 shifts plus Lore plus the focus? Or by '5 power' are you referring to just the Lore value? With 1 enchanted item slot he could make the sword count as weapon:6 automatically, then you could add up to 4 more enchanted item slots to make it a maximum of weapon:10.

Assuming that it is weapon:7 (2 enchanted item slots is a common number for an item) with a default of two uses due to the focus item, it could attack at more than one zone away as MijRai quite rightly points out; so I'd suggest including 'Attitude Adjustment' in to one of his aspects in some way and then whenever he'd benefit from it being a ranged weapon, or if he's run out of uses and he needs it, he can gain fate points for self-compels as he is limiting himself. Then if he ever does decide to use it a 3rd time in a session he can pay one mental stress to activate it, then you can give him a fate point as the sword blows up and you can allow the attack or not; whichever is more fun :) In fact he could pay a fate point to declare that his 3rd use of it makes it explode, dealing that amount of damage to everything in the zone :)

Oh, allowing others to use it costs a shift of power, he'd either need to reduce the power of the item or use another enchanted item slot.

ps. If you've house-ruled that you can use shifts of power to add to a weapons value then you can ignore most of what I've said apart from including the sword as an aspect for the shatter effect.

Offline DesertCoyote

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »
By the way, I still want a throwing hat for our game.  I took the liberty of statting it up.

Oddjob's Hat
Range: 1
Weapon: 4
Special: Returns like a boomerang, once per session can be used as weapon 27. :)

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »
Weapon 27?!  Surely, that's either a typo, referencing something else, or it is the god of all thrown hats!

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »
Oddjob was a James Bond villain that had a top hat that when thrown at someone, could instantly kill them.  The weapon 27 is probably a joke to represent that fact.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »
I think I remember that dude.  That was in Goldfinger, wasn't it?  Loved that Aston Martin...although it owes me many quarters that were spent on Spy Hunter...

Thanks for explaining it!  Feel kinda dumb for not remembering it, myself...

Offline DesertCoyote

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 12:39:09 AM »
Oddjob was a James Bond villain that had a top hat bowler hat that when thrown at someone, could instantly kill them.  The weapon 27 is probably a joke to represent that fact.

Top hats are cylinder shaped, bowler hats are domed. :p   */nitpick*

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 01:04:02 AM »
I think we just compelled an aspect of DesertCoyote's...  Internet Nitpicker... Or maybe Trivial Police!   ;)

Still...I think it's a worthy enchanted item...give it to a group of men so they can sing 80s music...

Oh wait...that was Men -Without- Hats...

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 01:09:59 AM »
Crazy, everyone knows a top hat isn't aerodynamic enough to be a weapon! French beret's and flat caps can fly but are too floppy to have a weapon value, peak caps aren't symmetrical and straw boaters don't have the weight behind them to deal damage. The bowler hat is truly the pinnacle in hat-based warfare.

Doc Nova, are you referring to those five famous Items of Power that can be found with the people in the village? Each item is rumoured to have mystical powers, all relating in some way to one of the five elements.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 01:14:45 AM »
And what about Sombreros?  Or Stetsons? How does a fez cap fit into your analysis  :D
Lawful Chaotic

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 01:32:37 AM »
A well-crafted sombrero could take your head off if thrown with enough force, but it's size leaves it hard to control and when you're wielding a hat, precision is vital. A stetson could be used depending on the style, but it has a tendency to wobble mid-flight leading to a shocking percentage of failed attacks - a serious danger to a professional hat-man.

A fez? Are you serious? It'd be a total hatastrophe!

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 01:33:36 AM »
I think we just compelled an aspect of DesertCoyote's...  Internet Nitpicker... Or maybe Trivial Police!   ;)

Still...I think it's a worthy enchanted item...give it to a group of men so they can sing 80s music...

Oh wait...that was Men -Without- Hats...

It's Trivial Police, believe me.

By the way, I still want a throwing hat for our game.  I took the liberty of statting it up.

Oddjob's Hat
Range: 1
Weapon: 4
Special: Returns like a boomerang, once per session can be used as weapon 27. :)

No.

I'd say that killing with the basic weapon:3 wouldn't break the laws of magic

Killing when using it as an enchanted item would break the first law, but how does the enchantment work? Is it 5 shifts plus Lore plus the focus? Or by '5 power' are you referring to just the Lore value? With 1 enchanted item slot he could make the sword count as weapon:6 automatically, then you could add up to 4 more enchanted item slots to make it a maximum of weapon:10.

Assuming that it is weapon:7 (2 enchanted item slots is a common number for an item) with a default of two uses due to the focus item, it could attack at more than one zone away as MijRai quite rightly points out; so I'd suggest including 'Attitude Adjustment' in to one of his aspects in some way and then whenever he'd benefit from it being a ranged weapon, or if he's run out of uses and he needs it, he can gain fate points for self-compels as he is limiting himself. Then if he ever does decide to use it a 3rd time in a session he can pay one mental stress to activate it, then you can give him a fate point as the sword blows up and you can allow the attack or not; whichever is more fun :) In fact he could pay a fate point to declare that his 3rd use of it makes it explode, dealing that amount of damage to everything in the zone :)

Oh, allowing others to use it costs a shift of power, he'd either need to reduce the power of the item or use another enchanted item slot.

ps. If you've house-ruled that you can use shifts of power to add to a weapons value then you can ignore most of what I've said apart from including the sword as an aspect for the shatter effect.

The way it works is either it turns any remaining "potential energy"  in the blade and turning it into "kinetic energy", or it surrounds the blade with an aura of kinetic  energy.  Any thoughts on this?

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 01:35:40 AM »
A well-crafted sombrero could take your head off if thrown with enough force, but it's size leaves it hard to control and when you're wielding a hat, precision is vital. A stetson could be used depending on the style, but it has a tendency to wobble mid-flight leading to a shocking percentage of failed attacks - a serious danger to a professional hat-man.

A fez? Are you serious? It'd be a total hatastrophe!

He is playing a werewolf in this game last I checked.  Sombrero on wolf= NO.  I am pretty sure.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:38:22 AM by cetra02 »