Author Topic: The Lightsaber Spell.. :o ::)  (Read 12832 times)

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Lightsaber Spell.. :o ::)
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:30:56 AM »
Get your attention? No seriously, help me out here...

Can you do it in this game? Can you make a bar of fire to smite people with? Cuz that's a heck of a game changer.

"I choose swords for the duel."
"Alright." Fwoosh!
"I retract that."

But seriously. Possible? Practical? How?

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
Re: The Lightsaber Spell.. :o ::)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 02:34:38 AM »
Wouldn't that just be an attack without range and with shifts put towards duration?  Describe it as fire encompassing your hands or a blazing blade of sunlight...in the end it's a damaging attack that you would want to maintain, correct?  Or am I missing something from your question?

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:44:14 AM »
Maybe. Probably. I do have a hard time not over complicating this system. But do you get something for making it non-ranged? Does that make it harder? Does it make tough to tether it to your hand?

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 02:44:49 AM »
This is an example in YS.  The conclusion is put an aspect on a real sword and tag.  Making a sword out of pure will is not an optimal use of your power.

The reason is because this is fate and everything is just shifts of power.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 02:53:39 AM »
Well I'm not making a sword so much as a bar of heat. Would it need a "hilt" focus item to come out of? To be tethered to?

And I disagree with their assessment that it's better to have a real sword. They're illegal to carry, hard to conceal and sometimes your bad guys don't let you keep your goodies.

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 02:59:49 AM »
You don't get any discount for making it not ranged, although it would change the skill that defends against it.  If you were wanting to create an honest-to-goodness sword, then John is correct, it's a lot of will, focus, and bother for something you could just carry.

That said, though, I could see many situations where lugging a sword is impractical or simply out of the question, and thought the very same thing when I read the section on summoning a sword in the first place.

Now, if you wanted to house rule something that gave more oomph to a close-combat spell, beyond what skills would reasonably defend against it, then you could make it a more traditional melee weapon attack and allow any Inhuman (or better) Strength bonuses you might have ("naturally" or via spell or item) add to it.  Continuing with this, I could also see some argument for allowing certain stunts, as normally applicable to hand-to-hand implements being allowed to work with your "lightsaber", but that would be the group's call, not something already present in-game.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:42:14 AM »
Well I'm not making a sword so much as a bar of heat. Would it need a "hilt" focus item to come out of? To be tethered to?

And I disagree with their assessment that it's better to have a real sword. They're illegal to carry, hard to conceal and sometimes your bad guys don't let you keep your goodies.

Maybe in your mind.  Mechanically in this game though, what I said is true.  If you don't like that, you have 3 options.
1. Make it an enchanted item.
2. Model a lightsaber power after "claws" or "breath weapon" and make it an IoP
3. House rule in benefits for melee evocation over ranged and lasting effects over single exchange casting.

I'd recommend 1.  Statting an IoP takes effort.  Enchanted items are easy.  Make it Weapon 4 and claim its uses are limited because it runs out of charge (which is essentially true anyway for enchanted items.

Id also read YS more carefully.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:49:37 AM by John Galt »

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 04:13:10 AM »
What I'm after is less a magic sword and more of flame spell to hit people in the head with, and cut things with.

I'm literally trying to make a lightsaber spell because I am a nerd and mine or other characters might want it. Also I thought it was interesting. Because I don't want magic in the form of a sword. I want to hit you with fire in the face. I don't want a "blade" so much as burning thing of smacking.

Because I thought about it, and i don't know how you'd "tether" it to a spot...I can see how magic sword is one way to do it, but that's making a sword, when I want the burning to go with it.

Offline Stormraven

• Conversationalist
  • Heading for Left Field at Warp 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 04:23:09 AM »
Just make an attack spell, add in duration, and define it as 'Flame Sword', with the inherent limitation that it's melee range only.

I don't see how it's really any more complex than that.
I will choose a path that's clear; I will choose Freewill.

The Sorceress Sleuth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGUR81W

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 04:28:33 AM »
For your convenience:

Jedi Knight:

Powers:
[-2] channeling(spirit)
[-2] ritual (psychomancy)
[-3] refinement

Skills
Superb: discipline
Great: lore, weapons
Good: conviction , athletics, endurance
Fair: might,  rapport,  presence
Average: intimidation, stealth, empathy

Rotes:
Force Push: weapon 3, 1 zone
Impale: applies the aspect "propelled by force pull"
Force Repel: Block 4 or Armor 2
Force Speed: applies aspect "force reflexes" to self

Enchanted items:
Lightsaber: weapon 4, 21 uses
Jedi Robe: block 8 or armor 4, 15 uses

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 04:38:04 AM »
Read YS.  Your just asking how to attack with magic, which is as basic as it gets.  Decide what weapon rating you want and roll conviction and discipline to generate power and control.

Logically a lightsaber or flame sword would act as weapon 4.  So you roll fudge dice + conviction bonus.  Every point below 4 gives you one extra mental stress.  If you roll 4 or above you take one mental stress.  Roll again + discipline to control the spell.  Every point below four is a point of fallout your GM can allocate.   Roll 4 or higher, you controlled it.

But again, it doesn't sound like you've read YS yet so I'd do That before asking these questions.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 04:44:04 AM »
Easy killer. I have. I got it right here nicely bound and smelling all nice and new booky, and on my lappy as a PDF. Had it for a while. It's the flame spell bound to my hand, part. Sure I'm over complicating it a bit but who hasn't been guilty of that on these boards, it's a fairly common problem/response for people new to the system. I just was floating it as an idea. Because it's fire that STOPS and moves with my HAND. That seems a bit more complex to me. Does it not to you? Sure I could reduce it down to as simple as shifts of damage in the attack, but should there or should there not be extra shifts involved in discipline, say, for such CONTROL of such heat? Would THAT not be a reasonable question? 

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 04:47:38 AM »
Oh and your Jedi Knight write up is neat. Very KOTOR. Hmm...interesting thought for GMPC/NPC

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 06:19:24 AM »
Easy killer. I have. I got it right here nicely bound and smelling all nice and new booky, and on my lappy as a PDF. Had it for a while. It's the flame spell bound to my hand, part. Sure I'm over complicating it a bit but who hasn't been guilty of that on these boards, it's a fairly common problem/response for people new to the system. I just was floating it as an idea. Because it's fire that STOPS and moves with my HAND. That seems a bit more complex to me. Does it not to you? Sure I could reduce it down to as simple as shifts of damage in the attack, but should there or should there not be extra shifts involved in discipline, say, for such CONTROL of such heat? Would THAT not be a reasonable question?  

The whole thing is a reasonable question.  The most basic answer is:  Nope.  By the rules, there really is nothing more than is needed than writing down a spell name, assigning shifts to it, hitting those shifts with your required roll, and you're done.  Nearly everything else is narrative fun and flavor and your justifications for it.  There are a few exceptions to this (like turning it into a zone or spray effect, for example, to "Force push" multiple battle droids...er Red Court vampires...and what element you wanted to tie it to for what effects), but by-and-large, the by the book response is what John was saying.

Now, reading what you're wanting, however, what I am seeing is that you are not only asking if there is more, but are in fact wanting more.  At least that is the impression I am getting.

If that is the case, you're going to have to house rule it...which is really the butter atop the FATE bread.  The game is meant to be house ruled, in fact it begs for it in the form of aspects, and how they interact with your game.

The house ruling could be as simple as just saying "this spell "tethers" to my hand and I call it a lightsaber!"  Or it can get far more complex.  You could, as John also pointed out, stat it via an Item of Power.  You could link it with an aspect inherent to the character ("My Father's lightsaber").  You could stat it as a spell with all sorts of exceptions and unique rules (like getting to use the Weapons skill rather than Discipline for targeting -- which would mean three skills interacting with the spell:  Conviction, Discipline, and Weapons; although you could keep it at two if Discipline is modified by Weapons, which would likely be much simpler).  

In the end, I think what you really need to be asking at this point is:  How are you wanting to see it in your game?  By the rules, or more accurate and "faithful" to the source?  If it is by the rules, then you need to stop trying to fit the minute details in (like tethering to your hand or "controlling" the heat...that's all part of the spell's controlling roll and subsequent narrative description).  If it is more faitherful to the source, then you need to determine just how "accurate" you are wanting to get.  Just how potent would a "lightsaber" need to be to cut through steel?  (That can, in part, be answered by taking a look at the "Breaking Through Things" application of Might, by the way.)  I would also recommend, that if you are going the route of "faithful to the source" the item be done as an Item of Power.  That seems to be the most likely candidate to create an actual lightsaber, although it would no longer be a spell, at that point, and rather an actual item...

And of course, none of this addresses its ability to deflect/redirect "blaster" bolts...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:24:41 AM by Doc Nova »

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 06:52:04 AM »
sometimes in a fight against fire susceptible enemies - or against animals as they are often afraid of fire, my wizard uses a spell that sheathes his staff in fire, which he then uses as melee weapon.