Author Topic: Enchanted items  (Read 2806 times)

Offline dlw32

• Participant
    • View Profile
Enchanted items
« on: July 28, 2010, 03:03:03 AM »
Just a newbie verifying how enchanted items work. For simplicity, let's just say my caster duplicates Harry's duster. So the first enchanted item slot goes to create armor:2 (my Lore is 4) and it has one use. Then we burn a second item slot to get two more uses for a total of three.

So round 1, i get attacked. If I get hit I can instantly invoke the coat to gain armor:2. Does it last all round? If I get attacked a second time before my turn is it still up?

If it doesn't last can I invoke it a second time?

It doesn't need a check since it's just armor. If it had been an attack it would need a Discipline.
[size=8]I'd also like to see Harry beat the snot out of Edward Cullen... stalker-vampires, really? That's romantic? I'm getting old.[/size]

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanted items
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 03:11:46 AM »
Just a newbie verifying how enchanted items work. For simplicity, let's just say my caster duplicates Harry's duster. So the first enchanted item slot goes to create armor:2 (my Lore is 4) and it has one use. Then we burn a second item slot to get two more uses for a total of three.

That all works, though (like a Spell) you can choose on any individual activation whether it's a Block or Armor.

So round 1, i get attacked. If I get hit I can instantly invoke the coat to gain armor:2. Does it last all round? If I get attacked a second time before my turn is it still up?

It lasts the entire round, though if you used it as a Block instead, you'd need to (and could) reactivate it if it gerts beaten, costing another use.

If it doesn't last can I invoke it a second time?

You can actually activate it as many times a round as you like (since as a defensive item it requires no action), including once each for Block and Armor, though Armor from it doesn't stack with itself, nor do Blocks stack with each other (though as stated one each of a Block and Armor do stack).

It doesn't need a check since it's just armor. If it had been an attack it would need a Discipline.

Correct.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:20:03 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline dlw32

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
It lasts the entire round, though if you used it as a Block instead, you'd need to (and could) reactivate it if it gerts beaten, costing another use.
Let me just see if I got that. If I wanted to, I could activate it twice against the same attack and get block:4 and armor:2? Or could I activate it three times and get armor:6?

Let's move closer to what I actually want now. This caster has Thaumaturgy with focus on Biomancy. If the duster were, say, a ring instead and it actually enhanced his skin (maybe making it leathery like a reptile) the costs would all be the same, right?  It's still Lore-based, it still can be given 2 extra castings, still lasts 1 round, etc.
[size=8]I'd also like to see Harry beat the snot out of Edward Cullen... stalker-vampires, really? That's romantic? I'm getting old.[/size]

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »
Let me just see if I got that. If I wanted to, I could activate it twice against the same attack and get block:4 and armor:2?

Yes, this would work.

Or could I activate it three times and get armor:6?

This would NOT work. Armor can't stack with itself (nor can Blocks stack with themselves), you can use one of each on any specific attack, but no more.

Let's move closer to what I actually want now. This caster has Thaumaturgy with focus on Biomancy. If the duster were, say, a ring instead and it actually enhanced his skin (maybe making it leathery like a reptile) the costs would all be the same, right?  It's still Lore-based, it still can be given 2 extra castings, still lasts 1 round, etc.

Yes, that'd work fine. Though at Armor: 2 you're talking as effective as a Plate Mail/Kevlar combo...so more like full on sub-dermal bone armor or some such. But it works fine mechanically.

Offline greycouncilmember

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »
If you were to add a thaumaturgy spell effect under your lore to an enchanted item, would that become an instant cast spell for however many uses you give it it?

Offline dlw32

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »
If you were to add a thaumaturgy spell effect under your lore to an enchanted item, would that become an instant cast spell for however many uses you give it it?
That was my next question... I think so.

Bonus questions: At what point do you declare you're activating the item? Can I wait for the GM to roll the hit and decide I want to suddenly block it? Can I wait for the assessment of damage and then retcon in an Armor:2? Or do I declare before?

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 07:15:53 PM »
That was my next question... I think so.

Bonus questions: At what point do you declare you're activating the item? Can I wait for the GM to roll the hit and decide I want to suddenly block it? Can I wait for the assessment of damage and then retcon in an Armor:2? Or do I declare before?
I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to have an idea of the target number which would mean that if it's greater than your block you should be able to just say it's armor. 

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »

Absolutely not.

Some actions may naturally be supplemental actions (such as movement, some forms of shapeshifing, etc.) or free actions (maybe talking via magical cell phone or something), but you definitely can't get a maneuver or an attack off as even a supplemental action.

You'd do it after, I believe.  At least, I seem to remember something about being able to use a defensive item's block to cover over a bad defense roll, and it wouldn't make sense to apply the armor value before you even know if you're getting hit.  Since the uses limit on the item is how often it's important to the narrative, I'd tend to make sure that uses don't get spent if they wouldn't be worth spending.

On the other hand, I'd disagree with Deadmanwalking about activating one defensive item twice to provide both block and armor against a single attack.  Though from at least a cursory pass through the rulebook I don't see anything that would explicitly support either my or his interpretation - that's not to say that such text doesn't exist, of course, just that I can't find it.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 07:22:31 PM »
Absolutely not.

Some actions may naturally be supplemental actions (such as movement, some forms of shapeshifing, etc.) or free actions (maybe talking via magical cell phone or something), but you definitely can't get a maneuver or an attack off as even a supplemental action.

I didn't mean to imply that it was a completely free action.  What I meant is if I added a thaumaturgy spell that is under my lore to an item, would the effect render immediately like Harry's kinetic ring or would there have to be some kind of delay? I understand it would probably be considered the whole exchange.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 07:34:35 PM »
Oh!  That's a different kettle of fish entirely; I'd tend to say yes, even without needing to reduce the power of the item, though again it would depend on the effect.  For example, if you can get the power high enough, I'd let you make a potion that replicates the reiki healing spell, and applies the effect in a single action rather than requiring many minutes at a minimum.  (Of course, that's because you already spent *hours* preparing the potion... details, details.)

On the other hand, if you've got a massive 20 slot enchanted item specified as a magical portal generator that flings you through the nevernever to anywhere in the world... that might take some time to get the thing aimed in the right direction, powered up, and ready to go.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »
So how about this for a good rule of thumb...  Regardless of how much power you put into the spell if it is less than or equal to your lore then you can cast it immediately.  Any additional power you put into it above that makes it require prep time. 

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 12:52:14 PM »
Wrong Thread. Sorry.
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
So how about this for a good rule of thumb...  Regardless of how much power you put into the spell if it is less than or equal to your lore then you can cast it immediately.  Any additional power you put into it above that makes it require prep time. 

I don't think I'd use that.
Consider, as an extreme example, the warden swords.  They're a power 6 effect, and are usable with no particular preparation by a wizard with even a low lore skill.
For a slightly less extreme example, suppose your lore is two - you can spend three enchanted item slots to have a cloak that provides block:4 or armor:2 and activates as a free action when someone attacks you; this is normal rules and nothing special or unique like the warden swords.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »
I don't think I'd use that.
Consider, as an extreme example, the warden swords.  They're a power 6 effect, and are usable with no particular preparation by a wizard with even a low lore skill.
For a slightly less extreme example, suppose your lore is two - you can spend three enchanted item slots to have a cloak that provides block:4 or armor:2 and activates as a free action when someone attacks you; this is normal rules and nothing special or unique like the warden swords.

Both of those are actually more evocation effects.  Thaumaturgy is not common in an item.  Thaumaturgy implies some prep time normally even if it's just a few minutes.  I was just saying that a good rule might be no prep time for a thaumaturgy effect in an item less than/equal to your lore.