Author Topic: Catch Calculation & Catch Ideas  (Read 5253 times)

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Catch Calculation & Catch Ideas
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 04:20:27 PM »
Speaking of power sources, if your character needs some sort of treatment to keep him strong, stable and sane then perhaps he could have a feeding dependancy too. That's another [+1] and it could be something as simple as desperately needing sugar* or an injection of some kind**; or as obscure as an hour long 'shut-down period'***. Maybe even the blood of supernatural creatures or the tears of children, depending on how you want to play it.

Perhaps the catch could be related to it that way. For instance if he had a matrix-style port in the back of his head which he plugs in to the wall to power his nanites (go with me) then perhaps that's also his achilles heel (it's an obvious target, damage to it is easy to do so it's +3 or +4). Or perhaps you go in to a trance in direct sunlight, photosynthesising to feed your powers, and your catch is that strong sunlight weakens you as your body readies itself to feed, even if it's mid conflict.

Yes, I think too much :)

*Yes, diabetics have both a feeding dependancy AND a catch

**Chev Chelios from Crank also had a feeding dependancy

***As did Robocop

--------------------------

After reading your post, how about something like concentrated ultra-violet light. Maybe the magic used infused you with a vampires strength and a watered down version of it's weakness. It's researchable (perhaps your eyes turn insect-like or you grow fangs when you tap in to your strength), it's very common, and if you include it as your aspect then you could earn fate points for night-club scenes and any other scene involving a light like that. Plus that aspect could be used to bolster your strength powers, especially at night or in the dark :)

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
My take you are going adding too much value (mathematically) for your Catch.  The Difficult to Research would reduce the value of the Catch, not increase.  So, it would become a +1 Catch, not +3.
That's... not how a Catch works. A Catch is either 1) Common Knowledge, 2) Researchable, or 3) Impossible to research, at values of +2, +1, +0. I was just referring to #2, as it compares it to 'Requiring the research materials of a wizard's laboratory'. And my character would require 'The research materials of a classified government facility', which is roughly equivalent. Thus, +1. And, even at worst, it's a +0, not a -1. So, with your logic, it would be a +2 Catch, not a +1.

@CMEast
That's a rather neat idea, the light source trouble. May have to think that one over, and for the ultraviolet light one, add the caveat that it must be a large ratio of ultraviolet light (since ultraviolet exists in regular sunlight anyway, and, well, that would suck). O, the amusement of a 'superman'-esque hero running on the tears of children :D
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
Leatherneck: You're mis-reading the catch rules.  Yes, "Difficult to research" is worth only +1 - but that's in addition to any bonus for the rarity of the catch; assuming that the rarity is "Something anyone could get a hold of", the total catch is a +3.

That said, in order to get the +1 from difficult to research, it has to be *possible* to research the catch without knowing anything about your character in particular.  If you don't want something that can be researched via magical knowledge, I'd suggest making the catch publicly accessible knowledge - something that you can request information on under a freedom-of-information type act, or possibly something you can (if you know where to look) find online in an infodump some hotshot hacker dragged out of the federal computer systems.  In other words, findable, but not something most people could (or would think to try to) get their hands on.

As for what special material to use... I'd tend to either avoid the really obscure and hard to get things (like depleted uranium, or plutonium, or anything else that's likely to have legal restrictions on its possession) - at least unless you're vulnerable to multiple types of things.  Maybe gold?  It's nice and chemically inert - but can work as a catalyst.

Or, hey, here's a notion: it's not any specific element that you're vulnerable to, but extreme heat or cold; your powers protect fine against ordinary ice or fire, but you can be easily harmed by (and don't heal rapidly from) damage caused by, say, an oxy-acetylene torch, large-scale incinerator, or some twit with a flask of liquid nitrogen.  (Of course, that would mean that some - but not all - fire/ice magic will get by your defenses.  So sad.)

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »
Perhaps it could be as simple as a common allergy, but modified to be much much worse for the character.  Latex, perhaps?
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 04:46:15 PM »
Perhaps it could be as simple as a common allergy, but modified to be much much worse for the character.  Latex, perhaps?

But, but, that means no supersuit :-[ Relevant

@Wyvern
Eh, as you pointed out, extreme heat/cold is too much the realm of the supernatural. I'm still tending towards a material of some kind. If a depleted plutonium/uranium is too esoteric, I may have to go with something like platinum, if only to avoid the normal gold/silver commonalities ;D Though, there's a thought... what about radiation in general? So, any sort of moderate radiation. Though, I suppose that's not very portable, short of the aforementioned plutonium/uranium slugs :-\
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:50:08 PM by Holocron.Coder »
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
Latex? But then what is the 'superman'-esque hero going to do when he meets a feisty 'cat girl'-esque heroine! Oh the humanity!

Interesting idea though :)

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 12:44:17 AM »
IMO, if there are legal restrictions against obtaining a substance, then that substance does not count as "reasonably attainable by anyone".
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 01:18:55 AM »
Speaking of power sources, if your character needs some sort of treatment to keep him strong, stable and sane then perhaps he could have a feeding dependancy too. That's another [+1] and it could be something as simple as desperately needing sugar* or an injection of some kind**; or as obscure as an hour long 'shut-down period'***. Maybe even the blood of supernatural creatures or the tears of children, depending on how you want to play it.

Perhaps the catch could be related to it that way. For instance if he had a matrix-style port in the back of his head which he plugs in to the wall to power his nanites (go with me) then perhaps that's also his achilles heel (it's an obvious target, damage to it is easy to do so it's +3 or +4). Or perhaps you go in to a trance in direct sunlight, photosynthesising to feed your powers, and your catch is that strong sunlight weakens you as your body readies itself to feed, even if it's mid conflict.

Yes, I think too much :)

*Yes, diabetics have both a feeding dependancy AND a catch

**Chev Chelios from Crank also had a feeding dependancy

***As did Robocop

--------------------------

After reading your post, how about something like concentrated ultra-violet light. Maybe the magic used infused you with a vampires strength and a watered down version of it's weakness. It's researchable (perhaps your eyes turn insect-like or you grow fangs when you tap in to your strength), it's very common, and if you include it as your aspect then you could earn fate points for night-club scenes and any other scene involving a light like that. Plus that aspect could be used to bolster your strength powers, especially at night or in the dark :)

I have a character with a similar feeding dependency to robocop. My Bride of Morpheus character, who works through making dreams real, has to sleep a number of scenes off camera like a vampire would need to feed off camera. I havent had to sleep just yet, but its really interesting for that character since when she sleeps she just lives in the dream world, so instead of stepping out for a number of scenes she is forced to work a number of scenes in the dream realm. Very interesting character, shes based kind of off of persephone, and the whole summer winter thing, only with sleep/wakefulness.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »
@Wyvern
Though, there's a thought... what about radiation in general? So, any sort of moderate radiation. Though, I suppose that's not very portable, short of the aforementioned plutonium/uranium slugs :-\
How moderate the radiation? According to wikipedia:
Nausea and vomiting generally occur within 24–48 hours after exposure to mild (1–2 Gy) doses of radiation. Headache, fatigue, and weakness are also seen with mild exposure. Moderate (2–3.5 Gy of radiation) exposure is associated with nausea and vomiting beginning within 12–24 hours after exposure. In addition to the symptoms of mild exposure, fever, hair loss, infections, bloody vomit and stools, and poor wound healing are seen with moderate exposure.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 03:35:31 PM »
How much would this Catch be worth?

I'm making a Kitsune Changeling with a Catch for Toughness and Recovery of the human body.  In Japanes mythology weapons were coated with human spit to harm spirits more grievously, spirits couldn't escape from bindings made from human hair.  So basically my character has toughness and recovery from guns and blades, but if someone spits on the blade or even just punches him with their fists, he doesn't benefit.

How easy do you consider this to research?  How easily available do you consider it?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
@ ophidimancer - It isn't common knowledge, so only +1 for research, but it is very easy to get the supplies needed (human contact) so +2 for availability.  The catch isn't broad enough to get a +2 for how narrow the focus of the powers are though, so the most you'd get for this catch is a +4, though I'd give it a +3.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Doc Nova

• Conversationalist
  • Who needs a cab?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
I think luminos is right on the money (and that seems to be a common occurrence, I am learning).  Aside from the ick-factor, the only other limiter I could see on that is if someone declared that everyone in the vicinity just ate a bunch of crackers and are unable to salivate significantly...

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »
Well anything else from the human body could work, too.  Blood, hair, etc.  I just like the idea of him laughing off small arms fire, but but getting the crap beat out of him when someone decides to just beat him with their bare hands.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
As far as Catch ideas for the original character...I'd consider some type of drug that could be used in darts, hypodermics, etc. 

Perhaps the drug was conveniently 'banned' by the government for health reasons, to limit civilian supply?

So, it would take research to discover, and take a little work (black market contacts) to obtain...unless you're part of the government organization, doing 'legitimate medical research' on the drug.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Barrington

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 11:07:13 PM »
What if his catch was some sort of normally harmless over-the-counter drug that reacted with his enhancements somehow? Ibuprofen, for example. It's readily available and easily researchable, but it's not going to be immediately apparent that he's vulnerable to it. GREAT character idea, by the way. I wish I'd thought of it. Our game is set in Albuquerque, and there's a great big government lab complex just begging to produce a character like that.

On a different note, I have a character who I am going to take the Toughness and Recovery powers on at some point. He's a Holy fistfighter who channels angelic power through his body to make his fists burn evil creatures. Right now he's pure mortal except for the Holy Fire, but as he advances I'm going to say that channeling angelic energy has permanently changed his body and take the various Strength, Toughness, and Recovery powers. So! If he has Toughness and Recovery powers as a result of holy energy, what would a good catch be? Note that it can be a +1 or +0 if necessary. I have no problem spending the required refresh points for a power like that. It couldn't be something like Unholy Stuff, because the whole reason he was given this power in the first place is to FIGHT unholy stuff. Maybe some kind of ice magic? 

YOU ARE SO SMALL! IS FUNNY TO ME!