Author Topic: theoretical powergaming: maxing out an evocator  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: theoretical powergaming: maxing out an evocator
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »
Well, there are two versions of that, the Wizard, and the character who JUST has Evocation. They are quite different.

Wizard Version:
Superb Skills: Conviction, Discipline,
Great Skills: Lore

Powers:

Evocation [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
The Sight [-1]
Refinement [-2]

Specializations:

Evocation: Elements (Fire, Earth, Spirit); Power (Spirit +1), Control (Spirit+2)
Thaumaturgy: Crafting (Strength +1)

Focus Items:
Wand/Necklace [+3 Offenive Control with Spirit]

Enchanted Items:
Enchanted Shirt [8 Shift Block or Armor: 4, up to 5 times per session] (6 Enchanted Item Slots)

Rotes:
Veil (5 shift Veil, can be seen out of; 2 Stress mental hit.)
Area Blast (Weapon: 7 attack on an entire Zone, 4 Stress mental hit. Requires Focus.)
Disorient (8 shift Maneuver placing two Sticky Aspects on a particular target; 3 Stress Mental Hit. Requires Focus.)
Mystic Shield (7 Shift Block or Armor: 3; 2 Stress Mental hit.)

Defensive Enchanted Items are awesome, so while he could be an 8 shift defensive Evoker instead of having the Shirt, I went with the shirt and Spirit is honestly the best element, too. Rotes are all High Stress, because anything less on offense they'll always Control successfully, no matter what, and the defense ones are emergency use only anyway.

Non-Wizard Version:
Superb Skills: Conviction, Discipline,
Great Skills: Lore

Powers:

Evocation [-3]
Refinement [-6]

Specializations:

Evocation: Elements (Fire, Earth, Spirit); Power (Spirit +3, Fire+1), Control (Spirit+4, Fire+2)

Focus Items:
Ring 1 [+2 Offenive Control with Spirit]
Ring 2 [+1 Defensive Control with Spirit]

Enchanted Items:
Enchanted Shirt [6 Shift Block or Armor: 3, up to 3 times per session] (4 Enchanted Item Slots)

Rotes:
Veil (8 shift Veil, can be seen out of; 3 Stress mental hit. Requires Ring 2)
Area Blast (Weapon: 9 attack on an entire Zone, 4 Stress mental hit. Requires Ring 1.)
Disorient (8 shift Maneuver placing two Sticky Aspects on an entire Zone; 3 Stress Mental Hit. Requires Ring 1.)
Mystic Shield (10 Shift Block or Armor: 5; 3 Stress Mental hit.)

This character makes less use of their Enchanted defense, because their Evocation is actually better than it's possible for it to be, which makes things interesting and allows for some serious shields. Other than that works similiarly. An ideal strategy is to use Mystic Shield the first round, then extend it 8 rounds as a 1 Stress Evocation the next round, then start smiting with Disorient, followed by a slightly waker Zone attack than his Blast. That's some serous setup, but takes out almost any group of opponents you'd care to name. If the Area attack is defined as non-lethal, you can even use it on your friends without too many worries while you're at it.

The second character could probably benefit from Sponsored Magic, but would need to drop a full shift in power to do so, all told.

Offline Odd Man Out

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »
DMW; Just kinda curious about where you place Lore versus Conviction in terms of which is better at Superb. Usually I take Discipline and Lore as Superb with Conviction at Great when I do a Submerged Wizard due to the Focus Item Cap. Am I overlooking something in the switch?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 10:46:09 PM »
DMW; Just kinda curious about where you place Lore versus Conviction in terms of which is better at Superb. Usually I take Discipline and Lore as Superb with Conviction at Great when I do a Submerged Wizard due to the Focus Item Cap. Am I overlooking something in the switch?

You're usually not going to run into the Focus Item cap, honestly, but +1 Power on all magic AND a Mild Mental Consequence (and thus one extra spell per combat when necessary)? Always useful.

If you're aiming for a better Thaumaturge, dropping Discipline for Lore is probably the better way to go, Foci and Specialties can completely compensate for lower Discipline on the magic front, while nothing short of Refresh costing Stunts can give you that extra Consequence.

Oh and an addendum: I might allow the first character there in a particularly high-powered game, it's badass but not completely broken, the second is not something anyone should ever allow outside a theoretical exercise. Nothing else at this Refresh can compare and it will just make things less fun than everyone else.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 10:50:03 PM »
Plus its against implied rules.  Only wizards can spend more than two refresh on specializations.  See the sorcerer template.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »
Plus its against implied rules.  Only wizards can spend more than two refresh on specializations.  See the sorcerer template.

Emissaries of Power and other such things seem likely to be able to spend more, as was Mavra...

But yeah, I'd require at least both Evocation and Thaumaturgy, and likely The Sight as well before acquiring more than two or three levels of non-Item Slot Refinement.

Speaking of Items, either character can be made even more powerful via an Item of Power granting three levels of Refinement with a +2 Bonus for obviousness, but it'd jusr be more of the same (adding on two levels of Refinement)...or could grant the second one Sponsored Magic on top of his current stuff.