Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243400 times)

Offline Jinn Master

• Conversationalist
  • Sanity Roll!
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #465 on: August 11, 2010, 06:59:57 AM »
I actually almost didn't read the books because of the TV show. There were a few people I encountered who were real a-holes about the books being more fantastic, which I grant is often the case, but they were sort of ramrodding me not to watch the series and read the books instead.

So, out of sheer contrariness, I refused to read the books but watched the whole series and enjoyed it.

Then, later, I picked up the Codex Alera, enjoyed it immensely. I finished it about the same time as a friend recommended the Dresden Files to me- I hadn't realized they were by the same author. So I went and grabbed all the Dresden books and read them through the past week. I am now reading them all again, slightly slower, because the first time I didn't read them so much as voraciously devour them.
Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods...
-The Lay of Horatius

Offline Lullabeas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 19, 2010, 06:20:19 PM »
Exact opposite. Loved the books so thought I'd check out the show. Result: If I could throw the TV down in disgust as I do a hideous book, like those God-awful Weather Warden "novels," I would. I've just started "Birds of a Feather" (cliche cancer, it's here) and I have to pause every 2-3 minutes and do something else 'cause I just can't take it anymore!!!

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 19, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »
Where is the option for "Read the books way before I even knew about the show"

Offline newfan09

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 19, 2010, 07:39:56 PM »
It was the show that introduced me to my favorite book series.

So, although I am sorry for how it all went down between JB and the show, I am extremely grateful for it opening my eyes to this experience.
It might be nice to have brain damage. I already liked Jell-O.

Mo' magic, Mo' problems. -Jim Butcher

Offline Ilidsor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 22, 2010, 07:10:21 PM »
I saw the show when it came out, but didn't know it was based off of books. Then I found out about them while searching for the codex alera books.

I read them all in one month after that. Except changes which I'm still waiting for.

Offline Srenya

• Conversationalist
  • often it's not worth gnawing through the straps
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 27, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »
My "reading" is largely on audio- so when I look for new authors I'm really looking for good readers.  "Neuromancer" is a good book but listening to William Gibson read it- IMHO- is painful.  Where as I miss Douglas Adams with all my heart.

I found Jim's books through James Marsters.  I had listened to the first four books before I knew there was a t.v show and the show had already been canceled by then.
“May your life be interesting can be a potent curse.”
“Define interesting….oh God, oh God, we’re all going to die.”

Offline Ellen

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 30, 2010, 02:20:04 AM »
I've never actually seen the TV show.  I'm a member of the Lois McMaster Bujold list, and in a lull between books we were busy swapping recommendations, and a lot of folks enthused about DF.  I started reading them about a year ago and read straight through the whole series so far, including the short stories.  I'm hooked.

Offline Black Knight

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 30, 2010, 06:47:31 AM »
I have to admit I had never read the books till after buying the series on DVD.  I got hooked on the series as I was a avid Battlestar Galactica fan.  Yes both series I am one of the odd balls.  I was very impressed with the series and it looked interesting enough, but then again I miss the sites around Chicago so it does help curb the desire to go visit near home.  When I picked up the DVDs they had a add for the books and since they cancelled the show.  Hell figured might as well read the books and been hooked since. 

Offline Brian Cribb

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 01, 2010, 03:27:12 AM »
I saw the ads on the Sci-Fi Channel and was immediately interested. I was glad to see a Bogart-style private eye with a magical twist. Instead of magic solving problems without effort, Harry seemed to go through a LOT of effort. Plus, he got beat up occasionally, which is part of any detective story.

After the show was canceled I needed more Dresden, so I started on the books. I think I enjoyed everything a little more that way. I didn't notice when the show left something out. When I got to the books, the story seemed to grow larger and more complex. It was pretty awesome.

Now I'm checking out the comics, and it's another home run for Jim. Not only did he write a cool story, but he inspired some comic book guys to join in and add even MORE cool content to my Dresden collection. Somebody needs to make a cartoon out of this. Something clean enough for family viewing, but definitely written for adults. Maximize the audience without sacrificing quality.

Basically, I'll read about Harry Dresden in any format.   :-)

Offline heyurtthere

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 05, 2010, 01:04:09 AM »
I saw the show when it first came out and really liked it. I was mad that they cancelled it. I didn't know it was a book series until 2 years after the show went off the air when I randomly saw the title at BN. I looked it up on Amazon to see the average of ratings (like i do with all new fiction series) and got Storm Front. Then went back that night and got every other Dresden Files book after I'd finished SF.

Offline RitaJune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 07, 2010, 10:45:28 PM »
It was the show that introduced me to my favorite book series.

So, although I am sorry for how it all went down between JB and the show, I am extremely grateful for it opening my eyes to this experience.

To what does this refer? I was under the impression that JB was mostly okay with the show but is counting the days before the rights revert back to him. 

Offline Dosson

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 22, 2010, 04:16:39 PM »
I discovered the book through this forum I go to. When I picked up the first book in Chapters to sit down and read it, I thought my steamy pile of crap is better.

This was a year or so ago. I went back to reading the first book again with a bit more open mind and it's not as bad as I thought. Though others did say the later books are much better. 

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 23, 2010, 02:40:39 AM »
Starbeam had read the books and wanted to watch the show. I ,at the time, thought the premise was stupid but after watching the show and having her tell me where stuff had been changed piqued my interest. I read Stormfront while the show was still running and I haven't looked back. I am happy to admit I was wrong.
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Fleegle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 26, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »
I don't think I posted here yet.  I head about the books because of the TV show.  The reports of SciFi picking up the series mentioned that it was based on a series of books about a wizard in modern-day Chicago, and I thought that wounded interesting.  I think I made it from Storm Front through White Knight in about six weeks. 

And I proselytize the scripture of Saint Jim to everyone I can.  I've got at least a half dozen people hooked on the series.

Offline tallgrrl

• Conversationalist
  • I worked hard to find the right grey cat picture!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 01, 2010, 03:05:15 AM »
Where is the option for "Read the books way before I even knew about the show"

yep
~~~~~~~~~~~~Real men wear kilts!~~~~~~~~~~~
/// Death before Dishonor… nothing before coffee ///