Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243412 times)

Offline trouble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #450 on: June 28, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »
I had a friend recommend his books, and starting reading them before I'd even heard of the show (didn't have syfy then). That same friend recommended the show as well, so watched that in the middle of reading the books.

I didn't care for Storm Front that much, but told friend, I'd read Fool Moon and if I felt the same way, I wouldn't continue. Read Fool Moon, and now I can't get enough. I went from SF thru Changes in just a few short months, and am going thru withdrawal waiting for his next one.
Team Dresden

Offline cymry

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 05, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
hallo! new here :)
randomly picked up storm front in a little book shop when I was about 12 'cause it looked cool. sat on my shelf for a year, and then I just as randomly started reading it--been a complete and utter addict since. ;)  I hated the television show, but I wish it hadn't been canceled!

Offline Arkali

• Conversationalist
  • My clever one-liner...: Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 13, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »
I actually found Harry (and therefore Jim) via short story anthologies that I'd bought because they contained a story by another author I follow.  For instance, I just ordered two anthologies Strange Brew and Big, Fat, Supernatural Honeymoon - one because it had a story by Patricia Briggs and the other for a story by Marjorie M. Liu, and those last two stories (Last Call and Heorot) finally prodded me enough to get Storm Front.  I think I'd read three or four Dresden shorts before then, and it kind of piqued my interest, and it just finally reached critical mass.  I'm now caught up through Turn Coat, and Changes should be here tomorrow.
No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. - Vlad Taltos
Jhereg, by Steven Brust

Offline Strykker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 14, 2010, 05:53:15 PM »
one because it had a story by Patricia Briggs

Thats funny, because I discovered Patricia Briggs because Jim recommended her and did a blurb for Moon Called.
DV Strykker v1.1 YR:5 FR:5 BK++ JB TH+(++) WG+++ CL BC-- SW !SH

Offline Sye

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 15, 2010, 01:10:33 AM »
I saw the TV because I got "serious" about reading and I seriously loved the series. Never missed an episode. After I started reading, I found out (in a wiki-surfing bonanza) that the TV series was inspired by the books. I ordered the first 2. Then next 2. Then the next 4. Then the remaining 4. I just finished Changes yesterday, and I'm already jonesing for my next fix (waiting for books 2-to-6 of Codex Alera to arrive and for Side Jobs to be released).

Offline DresdenPhile

• Participant
  • ars est celare artem -- True art is to conceal art
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 16, 2010, 06:46:42 AM »
I started reading the books solely because I saw images of the artwork and that led me to some investigations of my own.  I started to read the books before the series came on, but hadn't finished the books that I'd purchased until the series was up and running.  It was a little confusing to be moving back and forth between them.
Give me one good reason not to fuego your ass...

Offline SpiritSAS

• Participant
  • Why am I wearing this silly hat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 26, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
I'd not heard of the Dresden Files before the show, but didn't realize or had forgotten they were based on a series of books.  I recently was reminded of that and, using my trusty Kindle, started to read the series.  I've now read all the novels from Storm Front to Changes, all in the last month or two.  I'm glad to hear there will be more. 

I liked the TV show, but it was too low budget for the stories the way they did.  Plus I remember reading that they did not air the shows in the order they were shot.  This made the ownership of the charaters in the show shaky, as we would see them somewhat comfortable in their roles and then not so much.  And powers or props demonstrated in an earlier episode are not apparent in ones that follow.

Blackthorne was reasonably cast but was written too weak for the role, like he was always out of his league and not in possession of the raw power he shows in the books.  It's like the show had a lot of cards stacked against it (much like against the Dresden character in the novels), but because of that he didn't come across as strong or smart enough to draw you into the show.  I think all this contributed to the show's downfall.

I think Morgan was cast well, but Valerie Cruz (as good as she looks) was far too tall for the part (she's over 5' 8" and we all know Karin M's character is supposed to be far closer to 5 feet). 

Anyway, I'm waiting for the next book to see what happens and find out
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
No, really, why the hat.  "I don't do hats."

SAS

Offline Tree

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 27, 2010, 07:18:25 AM »
I literally discovered Butcher by walking into a library, pulling a book out based on nothing but the image on the spine (incidentally it was furies of calderon), flipping to page 3 and reading 2 sentences. Upon deciding that I liked his writing style and being relatively intrigues by the cover I bought the 3 Alera books that were out at the time, followed shortly after by Dresden.

And they say you can't judge a book by its cover.

Offline davetheyogi

• Conversationalist
  • Must. Get. Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 27, 2010, 10:39:31 PM »
I picked up the first 3 Dresden books in my local library too.
I remember thinking, 'A wizard PI? that's gotta be bad.'
But what sold me was Jim's martial arts background.
So glad I picked them up.
Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, verily, he was totally pissed off

Offline Barron

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 27, 2010, 11:54:52 PM »
 8)I read at least the first 4 books before I knew there was a TV show, and I've still never been able to find it.  Is it on Scifi channel?

Offline davetheyogi

• Conversationalist
  • Must. Get. Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 28, 2010, 06:38:42 AM »
Its been canceled, and it was crap.
Personal opinion, I know. I was just never able to reconcile my self to the changes made to get it on the small screen.

I mean, why change Bob? Bob ROCKS in the books.
Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, verily, he was totally pissed off

Offline wvincagold

• Participant
  • Foo Dog owner and yes they are just that baddass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 28, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
I am a Newb to the books although I have read almost all of them. I watched the show and enjoyed it, thought it was a wonderful concept. I had no idea it was a book series until one day I am waiting in a an airport in Raleigh NC and looking for something to read. As I perused over many a book of forgotten lore I came across the Dresden files storm front. I could not get enough. My only wish is I could have found the books in order and read them that way! My favorite so far has been Dead Beat. Jim really has made a fantastic series come to life with great characters. My Favorites are (besides Harry) have got to be Toot Toot and the Mouse. I have to say though the show did not do the books justice. There was so much they could of done correctly and decided to screw it up. I will be glad when Jim gets the rights back and can possibly do some movies. It is time the harry potter kids found out what true wizardry is like!

Offline Eibhlin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 31, 2010, 02:07:59 AM »
Actually, I was turned on to the books by a friend and now have books 1-10 on my Nook. (I'm holding off on the next two until I get some work done :| )  My husband and I watched the TV series via Netflix streaming.  I have to admit, I was disappointed in the series.  I thought they could have done a lot better with it (although Terrence Mann as Bob wass great).  The best episode, IMHO, was Storm Front, it really showed off more of what Harry could do with magic.
"All that is gold does not glitter"

Offline Tri Force95

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 10, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »
Actually, I did, but that as before I even knew there was a book series. I only watched a couple of episodes of the show, however I did find it quite entertaining, especially the Hockey Stick staff.

Offline Earendil

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 11, 2010, 04:24:10 AM »
My sister in law recommended the books to me, but I didn't get around to reading them until the first previews for the show came out.