Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243402 times)

Offline fred2hc

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #435 on: April 13, 2010, 12:39:52 PM »
*hangs head* yes

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 15, 2010, 06:43:47 PM »
i saw the show first, didn't know that there was a book series, some of my friends recommended it to me but it wasn't till after i started reading the Anita Blake series that i found i really enjoyed modern day fantasy novels and that's when i picked up Dresden files and have yet to put them down.

i have since watches all of the episodes, and i like the books a great deal more.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline White Raven

• Conversationalist
  • Professional animal companion
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 17, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »
There's no option: saw the books in a store and started reading, hunted down other books but never was interested in the series
My wizard passed away a while ago, since then I've setup my own service. Call me whenever you need a shapeshifting white raven animal companion...

My element is air, my colour is blue; I value wisdom, knowledge and trinkets.

Offline sonieb

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 19, 2010, 01:13:35 AM »
No, I never heard of the show until after I began reading the books and looked online to see what else I could find out about the books, author and characters.

I found the books while browsing the shelves at Borders looking for something good to read. I can't believe I just picked it up cold, knowing literally nothing about anything about it and absolutely LOVED it so much!

Coincidence?

BtHMv2

« Reply #439 on: May 08, 2010, 10:56:56 AM »
 I picked up Storm Front and Fool Moon in my library. Before I'd finished Storm Front I bought all the available books, up to Dead Beat I think and since then have bought each book as soon as it was available. I still have not watched the TV series...

Offline dresden_fan89

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 08, 2010, 11:01:55 PM »
Hey guys, new here. I heard of the Dresden Files from my girlfriend. Read the short story "Something Borrowed" and absolutely loved it. From there I just devoured the books.

So anyways, my question is about the TV show. I haven't watched it yet and I'm kind of curious but cautious; I've seen too many good books fall victim to bad TV shows and/or movies. Is the TV show worth watching or is it something I could live without? I've read several posts here that have said good things about the show but I just want to be sure.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 08, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »
Hey guys, new here. I heard of the Dresden Files from my girlfriend. Read the short story "Something Borrowed" and absolutely loved it. From there I just devoured the books.

So anyways, my question is about the TV show. I haven't watched it yet and I'm kind of curious but cautious; I've seen too many good books fall victim to bad TV shows and/or movies. Is the TV show worth watching or is it something I could live without? I've read several posts here that have said good things about the show but I just want to be sure.

If you can suppress the desire to see the books on the screen, the show is probably okay for you; it seriously jigsaw-puzzled the books and only retained a few, mostly superficial parts thereof, but if you can separate it from your knowledge of the books, it's a reasonably enjoyable show - one of the few that Syfylis has done that don't out-and-out suck. But that's only if you're not expecting to "see" the books.

It was good enough that my wife and I were disappointed when it ended; we then found out about the books and never looked back. I'm just glad it happened in that order, because I would've been royally pissed at everyone involved if I had seen the books first and THEN saw the show - would've felt betrayed; as it was, we had fun with the show and then a lot MORE fun with the books.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 09, 2010, 03:54:26 AM »
If you can suppress the desire to see the books on the screen, the show is probably okay for you; it seriously jigsaw-puzzled the books and only retained a few, mostly superficial parts thereof, but if you can separate it from your knowledge of the books, it's a reasonably enjoyable show - one of the few that Syfylis has done that don't out-and-out suck. But that's only if you're not expecting to "see" the books.

It was good enough that my wife and I were disappointed when it ended; we then found out about the books and never looked back. I'm just glad it happened in that order, because I would've been royally pissed at everyone involved if I had seen the books first and THEN saw the show - would've felt betrayed; as it was, we had fun with the show and then a lot MORE fun with the books.

I watched the first episode before ever reading any of the books. In my experience, the book is almost always better than the TV show or the movie, so the next day I bought Storm Front and read it. Then I bought all of the others out at the time, which was shortly before White Night was published. I read all of the books, including WN, before watching the second episode of the show.

It worked out pretty well for me; the first episode let me know that I should check out the books, while also allowing me some warning about what the show was going to be like by the time I'd finished the books. I knew already that the show wasn't much like the books, and I was a little reluctant to start watching from the second episode onward since I liked the books more than what I'd seen of the show. Eventually, though, I did start watching the show again, and because I already had some idea of what to expect, the differences didn't hit me as a huge disappointment. I actually kinda liked it, and I would've kept watching if it had stayed on the air.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline ZethByrd

• Participant
  • Can't beat a Zombie Rex
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 24, 2010, 02:39:48 AM »
Hulu.com is your friend. I found Dresden Files TV show, mourned that there are only 12 shows (but have watched all of them at least twice), then chased up the books at the bookstore and library. They aren't the same, but the flavor is the same. (to me at least).

I'm happy to find this site and forum, I needed another way to spend time I should be working...or doing wash...or reading...or sleeping. *sigh*
TV first, then the books. What's the world coming to?

Putting Jim's kids through college, one book at a time. *edit* Two books at a time.

Offline ghostposts

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 02, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Found the books first, through my library. Looked up the series after.

Gotta say, I like the tv Bob better.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 15, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »
I read the books before I even knew there was a show. I have only watched the 1st 3 episodes. I haven't bothered to finish watching it because I just can't see how it could even compare to the books.

Offline FreshBrewedZombie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 17, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
I read an article in the now defunct Starlog Magazine :( then never actually watched the show, but picked up Storm Front at the bookstore....LOVED it, then went back and bought the rest!

PS, its my first post! yay!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.  ~Attributed to Groucho Marx

Offline jbigelow22

• Participant
  • Bob knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 22, 2010, 02:12:11 AM »
Similar thing for me. I was in a book store looking around and saw Storm Front. Grabbed it and tried a page or two. Bought it and 3 days later went after the next and so on and so on. Now I'm going through the audiobooks to catch all the little things that I missed.

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 22, 2010, 02:41:47 AM »
Neither!  I discovered the books because my GM is *big* fan of the FATE RPG system (and Spirit of the Century in particular) and he decided to run a Dresden Files game.  I started reading the books so I could build a suitable character and wolfed them down heartily.  Thus, Mr. Butcher has Mr. Hicks to thank for my (and my GM's) readership! :)
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline shackman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 28, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
I started reading the books years ago because Dana Stabenow - another author I enjoy - said they were great and she enjoyed them on her website. Dana is most recognized as the author of the Kate Shugak series in Alaska but she also writes sci-fi