Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243380 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #420 on: February 28, 2010, 02:20:20 AM »
Jim Marster's fan so I got a copy of Storm Front audiobook through interlibrary loan from TX.  Hooked immediately and now my library has the complete set of the books and the audiobooks.  I donated copies until they joined the bandwagon.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Vulcanisik

• Conversationalist
  • Everything burns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 21, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
One of my college professors showed Birds of a Feather to us in class. Shortly after I dove into Storm Front and never looked back.

Since then I've read every single Dresden novel and short story, and the Codex Alera. Can't wait for changes. Overall, after watching the entire TV series, I was slightly disappointed. I'm kind of hoping that Dresden will eventually get the movie presence it deserves.
Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

Offline coffipls

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2010, 07:01:30 AM »
saw the tv show, found the book and been hook ever since. cant wait for Changes to come out. i even read the Alera books.

Offline RitaJune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 03, 2010, 12:52:43 AM »
I found the show on Hulu last year when I was poking around for something to amuse me while unemployed. I learned of the books while reading the Dresden thread on Televisionwithoutpity.com. Being unemployed and not too sure about this Butcher guy ( ;) ), I bought the first three books at a used bookstore.   Then I was hooked.

Anyway, hi y'all. I'm new here - this is my first post, though I've been lurking for a bit.

Offline toddabearsf

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 05, 2010, 07:18:41 AM »
I was watching something else on the SciFi Channel (as it was called then) when I saw the promos for the Dresden Files.  I already liked Paul Blackthorne, so I started watching it and loved the series.  Unfortunate that they canceled it after one short season.  However, I noticed that the show as based on novels by Jim Butcher, so I ordered a few in paperback from amazon.com.  I've read every book to date.  I bought the two prior to the last one in hardback because I couldn't wait.  The last one I bought in Kindle Book format since I now own a Kindle.  I totally love Harry Dresden novels.  I've read all the short stories I can find as well and discovered some other authors in the process.

I know a lot of dyed-in-the-wool fans of the books didn't like the TV series because of changes they made in the ongoing story line.  I think the TV version worked very well for television, actually, with a slightly older Harry.  I didn't mind the hockey stick instead of a wizard's staff and the carved drumstick for a blasting rod at all, nor the Korean War-era jeep instead of the battered old VW Blue Beetle (which can't rightfully be called "blue" anymore).  When I started reading the books, I was just as enthusiastic to welcome Jim Butcher's original Harry Dresden and his world into my imagination.

Jim Butcher can certainly put a story together and he knows how to write.  I have a feeling that TV series is responsible for a goodly number of new fans of the books like me.  At least I hope so.  I'd love to think sales of his books went up significantly because of that TV series.  Jim deserves it.

Offline Beachdragon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 05, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »
I knew of the Dresden TV series but never watched it.  For some reason I was getting mixed up with that other show First Wave.

Anyway, a few months ago some friend recommended the Dresden books so I picked up Storm Front and have been loving it.  I love the writing, the way Harry thinks and talks just seems so realistic.  And it's funny to boot!

I'm a new fan so I'm making my way through the first book (though slowely as I really don't want it to end!) and I have the second book in queue.  I've been recommending it like crazy!

Offline Canicula

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »

I discovered Jim by buying a hardback on the discount table at the local Barnes and Noble. Since then, I have read every Dresden Files book more than once. I have gone back and watched many of the tv shows on YouTube as well.

How I wish I would have known about him when SciFi aired the show!

Offline davetheyogi

• Conversationalist
  • Must. Get. Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 05, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »
I had never heard of the show (I live in London) or the books.
I saw Storm Front in my local library and thought "a wizard PI? sounds like crap"
I know, how wrong can a guy be?
I read Jim's bio, and the fact that he was a martial artist decided me.

The next thing I know, I'm giving handjobs on the corner to get money for books and spending all my time on internet forums.
I'm just glad my mother isn't alive to see me like this.
Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, verily, he was totally pissed off

Offline Blampira

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 05, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
  ;D

Get that man a kleenex with a side order of Jimcrack to go.  And remind me never to shake your...anything.

Offline RitaJune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 07, 2010, 12:44:19 AM »
  ;D

Get that man a kleenex with a side order of Jimcrack to go.  And remind me never to shake your...anything.

Puts a new spin on the phrase "shake your moneymaker."

Offline Damien

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 07, 2010, 08:55:34 PM »
Personally, I got the books from my dad, read through about 4 of them, and then got the series on DVD. I now love both.

Offline Turanthor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 08, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »
I certainly discovered the series through the show. I did not catch it initially, then Sci-fi ran a 4 episode block and I happened to catch the last half of the 2nd episode and I was hooked. watched the next 2, then bought the rest off iTunes the next day and watched them all up to that point, think they had just put out the Storm Front episode.

I ordered the books the next day and White Night as soon as I finished reading Storm Front. I knew instantly that I was hooked and I just went ahead and ordered all the books and was caught up by the time WN actually was released.

But the show did it for me, even now having read Dresden, I still love the show. It reminds me so strongly of Angel, which was my favorite show on television when it was on. They even have the same composer doing to the Score to both shows: Robert J. Kral.

I am glad I had the books to fall back on, because I had really come to love the show by the time the losers at syfy decided it should be canceled, for some unknown reason considering it was pulling in a bigger audience

They are so stupid, look at this poll and how many people came to the books as a result of the show. That would have just grown the show and the books if they would have let it happen.

pretty lame, and I feel bad for Robert Hewitt Wolfe, love that guy's writing on Deep Space Nine and he was really figuring out how to make the Dresden Files click on the screen by the end. Second show he has been a part of that was really good on its way to excellent before being canceled or railroaded by hercules (Andromeda).

Offline B

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:24 PM »
Nah, I knew Jim and Shannon before I knew he was a writer. Found out he had gotten published and bought his stuff from the get-go. Now I gotta play catch up since I played hookey at work to read Changes Tuesday and Wednesday.
I am just wondering when he is coming back to Oklahoma for a visit so I can get him to sign my stuff...

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 09, 2010, 12:12:27 AM »
Nah, I knew Jim and Shannon before I knew he was a writer. Found out he had gotten published and bought his stuff from the get-go. Now I gotta play catch up since I played hookey at work to read Changes Tuesday and Wednesday.
I am just wondering when he is coming back to Oklahoma for a visit so I can get him to sign my stuff...

Are you one of his NERO comrades? If so, SNEAK ATTACK BOFFER TO THE HEAD! :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline mrkleve

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 12, 2010, 06:55:23 PM »
I had actually put Storm Front, Fool Moon and Grave Peril on my "To Read" list but didn't actually purchase them until I saw the "Based on the books by" VERY briefly in the opening credits.
DF Purity score 1.0: 63% - Warden
DF Purity score 2.0: 63.5% - Eldest Gruff
                                          Supernatural Power:94.2%