Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243399 times)

Offline sangria

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #405 on: January 19, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »
I think I got into Dresden Files in a very convoluted manner. My best friend's sister got into the TV show, liked it, and started reading the books. She got my friend hooked on the books and said friend pretty much threw Storm Front at me and told me to read it because she knows I like anything having to do with the supernatural/fantasy genre. I think I got into the TV show once I got caught up on all the novels, sometime after White Knight was released.
English: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats other languages up, and steals spare vocabulary.

Offline Tanker270

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 26, 2010, 10:33:55 PM »
I actually found a copy of Proven Guilty in my driveway one day, I assume one of the neighbors lost it.  I gave it a read and have been hooked ever since.  I went right out and bought the entire series.  Now I am anxiously awaiting the next book.

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #407 on: January 26, 2010, 10:47:12 PM »
I actually found a copy of Proven Guilty in my driveway one day, I assume one of the neighbors lost it.  I gave it a read and have been hooked ever since.  I went right out and bought the entire series.  Now I am anxiously awaiting the next book.

So it's kind of like "The Gods Must Be Crazy" only with you the native finding a Dresden Files book on your land ;)

Offline Tipi

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2010, 03:49:06 AM »
Did you put up found poster/signs and find who lost it?
might get a good reading buddy out of it or something

Pain is to be endured.
It ends or it does not.

Offline EvulTwin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 02, 2010, 03:56:06 AM »
I saw one episode of the show, saw the Based on a book line and went out and bought all of the books that had been published up until that time.  I have since purchased the new ones as they came out, bought the comic book and am anxiously waiting for the newest.  The characters in the Dresden books are so much richer than the t.v. show made them seem.  A hockey stick??? Murphy not knowing about the magic?  A jeep.  *Rolls eyes and makes gaggy sounds*

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 06, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »

Wow...Best way to find out about the series -ever!

Usually my family and I find books thrown away, and sometimes read them, but usually they aren't much good.

Why would anyone in their right mind, leave such a beautiful wonderful super amazing book lying in the yard?

Offline Tanker270

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 10, 2010, 04:06:56 AM »
I actually assume that one of the neighborhood kids lost it on the way to bus stop.  I had my son inquire around, but no takers, so it is all mine. ha ha ha  Call me greedy, but since it has led me to the series, I will take the bad karma as a trade off.  Besides, I have turned a couple of people onto the series as well, so hopefully I will be forgiven.  After all, He works in mysterious ways!  Or maybe Uriel is a fan of more than The Two Towers! hhhmmmmmm........

Offline PCBones

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 10, 2010, 04:52:23 AM »
I also am like the reverse....I got into the books from oldest son.  But I didn't even know there was a Dresden Files TV show...til Nov when i'm on line doing Christmas shopping..and saw the TV Dresden Files show...What there is is a TV DVD show of Jim Butchers books?  I asked my son if he knew it and said oh yea... I watched..but its not as good as the books. 

Well would you believe I still haven't seen it yet?  Been pretty crazy around here (what with my youngest son coming home from Iraq..and nephew leaving for Iraq) just trying to find times to re-read the books while so patiently waiting for Changes to come out!!
But have finally ordered them today on Amazon!  Am looking forward to seeing it...although hearing what so many think of the charaters...is interesting.  The guy playing Harry ...well lets put it this way...he sure sounds like he is pretty COOL...as I haven't heard anyone dis like him yet.
NO matter what...I love the Dresden Books...I can't rememebr the alst time I read a book that made me laugh and cry...they are all awesome!!

Offline knucklekraken

• Conversationalist
  • Take seriously at own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 11, 2010, 02:53:07 AM »
I was given the first book for my birthday by a sadistic friend who wants me to be broke forever.
How am I? I think I'll live. Which I hear is a good thing. Come to think of it, though, I haven't talked to anybody who's tried the alternative. There's probably a bias there. I'll get back to you.

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 11, 2010, 05:05:44 AM »
^dude.
I want your friend.

Anyone who wants to provide me with birthday books, is A-Ok in my book.

Offline wizardsrule

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 17, 2010, 05:30:48 AM »
Yes I saw the show first, had to wait for it to come out on dvd and then rented it as fast as I could. Then I bought first book, and well started getting them two or three at a time. Now I can't wait for Changes. . .

Offline Shadow_Dresden

• Participant
  • Still lurking about in the shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 24, 2010, 09:08:24 PM »
Partially. I mainly found out about the series, thanks to another forum that I'm a member of. A lot of other members liked the series and were recommending it to other members.

Offline Chepi

• Participant
  • What I need are minions
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
I watched the DVDs because a friend told me I HAD to since she knew I liked stuff like this.  I liked the ideas and I loved Bob's character.  I Googled Dresden Files and found out about the books and started ordering them and was hooked.   
"Polka will never die!"

Offline AnInnocentBystander61

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 28, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »
hi all been away a while (well i have been lurking only cause I forgot my password) im a librarian and i love jim butcher's creations.  we have all the books so far in our library and just waiting on the latest book.  I was introduced to the series by a patron of mine (who has since passed away  may he rest in peace) i get  a kick out of reading the boards but I just wanted to comment on some stuff so Imm back!!!! ;D  I will be posting more in the days to come.  by the away I forgot how to post quotes to the forum the kind that go in every post a member makes can some one point me in the right direction I would like to personalize my posts thanks millions!! :D

Offline Murphy Fan

• Participant
  • Bay Area
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 28, 2010, 01:51:07 AM »
Friend gave the DVD set to me a few years ago. After watching them .. found the books .. loved DF .. read all DF books and had to read all Jim B books (comics graphic novels also) only have 1/3 left in the Tavi series then I am stuck for reading JB. My have to start drinking Jim Bean to make the time go fast. Watched most of the U-tube interviews and just thankful great fiction is still being produced in good old USA.