Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243419 times)

Offline LegendaryStory

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #330 on: July 18, 2009, 01:35:21 AM »
i actually read the second book, then realized it was the second and not the first, then went back and read the first one, that was about two three years ago? i have every book since then. and loving it. i actually never heard of the tv show 'till a friend of mind said "is that like the tv series?" when i was in Latin class, but i don't have cable or whatever so i didn't know, still don't. but yeah, thats how i 'found harry'

Offline Sue

• Conversationalist
  • Words, once printed, have a life of their own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 23, 2009, 02:04:43 AM »
When the show was cancelled I researched and found out about the series. I started buying the books, first the compiled books from the Science Fiction bookclub, then one by one.

Love the series!  ;D
ALL the Gods should be honored, you never know which one is listening …

│▒│ /▒/
│▒│/▒/
│▒ /▒/─┬─┐
│▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐┘┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒│
☮*☮*☮*☮*☮

Offline fitzypoop

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Ace Serial Heroes
« Reply #332 on: July 28, 2009, 09:05:51 PM »
One of my coworkers pointed me to the show and I went and downloaded a couple of episodes.  At the time the series was still on-going so after i watched those episodes I grabbed the first book.  I've been hooked ever since.

Absolutely love the books, the tv show was good but the books are always better. :)
http://dash.netii.net
Diamond Ace Serial Heroes

Offline Aludra

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 28, 2009, 09:27:27 PM »
There's no option for "Read the books then learned about the TV Show".

Sigh*

I found Butcher in a SFF anthology.  The books are great and so was the show.
I knew him when he was just an IBM
John Scalzi, Android's Dream

DV Aludra v1.2 YR2 FR1.5 BK+ RP JB TH(!TH) ?WG ?CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH[Murphy-, Molly--, Lara+]

Offline christineocheallaigh

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2009, 04:33:05 AM »
Saw the series first on Sci-Fi Channel, probably the second time around (since book #3 came out in 2001, in paperback, anyway, and says "As seen on SciFi" right on the cover, I'm guessing that the TV series actually came out a few years before I noticed :-P).  Watched every episode, loved it, wished they'd make more, but it didn't occur to me until a few weeks ago to check to see if our local library actually carried the books---not really surprising, considering they had the entire Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton, right up to the at-the-time-current book, except for the very first book in the serie---now what the heck good does it do to have numbers 2 through whatever, if you don't have the first book?!?  They finally got the first book a couple years ago, and that's when I started reading that series.  So it really wouldn't have surprised me one bit to either not find the series at all there, or find some but not all of the books, or even books 1 through 3 and then 10 and 11, but none of the others in between...they do that on so many other series, I just want to walk up to whichever librarian actually orders the books and smack her in the back of the head, Gibbs-style, just on G.P.  (If you don't watch NCIS you won't know who Gibbs is, but that's okay, my friends and I get it, so that's what counts.  :P)

Anyway, now that I've discovered they really do have the series there, I've checked out all of them I can get my hands on (the first 10), and have number 11 on reserve for me.  I just found out tonight there are 13 books in the series?  Doesn't surprise me that the library just got in number 11 (it was on their new shelf).  They'll probably get around to getting numbers 12 and 13 about the time number 15 hits bookstores.  We'll probably have to start buying the books ourselves, just to be able to read all of them before they go out of print. :P

Offline aprugaria

• Participant
  • Not in the Face!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 08, 2009, 08:00:04 AM »
Sorry to say I had read all the way up to Turn Coat before i even watch the first episode.
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Can we talk about this first?

brokenlookinglass

« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »
"Never heard of him before the show, but reading him now."  Although to be far, I can't remember if I saw any of the series before I started reading him, or not.  I remember that I kept trying to watch it on Hulu, but could never seem it work properly (it's all Harry's fault) So I went on vacation back home to see some family and grabbed White Night for the plane, got it because it was the only one that Borders had in hard cover. Came home and promptly bought all of the books reading from the beginning and than bought the dvd's and watched the series in it's entirety.

Offline doink67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 31, 2009, 12:58:17 AM »
I didn't even know the books existed until after the show was canceled (Thanks, Google) then I didn't get to read most of the books until a few weeks ago, due to my library's lack of the series (only Blood Rites, Death Masks, and Proven Guilty), and the fact that I'm cheap like that
DV doink67 v1.2 YR4 FR2 BK++ RP JB TH++ WG+ CL-- SW BC MC++++
"What would you like your name to be, Cross Wishbone Wishbone Cup of Tea Snake Sigma Snake Cross?"-Priscellie
"Do you know who keeps the gate?""Keeps the gate?""Keeps the gate.""Yes, I know who keeps the gate, he lives near the Outside."

Offline SummerGirl

• Conversationalist
  • Thank you shiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 06, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »
My geek crew suggested this series to me and I love them for it.  :-*

Never watched an episode and don't plan to.

"Ubriacha, ubriachas, ubrium..." ~ HD

Offline lawdawg7051

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 06, 2009, 04:18:20 PM »
i was watching the show when it first came out. i liked the show and after a couple years i decided to find out why it got cancelled in the first place. upon doing so i learned of the books. picked up storm front two weeks ago and finished turn coat 2 days ago. never hade a book series that hooked me like that before. i am in no way a speed reader. i would have to say that this is the fastest reading i have ever done! the books are by far the best series i've read.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 06, 2009, 04:53:34 PM »
I just want to walk up to whichever librarian actually orders the books and smack her in the back of the head, Gibbs-style, just on G.P.  (If you don't watch NCIS you won't know who Gibbs is, but that's okay, my friends and I get it, so that's what counts.  :P)

It's been called a dope-slap for quite a long time, well before Mark Harmon was even born. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline ImmortalPolka

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 06, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »
There was a looooooong gap between watching the show and the books. One day I was surfing around and ran across a reference to the show and shortly after that I was in Borders books and they had a sale on that included the Dresden books. I bought "Storm Front" and "Grave Peril". Two and a half months later and I've burned through all the books and all the short stories except two.

To fight the effects of withdrawal, I'm on the forums, will be rereading the series (slowly, this time), and will try listening to one of the audiobooks. I think if I can make it till January and the distractions of the Olympics and then the return of "Lost" and "24" I can make the long haul to next April without ending up in the fetal position.  ;D

Offline SummerGirl

• Conversationalist
  • Thank you shiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 06, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »
^ Yeah, I blew through the books and am currently rereading too.

"Ubriacha, ubriachas, ubrium..." ~ HD

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #343 on: September 24, 2009, 12:46:48 AM »
I didn't even know about the show really. I sort of saw an episode a while back called "Bourne Identity" on Sy-fy not too long ago and it looked interesting but I didn't get into it till I found it on Hulu around early August of this year. Then I found out it was not only cancelled but 12 episodes. *cries*

Then I thought, It's a book series too? So I went to the local 2nd hand bookstore chain (Half-Price books) and found "Dead Beat" and read it and fell in love! So then I read "Storm Front" and have been reading them on and off more or less out of order till I can finish them and go into withdrawal for 6 mos till "Changes" comes out.  :'(

So yeah... I've got three books left and I'm reading one of them now. Then I have to wait... wait... wait...

But I have kept myself busy writing fan fics based of DF. :D

=======
Blue Girl Graphics
http://www.elledeegee.net

Offline yoyomaieggroll

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 24, 2009, 08:47:56 AM »
I happened to see the TV series box set at my local library. I borrowed it and finished the whole thing in less than one week (neglecting my poor homework). I noticed it said based on the books, and I remembered seeing the books with the cool-looking covers on the shelves at the bookstore (who says you can't judge a book by its cover?). I bought book 1 yesterday and finished it (once again neglecting homework, noticing any patterns?) and bought book two today, although I have yet to get past the first chapter...
(by the way, I'm new to the forums, nice to meet everyone, if this is what you call meeting people I'm not sure if there is little enough people here for my newness to even register, or if I'll be one among the masses)