Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243409 times)

Offline JediAlly

• Participant
  • "Life's a river, you gotta go where it takes you."
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2009, 12:40:35 AM »
Have to say that I watched my friend's dvds of the TV show and then they told me about the books so I started borrowing their copies to read.   guess reading the books after seeing the show will make it different cause I can hear the actors' voices in my head as I read.    I'm currently on ch 28 of book 5 and can't wait to read the rest.
"Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that bothering me before I've had my first cup of coffee is hazardous to your health." 
--"Burnt Offerings" LKH
"Run Away. Me and Monty Python." --pg 4 "Blood Rites"

Offline MBH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 13, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »
I agree with your sig, JediAlly...and nice name!   ;)
"Life is loneliness, broken only by the gods taunting us with friendship and the odd bonk." ~ FOOL, Christopher Moore

~Amanda~

Offline JediAlly

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 13, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »
I agree with your sig, JediAlly...and nice name!   ;)

thank you. I quite like the quote, it fits me to a T.  My username is for sci-fi con. 

ok so question, why was Wrigley Field the spot for the vamp duel in book 5?  As a Cub fan myself, that is so wrong.  lol  Couldn't they have destroyed comisky park instead?   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:15:54 PM by JediAlly »
"Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that bothering me before I've had my first cup of coffee is hazardous to your health." 
--"Burnt Offerings" LKH

Offline magic penguin

• Posty McPostington
  • what goes around come around
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com/
« Reply #318 on: May 14, 2009, 03:22:06 PM »
I saw the show enjoyed it.... never thought of reading the books until I saw a posting on SCIFI.com on the show there was an interview with Jim.  Fell in love with him and bought the book immediately.  Been hooked ever since.  Now I'm addicted to this website.
"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good" Harry Dresden- White Night.

Offline JediAlly

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 14, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
I saw the show enjoyed it.... never thought of reading the books until I saw a posting on SCIFI.com on the show there was an interview with Jim.  Fell in love with him and bought the book immediately.  Been hooked ever since.  Now I'm addicted to this website.

same with me. Watched the whole series and then my friends got me reading the book series and am loving them!
--"Burnt Offerings" LKH

Offline Hypochondriac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 17, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »
Heard of the Books on another forum I visit. Never got around to reading the novels until I saw an episode or two of the show. Asked how it compared to the books. Then started reading the Books. It took me about 2 weeks to read all the published books :)

Dr. Blood

« Reply #321 on: May 18, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »
I first saw the show on Sci fi.  I had no idea that books were out there until I was in a borders a couple of years ago and saw Deadbeat on a summer reading display. 

So I started the series with DB and loved it.  I then went back and purchased all the books.  Have loved them all. 

Offline JediAlly

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2009, 12:31:02 AM »
I first saw the show on Sci fi.  I had no idea that books were out there until I was in a borders a couple of years ago and saw Deadbeat on a summer reading display. 

So I started the series with DB and loved it.  I then went back and purchased all the books.  Have loved them all. 

did that confuse you or anything to read the books out of order?  I think Dead beat is the one I have next after I finish Blood rites. 
--"Burnt Offerings" LKH

Offline Red Eyed Jack

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 28, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »
My intro to the Dresden Files...

I had seen the novels in the bookstore before and never really thought anything about them. Later I had a chance to look over the prequel graphic novel at a store. It was only recently that I picked up the first three via the Science Fiction Book Club. The 3-in-1 book kept sitting on my shelf until I came across the first season of the Dresden Files in a Sam's Club. I devoured those DVDs and was eager to read the books at that point. I am so glad I did things in that order. The books are outstanding, while the TV series came off fairly flat in comparison. Now keep in mind I really did enjoy the TV series before reading the books, but I know I wouldn't like it as much now if I was watch it again.

Way too many "little differences" between the show and the books.
Harry + Susan forever

Offline dancingarden

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 29, 2009, 01:13:56 AM »
I watched the show but never knew there were books. Which boggles my mind because I'm totally a book-before-screen type of gal.  Somehow, till a  month ago, I did not know the books existed. I blame getting preggo and having no time to keep up in the fandom world these past few years....

However, my hubby purchased all the books except the most recent and we have read them the past 3 weeks. :)  I am totally hooked!

Offline paulo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 30, 2009, 05:51:46 AM »
No, never heard of the show until after i read Blood Rites, i'm from Australia and i never heard of such show and if it does exist here, it would be on cable. I actually read Turn Coat first, i thought it was very good so then made it my mission to track down the whole dresden series and read them all. I succeeded in this other than Summer Knight and Death Masks, but only after reading Blood Rites did i look on the website and realised there was a TV show.

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 30, 2009, 09:26:11 PM »
No, never heard of the show until after i read Blood Rites, i'm from Australia and i never heard of such show and if it does exist here, it would be on cable.

Odd! I'm an Aussie, too, but it was completely reversed for me. I am a massive sci-fi fan so I tend to keep a lookout on the american airwaves for new shows so that I can actually see them. For example when firefly aired here it was at 2am. I almost missed it completely. So I cut Australian tv out of the drama and get my tv online from America.
My friend, who was the same as me, had read Storm Front before and had sent me a pdf version to read (I didn't for a few reasons) But yeah.. the tv show was easy to find, Dresden Files books I could only ever find online. Our book stores suck. (One even told me that one of the books was out of print and not being printed anymore, only a little after it's release)

So officially it was the TV show that interested me enough to go out and hunt down the books. And I had a cool image/voice in my head for Harry right from the start.

Offline paulo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »
thanks to my local library, otherwise i wouldn't have discovered Blackstone Dresden!!

Offline kingaling

• Conversationalist
  • THE VOICES ARENT REAL, but have some good ideas
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 01, 2009, 04:46:23 AM »
When I was 14 (about 9 years ago) I began practicing witchcraft and was already deep into Occult lore. I asked my girlfriend at the time what name I should choose for myself (as I HATED my name at the time, Garrett [yick]) and she told me that I should call myself Dresden. She'd gotten the idea from the band "The Dresden Dolls", which I fell in love with and became Dresden King.

Then a few years pass by and I'm sitting in bed with my wife (not the same girl as before) doing my research and jotting down notes. We had it flipped to Sci-Fi and out of nowhere I hear...

"I sorcerer for Hire..." yadda yadda, and then "The Dresden Files" and I was like  :o. And my wife looked at me at the same time. Then my mom called and told me she'd seen the preview and immediately thought of me.

She later told me that there was a book series. So before the show premiered I had read the first 4 books (SF, FM, GP & SK).

Now I'm an addict, and have spread the Dresdenverse drug to my friends and family. My mother, uncle, and all of my friends have read the books. And even better, they can't help but think of me. My friend Brandon was telling me "yeah..every time I read Dresden I go 'yep, that's what our Dresden would do, too...if he could.'" haha. It's very flattering.

And no...I haven't contacted the fey yet. But interestingly enough, I AM an Occult Investigator here in Oregon.

SHORT VERSION: Heard a commercial and was told of the books soon after, read them quickly. I'm an addict now, thanks Jim.
Son of Blampira and father to the vampire in her sig.

"It's good to be King." - Mel Brooks

"I have an idea! An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Offline Vahkrin

• Participant
  • Lurkin' lurkin' lurkin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 01, 2009, 10:17:58 PM »
My brother and I discovered the TV show a few years back, and thought it was pretty cool. Didn't miss an episode. We were pretty curious as to why no new episodes were coming on after awhile, so we did some digging, and were massively disappointed to find out that it had been canceled.

But then we saw that there was a book series.  :P

A few years and 6 books later, we're hooked (My mom included) and can't wait for the library to order the next one.